Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steely

macrumors member
Original poster
I've had Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard for several months now. It's served me very well every minute that I've used it, but I've recently noticed that it's starting to get a little dusty in the tray underneath the keys.

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what the best way to clean this thing out is? Compressed air will only get me so far, and there are many places underneath that are proving to be quite stubborn. I'd like to pop the keys off, but I don't want to risk breaking anything... I've seen online tutorials detailing how to disassemble an Apple Pro Keyboard, but nothing regarding their newest keyboards.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Actually, the keys pop off quite easily. When I got mine, one of the rubber things that acts as the spring was in backwards, so Apple sent me a new keyboard, but I was able to take apart the other one, and fix it. You just need a small screwdriver, and be gentle so you don't scratch the plastic or actually break anything. If you can pop off the keys, it makes it very easy to clean. Just be careful because the space bar, shift keys, and some of the other longer keys have these metal things in them, and you don't want to bend them. You also have to be careful when putting those back in, making sure the metal thing goes where it's supposed to.

steely

macrumors member
Original poster
Hmm... you're quite right. I just pryed off one of my shift keys using my mechanical pencil, and it worked pretty well. Thanks for the info.

And oh yeah, hook 'em horns all the way. I'm from Austin, and though I'm in California now, I still bleed burnt orange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.