Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I just preordered 2 iPhone 3Gs's (my first venture into smart phone land). I have historically carried a RAZR in a belt holster either on the belt or in my front pocket (occasionally with keys, money, etc).

I am seeking out experiences/opinions on protecting my phones. Specifically:
1) If the phone go naked in pocket, how scratchable are they?
2) Screen protector or no?
3) Are there cases you LOVE or absolutely HATE (and why)?

There is a plethora of cases out there. Please help me narrow down so I can then go check out the final candidates, hands-on.

Thank you so very much!

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
I just preordered 2 iPhone 3Gs's (my first venture into smart phone land). I have historically carried a RAZR in a belt holster either on the belt or in my front pocket (occasionally with keys, money, etc).

I am seeking out experiences/opinions on protecting my phones. Specifically:
1) If the phone go naked in pocket, how scratchable are they? Back is scratchable but screen is very resistant to general scratches
2) Screen protector or no? I would take one just in case the protector is scratched but not the actual screen. Or get the anti-glare for a smoother feeling
3) Are there cases you LOVE or absolutely HATE (and why)? I prefer slim cases that only protects the back since the screen is pretty scratch resistant. My screen has not a single scratch in 2 years with my old 2G. I prefer the power support air jacket or the incase slider

There is a plethora of cases out there. Please help me narrow down so I can then go check out the final candidates, hands-on.

Thank you so very much!

There you go. Answers in BOLD

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Best screen protector is the Power Support Anti-Glare Film. It helps keep fingerprints to a minimum and protects the screen. Buy NOW and apply the protector the very second you pull off the factory film to ensure that it won't have bubbles.

P.s. Power Support also makes a crystal film if you think you will prefer that. However it does not help to hide any finger prints. Finger prints are the main reason I even use a screen protector.

Oh and as for cases, I don't use one. My hands are too small and I can't even reach the W on the keyboard as it is... so I pretty much have no choice but to not use a case.

Section10

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
Yes screen protectors are a must. As for backs, if you want it naked I put on a bookcover material thats very little adhesive and protects from most scratches and it takes up no room at all, considering its dirt cheap and very thin its worth it.

Personally I dislike the very grippy iphone cases. This is the type of case I had when I went to pull my phone outta my pocket and it gets stuck in your pants pockets very easily that I pulled harder and it flew out dropped on the floor and cracked the screen, $170 later i'm looking for a better case.
Theres basically no case made to stop the screen from cracking unfortunately. Every case is designed to be thin and sleek and sexy. Not exactly the goal for some people but whatever.
I just ordered the DRO concepts carbon fiber case, that is not only the strongest case but it does have atleast a little neoprene for a good fit and little cushion.
Theres also the otterbox I considered but thats a little misleading.
Drop proof= you're less likely to drop the case, it doesnt mean the phone will survive a drop.
But its still a good case.
I also like the CaseMate carbon fiber leather series, leather is a very good option since it has a good fit and better for shock absorption than hard plastics. Ion also has a good carbon/leather mixed case. All well made.
Theres different styles to consider as well. The plastic clip ons, (no drop protection, just scratch proof) Belt holsters, but these expose the screen all day long unless it has a front flap. And theres also leather pouches which are nice, but you do have to take the phones out of these when you want to send a quick text.
So for me the best allaround cases are the first few I mentioned. Its very accessible, less snag on the pockets, and can be grippy enough not to drop.
But my new rule, NEVER drop the phone. Be aware at all times. I cant describe the feeling of cracking the screen, so just avoid learning it.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Thanks for the quick replies.

As for the oily face - I just hit my 40's and, well, let's just say I am drying out.
Do the cases in any way interfere with reception?
While I don't plan on dropping the thing...well accidents happen. Actually I've had more trouble with the belt holster disengaging and my RAZR going to ground. The in-pocket option might be best (ergo naked phone or slim case). Is the iPhone butt-pocket safe?? :eek:

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I know the DRO Carbon Fiber one does, nice case but it does attenuate the signal and you loose a bar or two.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I do not use anything on my iphone, I have the white one and it's in very good condition, hubby uses a incase belt holster he loves it.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
Invisible Shield by Zagg...professionally installed, is the best in my opinion, though for my screen I use the Power Support Crystal film, which maintains the screen resolution. The anti-glare films ruin the resolution in my opinion and I personally dont like them. The incase slider cases were what I used to use and love, until I realized how much they scratch up your phone...

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Invisible Shield by Zagg

+1

Got one on my iPod Touch and am buying one tomorrow for my iPhone when it comes next Friday. The corners suck (at least mine do), but this thing is indestructable. Screen is a little stickier with it, but I like it better. Gives the phone a little grip without having a grippy case.

Plus it's got a lifetime warranty, so when the corners peel too much, call them up and get a replacement for free.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I loved the Incase Slider for the 2G iPhone, and plan to get one for my 3G S, which is arriving on the 19th. However, a screen protector isn't necessary for the 3G S, since the screen is covered in a new finish that prevents fingerprints, water, and oil marks. But, you could get one for protection against shattering, and I would recommend the Power Support Anti-Glare. Definitely get the Incase Slider though! It's really great :)

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Please, post more carbon fiber cases, I've been looking for a good one that doesn't look like a $10 ebay one..

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I saw this really nice case I would love to get. I had a 3G Incase Slider on my 3G, but I love this case though.

Jon619

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
i've got an Power Support Crystal Airjacket. Its a super thin and clear iphone case that protects the back from scratches, and it comes with the Power Support screen protectors.

When i think i might need extra juice during the day, i throw on my mophie juice pack air. it costs $80, but it doubles the battery on my 3g and doesn't add much extra thickness.

TheNewsPaperBoy

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Florida
Im using an ifrogz case and i love it. It is matte so it doesnt slip or get oily also on the inside of the case there are two big pieces of felt to keep the inside of the case from scratching the back. Two pieces as well so its easy to put on. Also have a screen protector.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Are the 3G and 3G S dimensions exactly the same? As in, can I get an incase slider case now and it'll work when I get my 3G S? I only have a first gen iPhone now, but love the incase slider case my friend has.

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
I have the Invisible Shield on the front of my iPhone and Switcheasy's CapsuleRebel.

The Invisible Shield is a pain to install, but once it's on there it looks good.

And, IMO, Switcheasy makes the best iPhone cases. Both the CapsuleRebel and CapsuleNeo are good cases choices.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
I like my OSIR Design carbon fiber case, it is much sleeker than the Dro concepts even though the face isnt protected.

http://www.osirusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OSIR-OSHLD&Category_Code=OAOM

That is nice, I'm a sucker for anything carbon fiber, as the phone isn't enclosed as much as the DRO how does it do on reception?

Are the 3G and 3G S dimensions exactly the same? As in, can I get an incase slider case now and it'll work when I get my 3G S? I only have a first gen iPhone now, but love the incase slider case my friend has.

Yes identical

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.