Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
littlemissinda
macrumors newbie

iBook G4 battery and power adaptor seem to have gone baaaad!

Hi,

I bought my lovely little 12" iBook in 2005 (I think). It has been totally fine so far but a few months ago, my battery didn't keep it's charge very well and I lost more and more power till about a month ago when it only managed to keep enough power for half an hour's use. So, being quite poor at the moment I thought, OK, that's a pain but I'll just use it straight off the mains. But now the charger is not working at all, it provides juice for about 2 mins then the light on the charger jack that goes into the iBook goes off and very soon after, bye bye Mac.

So, that leads to my question, when I googled iBook battery and charger, I got lots of hits for other (non-Apple) sellers of batteries and chargers. Can these cheaper versions be trusted or should I go ahead and fork out the money for proper genuine Apple products bought from the Apple shop???

Thanks all for any and all help!
littlemissinda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:26 PM   #2
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

I can only speak for my experiences, but the third-party charger I bought from my local Apple certified retailer was about $40 cheaper than Apple's offering, so I picked it up. When I got home and plugged it in, the first thing I noticed was a constant high-pitched whine the whole time it was charging. As well, when I connected it to my iBook, it gave off a fat spark at the connector.

I immediately returned it and bought a real one. Spend the money.

As for the battery, it's worth getting a new one when you can afford it. You can get ~6h of battery life out of a new one. Those things just don't stop.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:12 AM   #3
littlemissinda
macrumors newbie

:)

Thanks BlueRevolution! I thought as much, just needed someone to tell me that I was spending the money for a good reason.

But am now also thinking I would like to buy a new Mac in September with Snow Leopard, might as well use my Education discount whilst I still can
littlemissinda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs