Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pythonimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Well guys, the back peice came off of my 1st gen iPhone, the black cover on the bottom. (exposing the antenna I guess)

Well, it worked fine for about a month with the cover being off.

But last week, my phone started freaking out, turning on and off, and now does not work at all.

It will show the silver apple symbol sometimes as if it were going to turn on, and if by some sort of magic it DOES turn on, it will go to the "Slide to unlock" screen but I cannot actually move the slide..

In the event it is broken beyond physical repair, is there any way to sync it to the computer and retreive some of the data such as the contacts, apps, songs, and other stuff that has been purchased on the phone?

Thank you for your time guys, and I hope to hear from you guys!

-Nate

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
The only way to find out is to catch it one of those times when it does at least boot to the unlock screen and then connect the cable to see if it will synch. It's possible that the display isn't working but the majority of the functionality (including the ability to synch) will work. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

pythonimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
The only way to find out is to catch it one of those times when it does at least boot to the unlock screen and then connect the cable to see if it will synch. It's possible that the display isn't working but the majority of the functionality (including the ability to synch) will work. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

Yeah, I've not had time to sync it up yet, so I was just curious if anyone here has had the same issue.

But like you said, catch it when I can unlock the screen, but when it goes to the unlock screen, it seems as if the bottom half of the digitizer is not working, ultimately not allowing me to unlock the phone.

:(

pythonimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
If touching the screen doesn't work, it sounds like your digitizer has come unplugged or is broken. (http://www.digiexpress.us/iPhone-1G-2G_c_29.html)

And you can get an antenna cover from that site also for $20, seems like a worthwhile investment if you can fix the device.

Well I think those are the least of my problems, but thank you for the resource!

Like I said, it will turn on and off rapidly sometimes.

Sometimes it won't turn on at all.

Sometimes it will turn on, get to the unlock screen, but won't let me unlock, then it will shut off again.

I think it's done for, I just want to know if there is any hope for saving the data?

:(

Thanks for all your submissions guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.