Cell Phone Camera Used For Cheating on Test - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 12, 2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Cell Phone Camera Used For Cheating on Test

I'm sort of surprised it hasn't happened sooner....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/05/12/c....ap/index.html

This might end up getting all cellphones banned from schools and univeristies everywhere.

D
Old May 12, 2004, 02:02 PM   #2
chv400
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to chv400
They caught some people at my school doing it last year so the updated the student conduct so now if and teachers catch you with a phone it is taken up and given to your AP (Assistant Principle). You cant get it back unless your parents pay a $15 fine.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:04 PM   #3
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm sort of surprised it hasn't happened sooner....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/05/12/c....ap/index.html

This might end up getting all cellphones banned from schools and univeristies everywhere.

D
its almost getting to the point where cell phones are going to be banned everywhere. Certain businesses won't allow them inside, you can't drive with one.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:08 PM   #4
dopefiend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongoTheGeek
you can't drive with one.
Where do you live where you can't drive with them?

And just an fyi: The Samsung e715 makes a great cheating device
dopefiend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 02:11 PM   #5
reaper
macrumors 6502

The problem with banning cell phones because of their cameras is that it's just a "feel good" policy. It's not like the people who are really dead-set on cheating or taking pictures of confidential documents (or whatever else cameras can be used for) aren't going to find other ways of doing this. In the short-term policies like this might help, but in the long-run they only hurt the good people who know better than to do stupid things.

- reaper
reaper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 02:47 PM   #6
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
yeah if someone wants to cheat they will find a way

using a cell phone isnt the most covert way to cheat to begin with so this person wasnt really tyring that hard, just lazy

but i astill agree phones have to place in the class room.
Old May 12, 2004, 02:57 PM   #7
teabgs
macrumors 68030

cell phones were never allowed in my high school. This goes back to 1996 too...nor are beepers. At first it was because the people that had them were "all drug dealers"

Anyway, if one had a cell or beeper it was not allowed, even if it's off, on school grounds. You got caught, you got suspended.

if you had a car, it can be in the car, but not visible if one were to look in through a window.

kinda strict, yes, but I don't understand why any school ever allowed kids to have phones in school. I didnt have one when I was still in school, and if I would have why would I need it when I'm in class?

Also, there is no place that you cannot drive and have a phone. you just cant be driving while talking on the phone UNLESS it has a hands free headset. Which makes sense...it's like being required to wear a seatbelt. However...you can still eat a sandwich...so, I can't say I agree with it. Just that I understand WHY the law is that way in some places.
teabgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 03:29 PM   #8
krimson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to krimson
when i was still going to school (hs and college) phones weren't allowed inside. In HS, if your phone rang in class, the teacher confiscated it and your parents had to come and pick it up from the dean. In college, some of my professors would ask you to leave. and you get marked down for the day.

besides, graphing calculators were so much more helpful, especially the ti-85's what we were required to use in calculus.

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Mac Folding team!
krimson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 03:47 PM   #9
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
i had a prof in college answer someone's phone. it rang, he extended his hand, the kid, very embarassed gave it to him, the prof said "hi....no, im sorry hes in class now. (hangs up) Call your mother, Mr. (student's name)"
It was great.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:12 PM   #10
Makosuke
macrumors 603

As far as the cheating thing, it's pretty obvious that banning them isn't going to deterr any but the most inept or casual cheaters, so it won't help much. However, why anybody would let a cell phone into a test is beyond me--some idiot always forgets to turn the thing off, and so you've got one guy's ringing phone distracting the other 29 people taking the test. Just like in theaters, movie theaters, college classes, meetings, and all the other places where you're not supposed to be making noise--it's rude on top of annoying, and they have no business being there.

Studies at places like Harvard have linked somewhere around 3000 annual deaths in car crashes to people distracted because they're talking on a cell phone. And why? Because they can't wait the fifteen minutes to get to the mall to continue the conversation? Yes, some people have two-hour commutes, but they're not usually moving for most of that time, anyway.

