Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
My 3 week old macbook makes a high pitched noise when it is plugged in, but it stops when I am scrolling. It's really annoying. What is it?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Sounds like power-supply whine, and the change in load from scrolling is enough to stop it.

Swing by a genius bar and reproduce it for'em for the power supply to be replaced.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
More details: The noise also stops if I'm loading a webpage, scrolling, or if I unplug it. Is there any way I can make it stop, I don't want to have to go all the way to the apple store. It's about 45 minutes away and I don't have a car available at the moment.

More details: The noise also stops if I'm loading a webpage, scrolling, or if I unplug it. Is there any way I can make it stop, I don't want to have to go all the way to the apple store. It's about 45 minutes away and I don't have a car available at the moment.

Calm down, its just the sound from the power supply, My MacBook does the same exact thing. There is nothing the Apple Store can do about it.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Wow, nevermind I'm just stupid :)
I'm using my laptop on the couch and the charger is plugged in over the top of the couch because the outlet is directly behind me. After experimenting with what makes the sound stop for about 10 minutes, I realized that the sound is coming from the white charger box thing, which is directly above my head. I feel so dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.