Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
rascal77
macrumors newbie

12" iBook G4 - battery charges but laptop won't power on

Hey all - I have a 12' iBook G4 (1.33 ghz) that took a tumble and the power connector snapped off inside of it. I took it apart, popped out the broken bit from the dc-in board, and used it until the battery drained. It worked fine until then.

I bought a new power cord, but it failed to charge the battery, and after searching through countless forums, I figured the problem was the dc-in board. I bought a replacement, and just installed it. Now, the battery indicator lights (the four green ones) are showing that it's charging up. It's on three right now. But the computer still won't power on. No fan noise, no other lights. I tried the PMU reset, but nothing. It's weird.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
rascal77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Reflow
Did you reset the pram? Sometimes that works...
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:50 PM   #3
rascal77
macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

I looked that up, but I'd need to power on the computer first, and that's just not happening. The battery is charged, judging by the indicator lights on it, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The power button isn't even lit up. I tried removing the battery and powering it on with just the power cord attached, but no dice. I am confused.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:04 PM   #4
rascal77
macrumors newbie

Do you think it might have something to do with the power switch? I had to remove the casing on the keyboard side to pop out the broken piece. The bit where the power switch connects to the motherboard is attached to that casing. Is it possible that it came loose? It didn't come off, but I'm just trying to narrow down some possibilities here.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
toolbox
macrumors 68020

you said in your previous post that it snapped something on the DC board? that is BAD. This is why your laptop is not getting power because the circut is broken. You going to need to take this to a Apple store and have them look at it. Your possibly going to be up for a new motherboard because the dc boards are a physical component i believe.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
i.shaun
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to i.shaun
Not so sure about laptops. . because of the whole battery thing, but you could attempt to Reset the SMC

edit: PMU is probably the same thing. . you said you did that so I guess that option is out. .

What about removing RAM, re-installing it, and trying another outlet? worked for my intel iMac.

17" iMac, OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, 32GB iPod Touch, Airport Extreme
i.shaun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Actually, the DC-in board is separate and fairly inexpensive. iFixit doesn't have any guides for the 1.33 MHz model, but it's probably similar to the previous models.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs