Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Just wanted to make a quick guide for those of you who upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 but can't seem to be able to enable MMS and Internet Tethering. Please keep in mind that THIS IS ONLY FOR USERS ON AT&T. You might be able to use this on other carriers, but I highly doubt it.

Step 1:

You need to download a pre-released version of iTunes and the Carrier Setting.
iTunes: http://d01.megashares.com/dl/897faff/itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg
Carrier Setting: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3IVMRD46

Step 2:

You need to uninstall your current version of iTunes. Simply drag it into the trash then restart your computer.

Step 3:

Once you're booted up, install the special version of iTunes you just downloaded. You might get a warning that your library was created on a newer version of iTunes followed by iTunes quitting. That's OK, just go to:

Home Folder>Music>iTunes and move your iTunes Library file to a safe location.

Now try to relaunch iTunes and connect your iPhone. Go to the main settings of your iPhone and option + click on Update. Select the carrier file that you previously downloaded and wait for iTunes to finish. You will NOT get a confirmation message, so when it's done just disconnect and reboot your iPhone.

Step 4:

Once your iPhone has successfully rebooted go to:

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network

Input the following information in the appropriate fields:

APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@cingulargprs.com
Password: CINGULAR1
MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]

Now after that is done, you should be able to Tether and Send MMS. If not then I would suggest checking over the info above and ensuring everything is exactly the same.

Step 5: Cleaning up

Final step here. First quit iTunes and then drag it from your Applications folder into the trash. At this time, you might also want to return the iTunes Library file to its original position. You'll already have one there and you'll need to replace it with your original file.

Reboot.

Now after this simply download the newer version of iTunes on Apple.com and reinstall and you're done!

All this info was gotten and compiled from previous threads. Some users struggle with MMS and Tethering while others don't.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I have a question and I did all of this already:

The cellular data network option has shown up and I can can input values. However before I do that, if I go into messages by itself it says "mms messaging requires phone number" "press settings to go to iphone settings and enter your phone number".

Should I just do that? Or do I need to still input those cellular data network settings. which should i do

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Yeah, I noticed that if you go to the Phone Settings, you can input your phone number. My number was already there, but check if yours isn't. You might want to put it in.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
So I do need to still put the settings in the cellular data network fields then?

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I would assume you probably would. Just go input your phone number in the Phone section first.

dseig001

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
not to sure about that one, i never had the "opt out" on my account im guessing because i had mms working with swirly mms on my 2.2 iphone, so maybe that removed it.

I called in and had all my opt outs removed from my family plan, and supposedly it should work, but no dice.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Working great here.

Both receiving and sending pictures/receiving video.

YES.

ramblintoad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Noob questions: This work for Windows or just OS X?

Also, I have no need for tethering, what can I leave out from your process?

xanadu1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I can get to step 4 no problem but when I go to
Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network
There are only fields for APN, Username and Pass for both Cellular Data and Visual Voicemail.... this happen to anyone else?

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Ran through the tutorial, and tethering is working perfectly over USB. Can't get bluetooth tethering or MMS to work. I'm using a GoPhone SIM, so the settings are likely different. I do have a MMS active on my account, just need to figure out the settings.

Strange. The camera icon disappeared, and so did the on/off switch for MMS. Still in the 'Network Settings', but thats it.

My visual voicemail is also gone.

madcatz7

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Just tried it, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried to log into my wireless account but it says I'm temporarily locked out of my account for the next hour or so. :(

hcoteen2008

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
After doing this, you just need to turn the phone off and turn it back on for the changes to take place.

UPDATE:

It's not working for me either...:(

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah the carrier settings are greyed out for me.

You'll need to do the following for MMS to work:

4. Call AT&T Tier Two Technical Support at 888-892-9760 press option 1

5. When talking to representative explain that you are a registered software developer for the iphone and need to have your phone activated for MMS.

These are the things they need to do to make it work

a. Make sure you are on a standard texting plan and not the iphone texting plan
b. Enable Media Net and WAP Push
c. There are two areas in Snooper that need to be checked off to enable MMS
d. They need to do a push OTA (over the air activation)

wreckk

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Same for me on tethering

That happened to me as well.

I updated the carrier settings again, and got the option back. I then set up tethering via bluetooth first and the setting hasn't disappeared even after connected via USB.

The MMS settings did enable the ability to send MMS message, however any mms message i try to send fails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.