Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 11, 2004, 02:33 PM   #1
the_wallcrawler
macrumors regular

Wireless Card - Airport or other?

you may have read earlier about my network card getting fried. well now ill be picking up a wireless card for my tibook 400. would the old airport card work best?
the_wallcrawler is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 03:25 PM   #2
cpjakes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wallcrawler
you may have read earlier about my network card getting fried. well now ill be picking up a wireless card for my tibook 400. would the old airport card work best?
That's the only one that will work internally, actually. There are some PCMCIA cards that work, but the internal one is just so much more elegant. Plus you don't have to worry about breaking the card off because it sticks out from the machine.

cpjakes
cpjakes is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 03:46 PM   #3
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
i would reccomend getting the airport extreme card with the converter module (both available from apple.com/store) you may as well go up to airport extreme... otheriwse, you can still get an old airport card (native to your laptop) from apple.com/store as well.

good luck!

(sorry about the network card)
Old May 11, 2004, 03:54 PM   #4
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrjohnson
i would reccomend getting the airport extreme card with the converter module (both available from apple.com/store) you may as well go up to airport extreme... otheriwse, you can still get an old airport card (native to your laptop) from apple.com/store as well.

good luck!

(sorry about the network card)
there is NO converter for an airport extreme card to fit in your TiBook internally. The converter at the apple store is for a different purpose.

i would go on eBay and get a used, working original airport card and call it a day. i would not get an external card. you have a laptop for portability, why have an extra thing to tote around?
idkew is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 05:04 PM   #5
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Try a refurbished one from apple.
grapes911 is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 06:01 PM   #6
the_wallcrawler
macrumors regular

to late everyone...........i stopped by my local apple store and bought a brand new airport card. i typing on my tibook with it as we speak....

maybe my nic getting fried was a blessing in disguise. i've been wanting to go wireless for awhile now, i just never pulled the trigger.

thanks for all the advice!
the_wallcrawler is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers