Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

153534-macbook.jpg

Apple today updated its 13" aluminum MacBook, rebranding the model as part of its MacBook Pro line. The new model offers the same non-user-replaceable battery found in the 17" MacBook Pro and adds a FireWire 800 port and an SD card slot. Pricing begins at $1199, a $100 drop over the previous entry-level price point, and all models include backlit keyboard.
The new 13-inch MacBook Pro is a significant upgrade at a lower price than the original aluminum MacBook it replaces. With the same sleek and durable design popular with consumers, students and professionals, all 13-inch MacBook Pro models now include a seven hour built-in battery, an SD card slot, a FireWire 800 port, an illuminated keyboard and an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut.
Hard drive and RAM options for the 13" notebook are the same as in the new 15" MacBook Pro, topping out at 500 GB and 8 GB respectively. The new MacBook models offer the following price points and features:

- $1199. 13" MacBook Pro. 2.26GHz. 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400. 160GB HD. Firewire
- $1499. 13" MacBook Pro. 2.53GHz. 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400. 250GB HD. Firewire

Apple is now reserving the "MacBook" name for the white polycarbonate model. The new MacBook is available at immediately.

Article Link: Apple Updates 13" Aluminum MacBook, Rebranded as "MacBook Pro"

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Was hoping for a 9600 in there, but too little room/too hot...? I was ready to buy (i.e. swap my 15") if it had a dedicated GPU and a higher res display. I guess I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking, as it is really quite cheap.

Also, I've got to check out the display, see if they are any better (I know about the silent upgrade in April). As long as it is on par with the Air, I'm interested.

As much as I love the Unibody design, I wish Apple would make the black bezel as thin as it is on the 17" MacBook Pro. It just looks much slicker.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
FireWire makes a welcome comeback on the MacBook as Apple gets the design "right" on this new revision. Time to see what controller they used.

The non-replaceable battery might be worth the suffering it might cause.

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
This is definitely the happiest day of my life. This is such a deal. I just don't know what to do. Thank you, Apple. It's about time you gave this thing a price cut AND improved awesomeness.

Wordslinger29

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
I guess Apple is afraid of offering a sub-$1000 notebook. Why drop the price on the 13" aluminum and not on the the white MacBook? For only a $200 difference, I'd think most people would go with the 13" MacBook Pro.

WhiteNoiseMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
I was so ready to replace my 2006 Core Duo MB with a new 15" MBP (mainly for the firewire), but now this update and price drop has got me thinking get the 13" MBP. I might wait a couple of weeks for the first reports/problems to come before ordering though.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I'll definitely want to see that KB article.
Found it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

MacBook Air (Original), MacBook Air (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off by choosing Shutdown from the Apple () menu.
  2. Connect the power adapter to a working power source.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
  4. Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to start the computer.
Note: You must use the keys on the left side of the built-in keyboard.
You should only perform an SMC reset when the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) has been properly shutdown. This prevents issues from occurring to the file system.
While the power adapter does not need to be connected to reset the SMC, it may be necessary in situations where the battery needs charging or if the computer has been without power for an extended period of time.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
my friend just bought a macbook a few days ago, can she trade it in and get paid back the price difference?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
The return of Firewire means I can again consider the Macbook. I bought a closeout white Macbook when the Unibody was released because I need Firewire for my cameras. Glad to see that Apple listened to the users.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple needs to start offering Blu-Ray on their laptops and desktops. this is freaking ridiculous how long it is taking them to support the format.

They don't even have to offer models which burn BD discs, they can offer BD reading superdrives, and offer BD burning as an option.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
The return of Firewire means I can again consider the Macbook. I bought a closeout white Macbook when the Unibody was released because I need Firewire for my cameras. Glad to see that Apple listened to the users.
To be super technical, it's now the MacBook Pro that includes the FireWire 800 port, and not the MacBook.

I guess this is the "13-inch unibody that it should have been" from October.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I was so ready to replace my 2006 Core Duo MB with a new 15" MBP (mainly for the firewire), but now this update and price drop has got me thinking get the 13" MBP. I might wait a couple of weeks for the first reports/problems to come before ordering though.

+1. Exactly the same situation for me. In the next few months my Core Duo Macbook is being retired. I was going to go 15" MBP but these new ones tick all the right boxes for me: firewire, GPU and an affordable price (with student discount).

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy all the kinks will have been ironed out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
SOOOOO excited about this!

My first mac will now be a 13" macbook PRO, with a backlit keyboard (yay), FW800 (that thread actually converted me), SD slot (eh), and the mythical battery! (I was excited to get more than 1.5 hours that I do on this toshiba, now I get 7!!?).

Holy crap I'm excited, and its a crapload cheaper too!

I can't decide to get the base model or the next step up. How much will it be to scrap the 2 x 1GB RAM in favor for 2 x 2 GB??

mrbeaverhousen

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Finallyyyyy I'll be buying the new Macbook. Does anyone know when they ship to stores? I know it's available online but I called 2 Apple stores here in NY and it's not in stock yet. They didn't know when it was coming in either. I hope it's soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.