More WWDC Tidbits: iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen, "Find My iPhone" Live - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

More WWDC Tidbits: iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen, "Find My iPhone" Live

A couple of other minor items we've found worthy of mentioning have popped up in the excitement of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

- iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen Coating: A number of readers have pointed out that Apple's tech specs page for the new iPhone 3G S mentions that the device's screen includes a "fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating". Fingerprint smudges on the iPhone's screen have been a minor but frequent complaint from users.

Apple's iPhone cleaning instructions also differentiate between the iPhone 3G S and earlier models. While Apple recommends that original iPhone and iPhone 3G screens be cleaned with a "soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth", the iPhone 3G S's oleophobic coating allows users to clean their screen with a dry cloth, simplifying the cleaning process and reducing potential moisture damage.

- "Find My iPhone" Live: One of the iPhone OS 3.0 features previewed during Monday's keynote was "Find My iPhone", which allows MobileMe customers to track the location of their lost iPhone, send alerts to the device in order to assist with recovery, and to perform remote wipes for data security. Several readers have reported that the feature is already live for those with iPhone OS 3.0 installed, and Engadget offers a video demo illustrating the feature. In addition to a text alert, the lost device emits a pinging sound upon receipt of a message sent via the MobileMe interface, even if the iPhone is set to silent mode.

Article Link: More WWDC Tidbits: iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen, "Find My iPhone" Live
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:38 AM   #2
kas23
macrumors 603

Fingerprint-resistant? There are people out there that don't use a screen-protector?
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:41 AM   #3
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Fingerprint-resistant? There are people out there that don't use a screen-protector?
Plenty of us carry our phones naked.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
appledude222
macrumors newbie

I can't wait for that "find my iphone" feature.
appledude222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:45 AM   #5
zizo79
macrumors 6502a

I got ZAGG on mine
zizo79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Heh find my iphone works pretty good. I found myself with it!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:48 AM   #7
iMouse
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iMouse
Does this coating extend over the whole phone?

I carry my Gen 1 naked and keep it holstered with the back open for viewing.

Been showing off its sexiness since June 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0904210781131959.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	175044  
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:48 AM   #8
talkingfuture
macrumors 65816

The oleophobic coating is a great idea. I wish my iPod touch had it.
talkingfuture is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:49 AM   #9
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

If the battery is dead, you are out of luck.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Find My iPhone works great inside you house!! I lost mine yesterday so I went to my me website and sent a message to it and lo and behold it was beaming a cool pinging sound right from inside my couch!!
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Herrow
macrumors regular

Does this coating reduce the durability of the standard glass?

I wipe down my iPhone with this cleaning cloth everyday.
Herrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:59 AM   #12
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
the device's screen includes a "fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating". Fingerprint smudges on the iPhone's screen have been a minor but frequent complaint from users.
The new iPhone is oleophobic? Why is the iPhone 3G S afraid of margarine?

But seriously, that's great news that they've worked on this. I'm surprised they didn't spend more time emphasizing this aspect (maybe because they're still going to sell the margarine-loving, original iPhone 3G??). I have my iPhone with a screen protector and case, but I know not everyone does.

PS Before I get replies pointing this out, I know oleo refers to oil, hence the smiley.
autrefois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:59 AM   #13
ipoppy
macrumors 6502

Hmm... is iPhone need to be switch on in order to see it or to use remote wipe feature? I heard that some mobile phones can be tracked in switched off mode as long as battery remain attached to phone.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:02 AM   #14
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Find My iPhone works great inside you house!! I lost mine yesterday so I went to my me website and sent a message to it and lo and behold it was beaming a cool pinging sound right from inside my couch!!
Great to hear that it works well. The Find my iPhone feature may turn out to be one of the most useful ones for people (for those who have MobileMe, anyway. I knew MobileMe would come in handy sometime!).
autrefois is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:03 AM   #15
iGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Works perfectly for me, too.

Nice feature for MobileMe members.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:06 AM   #16
Howardchief
macrumors regular

Can someone tell me if this is the same resolution as previous models? I think it is, but I don't know where to check.
Howardchief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:11 AM   #17
puliaficoc20

So yeah the Find My iPhone is probably one of the best features. I sometimes lose my phone in the couch, car, and what not and instead of spending 30 minutes looking for it. It will take like 2 minutes to do.

I need to get my mom to get this though. She lost her phone at the gym. She thought someone stole it, only a week after getting her new iphone. so she had them put a hold on the account so pretty much whoever got it cant get any phone calls or make them. She should have waited so she could of tried contacting the person. Low and behold two days later they find the phone behind the garbage can at the gym. If she had that it would have taken a couple minutes to find the phone.

Best release this year at the WWDC, suprised ATT was ready for this
puliaficoc20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:11 AM   #18
hefeglass
macrumors 6502a

im not even going to check and i can tell you YES
hefeglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:13 AM   #19
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I've had my orginal iPhone 2G for almost 2 years. No screen protector and no case. It still looks almost perfect.

I still don't know why everyone uses a case and/or screen protectors. This phone has held up better than anyphone I have previously had
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:14 AM   #20
MacVixen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGary View Post
Works perfectly for me, too.

Nice feature for MobileMe members.
Silly questions, but how are y'all getting this feature to work already? I don't have the option on my phone to enable it and I didn't see it in MobileMe when I logged in last night... Is this part of the latest software update??
MacVixen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:16 AM   #21
gnortenjones
macrumors regular

I'm seriously considering getting Mobileme just for the find my phone/remote wipe feature. I have tons of person data on my phone, and have become a bit paranoid about it being stolen/lost.

If you don't have mobile me, and your phone is stolen, can AT&T/Apple remote wipe it?
gnortenjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:16 AM   #22
Tubink
macrumors regular

This coating is making me wonder if the 3G screen protector will work...
Tubink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:22 AM   #23
gnortenjones
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
I've had my orginal iPhone 2G for almost 2 years. No screen protector and no case. It still looks almost perfect.

I still don't know why everyone uses a case and/or screen protectors. This phone has held up better than anyphone I have previously had
I've had a case on mine since buying it 6 months ago. Yesterday I took the case off because of dust collection, and realized how much bulk it was adding, and how comfortable the phone is without it, and began wondering why I was using the case. It's a phone, not a faberge egg.

So I've decided to go naked.
gnortenjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:25 AM   #24
nkawtg72
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVixen View Post
Silly questions, but how are y'all getting this feature to work already? I don't have the option on my phone to enable it and I didn't see it in MobileMe when I logged in last night... Is this part of the latest software update??
technically they would have it because they had access to the developers release of iPhone 3.0

Find My iPhone is appearing in the Account section of Me.com already.

I've not seen or heard mention of this previously, but Find My iPhone will also support iPod Touch. This is mentioned on the Find My iPhone page at Me.com
nkawtg72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:27 AM   #25
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
If the battery is dead, you are out of luck.
definitely... been a bunch of times i wished i could swap the battery to a full one.

As for the FIND MY IPHONE and REMOTE ERASE FUNCTION.... got a question

1- if you wipe your data remotely, can you still find the iphone and track it? i would hate to have to choose between the two in order to protect your data or find a missing or stolen iphone.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion