Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
CT, USA
Im about to go out and buy a maxed out macbook pro 15 inch and already know that the 256gb toshiba solid state drive that apple ships with there mac isnt the best. So my question is which of these three third-party SSD is the best.
OCZ Summit Series 250Gb SSD
Read speed 220mb/s
Write speed 200mb/s
128mb of onboard cache
Price $900

OCZ Vertex Series 250Gb SSD
Read Speeds 260mb/s
Write Speeds 160mb/s
64mb of onboard cache
Price $750

Intel x25-m 160Gb SSD
Read Speeds 250mb/s
Write Speed 70Mb/s
No onboard cache
Price $619
No matter what i plan to buy between 2 and 4 Tb of firewire 800 storage, However i need room for windows 7 in boot camp, plus i run FCP and Logic Pro, and auto cad which takes up allot of room (yes i know to install my loops and scratch disks onto the external drive)

The reviews i have read give very mixed views on the three drives above. It is known that the intel is the best, however its a little small for my needs, but if it truly performs significantly better than either of the above OCZ drives then I will go intel.

Between the OCZ drives i have not found any reviews that Pit the Summit with 128mb of cache versus the vertex with 64mb of cache.

So my question simple and sweet is: I want the drive that will perform the best (i cant stand lock ups) and has the most space. Which of the above do you guys suggest, thank you for reading.

bigbadbenny

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Collingwood
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.