Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Hey,

I've had the 3.0 Beta OS running on my iPod Touch for a few months now. It works great and I'm happy with the new features, but I'm having a problem with one of them, namely the Bluetooth.

I have a bluetooth stereo headset (Motorola S9HD) that I bought so I could listen to music wirelessly and make the occasional skype call from the iPod, but my touch doesn't see the headset portion of it. Listening to music over it is fine.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work, but try as I might it just doesn't detect it. Is this a software issue or what? The microphone just isn't detected.

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
I updated to the latest GM release and it's still not resolved. Anybody available to help?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Same here. They probably are going to use bluetooth only for peer to peer gaming. If they plan to let us use bluetooth headsets, maybe they'll unlock it in the near future because right now, it still doesn't work on the GM version.

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Same here. They probably are going to use bluetooth only for peer to peer gaming. If they plan to let us use bluetooth headsets, maybe they'll unlock it in the near future because right now, it still doesn't work on the GM version.

Don't get me wrong, my Stereo Bluetooth headset works beautifully for music. No problems, no static or clarity issues (as long as I'm inside). I'm just having problems with the microphone.

se7en-pt

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
What I think is the Bluetooth is only for audio output... probably they blocked the audio input because what I see is they always try to make the iPod Touch dont look so close to iPhone, because they know if some people use headset on iPod Touch and Skype or something for VOIP, probably they will sell less iPhones... so thats why, probably, the stereo bluetooth works fine but mic not... ;) ...

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Don't get me wrong, my Stereo Bluetooth headset works beautifully for music. No problems, no static or clarity issues (as long as I'm inside). I'm just having problems with the microphone.

Oh sorry, I completely misread your post. Apple probably doesn't want the iPod touch be too much like the iPhone thought like the poster above me said. However, I really wish they would make some kind of wireless sync.

emerson01

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
probably AT&T

Oh sorry, I completely misread your post. Apple probably doesn't want the iPod touch be too much like the iPhone thought like the poster above me said. However, I really wish they would make some kind of wireless sync.

I think it is more likely because of contractual agreements with AT&T, the exclusive service provider for iphones. Use of a bluetooth earphone/mic + skype would essentially create an iphone for a MUCH cheaper monthly cost (that's what we're all trying to do with this bluetooth headphone stuff, right?) . In fact, with an ipod touch + bluetooth headset + portable hotspot you can be in business with unlimited calls and data service for about $60 per month.

Too good to be true, they won't let it happen. It has nothing to do with Apple not wanting the ipod touch to be too much like the iphone as they cost almost as much.

dtanner

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
Not the best, but it works

I had the same problem. I picked up the apple earbuds with mic and made a bunch of Skype calls yesterday. Worked great too. It is not the best of solutions, but until we can find a BT device that syncs, it will do the job.

jblack44

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
IPod Touch Bluetooth support

Why did I ever expect the company that built its cadre of groupies (as opposed to users) by not playing such games to really be any different from the rest of the high-tech rip-off crowd?:mad:

Apple and Obama both prove to me that the Gen-X crowd is nothing but a collection of 'Jaywalking All Stars' that believe anything they are told as long as it's politically correct.

Amazon is going to get this piece of sucker-bait back tomorrow!:mad::mad:

Randally

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
A lot of people are having the same issue. I myself cannot get Bluetooth Headsets to work. Its probably a bug in the 3.0 update. Hopefully apple can fix this soon. If you find a solution, let me know.:cool:

IPadGanster

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Oakland Hills, CA
How about BlueAnt Q2

Will that one work? Read somewhere while googling for a suitable B tooth headset to use for Skype on my iPad but it doesnt seem definitive. Has anyone tried it? I need to mic to work not just to listen. Apple is so f'ed up doing this to people. If I have to plunk down 80 bucks for a headset it BETTER work.

theslug

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
I use bluetooth headsets (HFP, NOT A2DP) on my ipod touch 4g for voip regularly. It started working when I installed, then uninstalled the demo version of iBluever on 4.2.1. I think it inadvertently overrode the restriction that apple placed on hfp profiles. To confirm, my plantronics 520, which does not support a2dp at all, works with groundwire (sip software) and the mono bluetooth sbsettings plugin which routes all audio to the earpiece and lets me use the headset/mic with other voip apps like skype. This headset did NOT work before jailbreaking (with greenpois0n)/installing iBluever for tethering. I should note that greenpois0n may have done this as well, as I did not test hfp before installing ibluever. In fact, I discovered this completely by accident, I can't find this documented anywhere.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
As stated here, the final answer is that Apple has no problem with you using bluetooth headsets as audio out devices, to listen to your music. However, no, you can not (natively) accept audio in (without JailBreaking) because, others are correct, it would be too close to the functionality of the iPhone.

* Also, this is the iPod section for the Classic / Nano / Shuffle. You'd probably have better luck in the iPod Touch section, here. *
(Just request that a Mod moves this existing thread.)

hadouchi

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
theslug i trief to downgrade to 4.2.1 and jailbreak with GP , then install and remove ibluever but nothing works, more details please?
i need it for my headset soo bad
thx anyway

WoozyFieldmouse

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
So when it says on a apple's website that the ipod touch 4g supports the hfp & a2dp profiles they, just mean that you can hear through them but not speak?

HISKID

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Walk around

to do this without bluetooth, simply use the earphones with the mic on 'em. apple sells them and they are pretty good quality, plus you get music and stuff. it has a little control box that has 3 buttens, 2 buttens for turning up and down the volume, and 1 for play/pause. if you hold down the play pause butten it brings up voice control.

This is what i use for hands free facetime with mah friends.

HOPE THIS HELPS/:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.