Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I just preordered my 3GS. This will be my first iPhone and I'd like to start gathering some accessories for when it gets here. Is it the exact same hardware (size, buttons,etc) as the 3G? As much as I'd like a little change, it would make buying accessories a lot easier if it was the same.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
I just preordered my 3GS. This will be my first iPhone and I'd like to start gathering some accessories for when it gets here. Is it the exact same hardware (size, buttons,etc) as the 3G? As much as I'd like a little change, it would make buying accessories a lot easier if it was the same.

it is but it weighs just a tad more..

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Just found this to answer my own question:

iPhone 3GS:
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

iPhone 3G
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
Weight: 4.7 ounces (133 grams)

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
haha that is true. but what about camera placement/size? you think that might be slightly different? i'm getting the feeling that part of the idea of this whole release is to keep the exact same casing to cut down on cost, but I can't be sure that they didn't make any slight modifications to the back casing for the camera.

Andruw91

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Connecticut
I was wondering this too - if a 3g invisibleshield fits the 3gs that will make things much easier for a lot of people.

haha that is true. but what about camera placement/size? you think that might be slightly different? i'm getting the feeling that part of the idea of this whole release is to keep the exact same casing to cut down on cost, but I can't be sure that they didn't make any slight modifications to the back casing for the camera.

I was wondering the same thing. I want to get a Zagg invisibleshield for my first ever iphone to keep it scratch free (Been waiting since November for an iphone to replace my Nextel), but I thought the camera lens might be a different size from the previous one. I doubt anyone knows the answer to this, but if someone does it would be appreciated.

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
I was wondering the same thing. I want to get a Zagg invisibleshield for my first ever iphone to keep it scratch free (Been waiting since November for an iphone to replace my Nextel), but I thought the camera lens might be a different size from the previous one. I doubt anyone knows the answer to this, but if someone does it would be appreciated.

The 3gs has EXACTLY the same body as the 3g, and therefor the same camera placement as well. It's a bit late now though, you should look into iPhone 4! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.