Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old May 11, 2004, 09:33 PM   #1
blue&whiteman
Banned

cars with thumping stereos

I live in a larger city somewhat near a busy street. at least 12-30 times a day my home shakes because some freak has their car stereo with who knows how many subs up so loud as they drive by. I even feel it on my body at times.

I see this as a violation on everyone around the car for about a 2-3 block radius. some of them thump against my chest so much that the driver may as well get out of the car and start punching me in the chest.

I think stereos like this should be outlawed. i'm all for people being able to enjoy music but not when its being forced down my throat like that.

share your thoughts or experiences please.

Last edited by blue&whiteman; May 11, 2004 at 09:35 PM.
blue&whiteman is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 09:55 PM   #2
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
I experience the same thing too. Luckily for me though, they are always racing down my street (which brings up a seperate issue), so the noise passes by quickly. Sometimes they will park in front of another house and leave their stero blasting, and you end up having to hear the dirty lyrics. Im sure there must be some kind of noise violation after a certain time, but it rarely gets enforeced. Also, it would be harder to track down someone in a car.

This is a bit off topic, but last week, there was a car alarm across the street the was going of for some 2+ hours at 11 at night. When I called the police, they basically said there was nothing they could do. Go figure. Some people are just very inconsiderate.
latergator116 is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Ever been inside one of Sony's 300-seater auditoriums in New York City watching one of their 3D blue/red type quickie-movies wearing (as a requirement) a sound-blocking "helmet"? I have. Basically, before the quickie movie plays, there's a comical 5-minute video introduction...and a demonstration of just how loud it gets. I happened to be about 10 at the time (about the time the DVD first meant everything to Sony), but while watching/listening to some of the extreme special effects of the introduction, when the room-surround megasubwoofers went off, I wasn't worried about going deaf, but more worried about if the intensity increased only a little, the resulting internal vibrations (chest punching, almost) could burst. (I do mean that with all seriousness: the audio dB level was at a human-level tolerance extreme...that's also why I can hear my ears ringing when the dB level in the room is <30dB, to this day. And I can still remember what those vibrations felt like...I was scared as hell at the time.)

In comparison with all the heavy rap/bass that some people pump from their vehicular subwoofers, that's hardly anything, nowhere near an extreme. I know that unless there is a big red button for the car subwoofer I don't need to worry about chest-punching vibrations. So I've developed a force of habit to see car-subwoofer-pumping as not a real big deal.

Though I do find some of the "additional" low-frequency only slightly objectionable. I feel that car subwoofers are engineered so that you get a lot of subwoofer, but so does everyone around you. Besides, plenty of subwoofer comes out of a 50W subwoofer at maximum intensity to satisfy the cravings of many anyways... I don't get it. 290W car subwoofers, 320W, ridiculous.

Last edited by King Cobra; May 11, 2004 at 10:21 PM.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 10:18 PM   #4
parrothead
macrumors 6502a

I, too get annoyed by those really loud stereos, but at least I can understand why people have them. I assume it is because they love the music and want it loud. What I really hate is the practice of putting those loud "fart can" mufflers on cars. There is no reason for this expect to be obnoxious and loud. Those should be outlawed before loud stereos.
parrothead is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5
poopyhead
macrumors 6502a

I hate them both
the people with "fart can" mufflers and the butt munches with obnoxious stereos.
there is simply no point to either
I respect a loud, clear stereo, I enjoy tight base at home
however
I feel the only point of boomy, rattling base in a car
is to irritate the crap out of everyone in a 3 block area
poopyhead is offline   0
Old May 11, 2004, 10:40 PM   #6
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Sometimes I wish someone would invent a way to be as obnoxious with silence as with a set of speakers. I'd love to be able to 'broadcast' my own anti-noise that would piss off those with obnoxious speakers as they came within the radius of my thumping silence.
Old May 12, 2004, 01:11 AM   #7
MacAztec
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to MacAztec
Haha, my buddy has a stereo like that in his car. He had invested a good deal of cash into it, and I had never heard it. He was over one day, and I asked him to show it to me. It looked very sweet. It sounded even better.

I got in the back seat, and he put down the little arm rest that is in some cars in the back seat. That gives direct access to the trunk, where his woofers are. I could feel air pumping out of the whole. I couldn't hear myself think, and it felt like i was in a huge vibrating massage chair. It was pretty sweet.

He doesnt listen to it like that ever. It sounds really clear and good on reg. volume. He only bumps it once in a while to piss people off.
MacAztec is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 01:20 AM   #8
Neserk

*grumbles* If I wanted to listen to that music I turn my radio to that station...
Neserk is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 01:22 AM   #9
Dros
macrumors 6502

Well, at least cars like those are helpful in sorting out the complete morons from the run-of-the-mill idiots that make up the rest of the world.
Dros is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 01:43 AM   #10
acidrock
macrumors 6502

In Seattle they actually have a no noise limmit. It's really strange, even when the cops are trying to pull you over they won't turn on their sirens. I can't remmeber why they did this but we barely get people playing really load music in their cars out here, not even at Evergreen, but there are parties. Now that's another issue. They've actually had bands playing at them, and that can be really load. Well if you guys hate the car noise, move to Seattle. -n
Through every hard experience, something good can happen. -Margaret Cho May 2004
I use humor to help me deal with all the stress in the world - (me)
acidrock is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 04:37 AM   #11
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cobra
290W car subwoofers, 320W, ridiculous.
Meh, those are weak anyway linky-poo

This past year, I was at school in Boston, and my dorm room window opened onto a fairly busy street, connecting Huntington Ave. with the Fenway. I heard more ambulances and fire trucks than loud stereos. Heck, I hear them more here at home. They are annoying. Not necessarily the volume itself, but most of them just don't balance the bass with enough treble, and it ends up sounding like crap, or crappier really, as most people don't seem to pick anything good to listen to anyway.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:54 AM   #12
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
unless they are playing something nice then i mind
Old May 12, 2004, 06:40 AM   #13
medea
macrumors 68030

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAztec
I couldn't hear myself think, and it felt like i was in a huge vibrating massage chair.
That really sounds like something I want in my car. Completely saft right?
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 11:11 AM   #14
G4scott
macrumors 68020

I was going to say, a 50 watt sub isn't that powerful...