And yes, it's legal to drive with a sandwich in your hand, or to talk to a friend who's actually in the car, but there are two significant differences: The sandwich is taking one hand off the wheel, and making you more dangerous, but it's not specifically distracting you (unless it's REALLY good)--you just happen to be chewing while driving. And, the guy in the car with you is talking to you, but at least he's in the car and as such aware of the conditions, so he can adjust his conversation to the driving conditions, as well as point out potential hazzards if you're not paying as much attention as you should be (I know I and the other drivers I know do that--it's safer to have my wife riding shotgun, not more dangerous, even when I'm talking to her).

Anyway, we're evolving into a society that can't make a distinction between the appropriate use of a cell phone and actions that're uncourteous or dangerous.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 04:28 PM   #11
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chv400
They caught some people at my school doing it last year so the updated the student conduct so now if and teachers catch you with a phone it is taken up and given to your AP (Assistant Principle). You cant get it back unless your parents pay a $15 fine.

With all the budget problems at our school, if they implemented a 15$ fine, our school would have ALOT more money. Heck, if it was a $0.25 my school would still be in the bling-bling.

I've never found a need for a cell phone. Except maby when I start to drive a car.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:44 PM   #12
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
i admit even though cells were banned in my high school everyone put them under the desk to text wehn we were bored. im sure some people used it to cheat. but i swear i would have died of boredome had it not bee for my cell phone
Old May 12, 2004, 04:54 PM   #13
Sparky's
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongoTheGeek
its almost getting to the point where cell phones are going to be banned everywhere. Certain businesses won't allow them inside, you can't drive with one.
I live in up-state New York, where supposedly its a $100 fine for a first offense. Ha Ha Ha ROFLMAO... I have never seen such flagrant disregard for the law as I've seen here. (takes deep breath... counts to 10, 3 times...) OK I would love to install a PA system in my car and BLAST a warning to the idiots I see with the cell phone glued to one ear and steering with the other hand while trying to avoid hitting me as they make a left turn in front of me with a look on their face like I just kidnapped and raped their children or something. How I hate the arrogance...

I hope the government steps in and bans electronic devices in schools in general. This is a learning institution not a d**n social club. I also still think calculators should be banned, especially in math classes!!!!

24"iMac, Adobe CS4, 1T LaCie backup drive
Sparky's is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 05:01 PM   #14
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Cell Phones are the opiate of the masses.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:21 PM   #15
wdlove
macrumors 604

Cheating just seems to have no limit. There was a segment on our local news at 11pm about the new Cell Phone Camera. It was with regards to privacy, taking pictures of people without their knowledge. One lady was a victim of upskiritng, popular at malls and stores. They interviewed two, one used it for work as a relator to upload pictures to his office. The other said she just does it for fun, but with the consent of the individual involved.

I guess I'm naive, but can't even imagine hoe something like that would would be accomplished. It seems that an alert teacher would notice something like that. can't even think of any reason to have a cellphone out while taking a test.
Old May 12, 2004, 06:03 PM   #16
pooky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by virividox
using a cell phone isnt the most covert way to cheat to begin with so this person wasnt really tyring that hard, just lazy
It may not be the most covert method, but it can be very effective. At the university where I teach, you might have 400 students in a room taking a test together, with only 6 or 7 people watching them. It would be fairly easy to slip a cell phone out on the sly. We don't confiscate as a policy, since these students are (supposedly) adults, but if we see a cell phone out for any reason, or if a cell phone rings for any reason, you automatically get a 0, thanks for playing, try again next time. I haven't seen or heard a cell phone during a test since the policy was implemented.
pooky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 06:33 PM   #17
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopefiend
Where do you live where you can't drive with them?
Many states require the use of hands free phones or headsets while driving now.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 06:48 PM   #18
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I'm amazed it took so long for this story to show up, I'm sure its happened in my school way before this happened. What is sad is how many people in my school have these kinds of phones. They are everywhere in my school. There is a ban on cell phone use in the school but no one cares. I see people txting in the middle of class all the time, many girls just put their big purses on the desk and text from behind the purse. Its sad how obvious it is.
Old May 12, 2004, 07:17 PM   #19
warcraftmaster
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to warcraftmaster Send a message via Yahoo to warcraftmaster
my iPod (text)and my powershot s400 work real well.
warcraftmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 01:19 PM   #20
agreenster
macrumors 68000

If people are going to cheat, they'll figure out a way. People did it with a Ti82 when I was in high school. People passed notes along the floor and did all sorts of wacky stuff. So what?