My car has 2 50 watt speakers in the front doors, 2 260 watt speakers in the rear panel, and a 500 watt sub also mounted on the rear panel (it's a free air sub, so it works fine...)

Now, I only have a 400 watt amp, which gives 100 to each of the rear speakers, and 200 to the sub, so I'm not running at full capacity, and my front speakers run off the head unit. I got good deals on the sub and rear speakers, but didn't want to pay for 1000 watts of amp power... My speakers sound nice at moderate to loud sound levels with crisp highs, and pretty tight bass (I don't have the best sub setup, but it works...), but I never really turn it up loud enough so that people outside the car can hear it. If you can hear it outside the car, it's probably too loud for me... The main thing that it's good for is long distance trips, because my car makes a crap load of road noise, and it's good to be able to hear my music to keep me awake, and such...

My car is not really made for "thumping", because it rattles way too much at high volume levels anyways... And yes, I do hate it when I can feel the bass in cars 2 lanes away from me... Very annoying... I'd rather hear my bass...
Old May 12, 2004, 11:25 AM   #15
krimson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to krimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue&whiteman
I think stereos like this should be outlawed. i'm all for people being able to enjoy music but not when its being forced down my throat like that.
There's a noise ordinance here in LA, if you can be heard from like 100ft away, then you can be cited... it might be 300ft, i can't remember the specifics. Problem is that most of the time, if you called the cops, by the time they got there, the perp is gone, unless he/she's circling the block.

I do have a mildly thumping stereo, but I dont turn it up when in driving on the street... usually just one the freeways, or when were at a tailgate or something...

(2) 10" 300W JBL's powered by 400W Pioneer amp in the trunk
3-way 100W JBL's in the front door
2-way 75W Infinity's in the rear wall

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Mac Folding team!
krimson is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 11:28 AM   #16
Giaguara
macrumors 6502a

My home was noisewise, liveable only one sunday a month, when the cars in the old centre [Palermo] were not allowed to circulate at all.

Right now it's not the car stereos with the bumpy old pop that bug me, it's the 294 under the window. And I can't keep the windows closed, so it affects the 'clean' air (lots of dust), and makes watching moveis or listening to music to not be the maximum enojoyability.
Giaguara is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 11:31 AM   #17
Krizoitz
macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if they outlawed it in dorms too.
Krizoitz is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 11:46 AM   #18
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
I hate to say it, those speakers have nothing on jake brakes for noise.

Old May 12, 2004, 12:03 PM   #19
Versello
macrumors regular

I used to have a subwoofer as big as my trunk... I love good audio, so sue me but I certainly NEVER maxed out the sub's volume. It just sounds god-awful and unfortunately so many people never calibrate their subs and just turn the volume all the way up.

A few weeks ago I saw/heard two old beat up caddy's side-by-side, obviously with subs in their trunk and it was just hideous... it sounded like blubber, pure blubber. Blub blub blub blubb berfff blub coming from the trunk. What a disgrace. How can idiots be so stupid.

Last edited by Versello; May 12, 2004 at 12:16 PM.
Versello is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 12:08 PM   #20
blue&whiteman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versello
A few weeks ago I saw/heard two old beat up caddy's side-by-side, obviously with subs in their trunk and it was just hiddeous... it sounded like blubber, pure blubber. Blub blub blub blubb berfff blub coming from the trunk. What a disgrace. How can idiots be so stupid.
the worst thing about those people is that they think they are cool and that the blub blub turns on girls or whatever. its very pathetic.

seems to be a part of the bling bling cash money mentality.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:01 PM   #21
poopyhead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue&whiteman
the worst thing about those people is that they think they are cool and that the blub blub turns on girls or whatever. its very pathetic.

seems to be a part of the bling bling cash money mentality.
whats even more pathetic is that to a relitively large portion of society they are cool and, sadly, many women truly do get turned on by this.
poopyhead is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 02:09 PM   #22
dopefiend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyhead
sadly, many women truly do get turned on by this.
They love the tickling of the bass on them.

I have 2 MTX 12's and a 300 or so bazooka amp(can't even remember)

I don't really care if a person has their radio and bass up, unless its in my neighborhood. Then I say something about it.
dopefiend is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 02:31 PM   #23
rueyeet
macrumors 65816

Hmmm. I was a lot more vitriolic on the subject, until the first time I was de-snowing my car while warming it up and actually got to hear what my "normal volume" sounded like from outside the car. The drum beat was pretty clear, and if I listened instead of brushing snow, I could hear the words too. And this with the crappy little factory-installed stereo!

That said, I don't think that it could have been heard from inside the house, other than a vague suggestion of a drumbeat. And definitely not going by on the street, or on the highway. So maybe I'm not that bad.....

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0
Old May 12, 2004, 02:45 PM   #24
Doctor Q
Administrator

Here in the city, many of us are so used to noise pollution that when we go out to the country we can't believe how quiet it is. Our ears feel funny.

At least cars with thumping stereos pass by in a few seconds. If you live near an airport, work in a store with constant loud music, or your neighbors all like to mow the lawn at 7am on Sunday, you have a bigger problem.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:46 PM   #25
blue&whiteman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongoTheGeek
I hate to say it, those speakers have nothing on jake brakes for noise.

what are jake brakes?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community