As far as talking on the phone goes, they should stop making automatic transmissions. (j/k, but hear me out) I drive a stick, so when Im driving, I'm DRIVING. There's not much time or free hands to eat or talk on the phone. People should pay attention more anyway. I saw a lady the other day driving along one of the busiest highways in my city, reading a freaking novel. Propped up on the damn steering wheel.

I almost layed on my horn as I drove past, but I didnt want to see anyone get killed. That kind of crap is rediculous.

But seriously, I dont care what people claim--you arent driving 100% when you're on the phone. I dont know how many times I've been behind someone, wonder what the heck they were doing until I realized they were on the phone. I dont care how able you CLAIM to be, you still arent driving 100%, and that can be the difference between life and death.
Old May 13, 2004, 01:23 PM   #21
dopefiend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreenster
As far as talking on the phone goes, they should stop making automatic transmissions. (j/k, but hear me out) I drive a stick, so when Im driving, I'm DRIVING. There's not much time or free hands to eat or talk on the phone.
I've done the one hand steering-shifting-other hand on phone when I forgot my headset.

Never again, never again.
dopefiend is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 05:23 PM   #22
anubis
macrumors 6502a

recently i had a co-worker who was fired from work and expelled from the university for being caught sending text messages to fellow classmates during a test, presumably sharing answers.
anubis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 01:04 AM   #23
coopdog
macrumors 6502a

Well it works well. Thats just what I have heard.
Old May 15, 2004, 06:50 AM   #24
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:

If people are going to cheat, they'll figure out a way. People did it with a Ti82 when I was in high school. People passed notes along the floor and did all sorts of wacky stuff. So what?
The issue is that technology is making easier. And even more so after Enron, WorldCom, and others; there needs to be standards taught that "so what?" does not cut it.

Quote:
As far as talking on the phone goes, they should stop making automatic transmissions. (j/k, but hear me out) I drive a stick, so when Im driving, I'm DRIVING. There's not much time or free hands to eat or talk on the phone. People should pay attention more anyway. I saw a lady the other day driving along one of the busiest highways in my city, reading a freaking novel. Propped up on the damn steering wheel.

I almost layed on my horn as I drove past, but I didnt want to see anyone get killed. That kind of crap is rediculous.

But seriously, I dont care what people claim--you arent driving 100% when you're on the phone. I dont know how many times I've been behind someone, wonder what the heck they were doing until I realized they were on the phone. I dont care how able you CLAIM to be, you still arent driving 100%, and that can be the difference between life and death.
Talking on the phone is not an issue if one is using a headset and voice dialing IMO. Not much different than having a conversation with someone in the car.

Your comment about eating and drinking reminded me of a story about a VW engineer that was asked about the lack of decent cup holders in their cars. He said why are you even having a beverage when on the highway.

With regards to the woman reading. There have even been worse things being done while driving. We need tougher laws, more police on the roadways to enforce those laws, and judges that don't go wishy-washy.

Example is with my other half. He was rear-ended by a driver that blew through a Fast-Toll lane doing 40+mph (limit is 25mph). She was charged with Reckless Driving. Went to court and the judge asked her for her explanation. She stated she had a bad day, and she "guessed' that she wasn't paying attention. The judge then dismissed saying that she was wrongly charged, it should have been for Failing to Pay Attention, and dismissed the charges.
Chip NoVaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 03:40 PM   #25
Eukaryote
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Eukaryote
I don't have a link to it, but I read a while ago that there were people who were going into locker rooms and taking pictures with their phones of people in various states of undress... Now I've seen a few signs in locker rooms stating that you're not allowed to use your cell phone at all (whether with a camera or not).

I think a lot of places are going to ban cell phones now with the proliferation of the camera phones... It's hard these days to find a cell phone without a camera, so those who are using them irresponsibly are hurting those of us who don't even have a damn camera in their phones...
Eukaryote is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events