Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of other minor items we've found worthy of mentioning have popped up in the excitement of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference.

- iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen Coating: A number of readers have pointed out that Apple's tech specs page for the new iPhone 3G S mentions that the device's screen includes a "fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating". Fingerprint smudges on the iPhone's screen have been a minor but frequent complaint from users.

103225-oleophobic_coating.png

Apple's iPhone cleaning instructions also differentiate between the iPhone 3G S and earlier models. While Apple recommends that original iPhone and iPhone 3G screens be cleaned with a "soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth", the iPhone 3G S's oleophobic coating allows users to clean their screen with a dry cloth, simplifying the cleaning process and reducing potential moisture damage.

- "Find My iPhone" Live: One of the iPhone OS 3.0 features previewed during Monday's keynote was "Find My iPhone", which allows MobileMe customers to track the location of their lost iPhone, send alerts to the device in order to assist with recovery, and to perform remote wipes for data security. Several readers have reported that the feature is already live for those with iPhone OS 3.0 installed, and Engadget offers a video demo illustrating the feature. In addition to a text alert, the lost device emits a pinging sound upon receipt of a message sent via the MobileMe interface, even if the iPhone is set to silent mode.

Article Link: More WWDC Tidbits: iPhone 3G S Oleophobic Screen, "Find My iPhone" Live

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Fingerprint-resistant? There are people out there that don't use a screen-protector?

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Does this coating extend over the whole phone?

I carry my Gen 1 naked and keep it holstered with the back open for viewing.

Been showing off its sexiness since June 2007. ;)

Attachments

• 0904210781131959.jpg
    0904210781131959.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 136

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Find My iPhone works great inside you house!! I lost mine yesterday so I went to my me website and sent a message to it and lo and behold it was beaming a cool pinging sound right from inside my couch!!:D

autrefois

macrumors 65816
the device's screen includes a "fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating". Fingerprint smudges on the iPhone's screen have been a minor but frequent complaint from users.

The new iPhone is oleophobic? Why is the iPhone 3G S afraid of margarine? :D

But seriously, that's great news that they've worked on this. I'm surprised they didn't spend more time emphasizing this aspect (maybe because they're still going to sell the margarine-loving, original iPhone 3G??). I have my iPhone with a screen protector and case, but I know not everyone does.

PS Before I get replies pointing this out, I know oleo refers to oil, hence the smiley. ;)

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Hmm... is iPhone need to be switch on in order to see it or to use remote wipe feature? I heard that some mobile phones can be tracked in switched off mode as long as battery remain attached to phone.
:confused:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Find My iPhone works great inside you house!! I lost mine yesterday so I went to my me website and sent a message to it and lo and behold it was beaming a cool pinging sound right from inside my couch!!:D

Great to hear that it works well. :cool: The Find my iPhone feature may turn out to be one of the most useful ones for people (for those who have MobileMe, anyway. I knew MobileMe would come in handy sometime!).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House

Works perfectly for me, too.

Nice feature for MobileMe members. :)

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Can someone tell me if this is the same resolution as previous models? I think it is, but I don't know where to check.

puliaficoc20

Oct 15, 2008
So yeah the Find My iPhone is probably one of the best features. I sometimes lose my phone in the couch, car, and what not and instead of spending 30 minutes looking for it. It will take like 2 minutes to do.

I need to get my mom to get this though. She lost her phone at the gym. She thought someone stole it, only a week after getting her new iphone. so she had them put a hold on the account so pretty much whoever got it cant get any phone calls or make them. She should have waited so she could of tried contacting the person. Low and behold two days later they find the phone behind the garbage can at the gym. If she had that it would have taken a couple minutes to find the phone.

Best release this year at the WWDC, suprised ATT was ready for this :rolleyes:

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Fingerprint-resistant? There are people out there that don't use a screen-protector?

I've had my orginal iPhone 2G for almost 2 years. No screen protector and no case. It still looks almost perfect.

I still don't know why everyone uses a case and/or screen protectors. This phone has held up better than anyphone I have previously had

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Works perfectly for me, too.

Nice feature for MobileMe members. :)

Silly questions, but how are y'all getting this feature to work already? I don't have the option on my phone to enable it and I didn't see it in MobileMe when I logged in last night... Is this part of the latest software update?? :confused:

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I'm seriously considering getting Mobileme just for the find my phone/remote wipe feature. I have tons of person data on my phone, and have become a bit paranoid about it being stolen/lost.

If you don't have mobile me, and your phone is stolen, can AT&T/Apple remote wipe it?

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I've had my orginal iPhone 2G for almost 2 years. No screen protector and no case. It still looks almost perfect.

I still don't know why everyone uses a case and/or screen protectors. This phone has held up better than anyphone I have previously had

I've had a case on mine since buying it 6 months ago. Yesterday I took the case off because of dust collection, and realized how much bulk it was adding, and how comfortable the phone is without it, and began wondering why I was using the case. It's a phone, not a faberge egg.

So I've decided to go naked.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
Silly questions, but how are y'all getting this feature to work already? I don't have the option on my phone to enable it and I didn't see it in MobileMe when I logged in last night... Is this part of the latest software update?? :confused:

technically they would have it because they had access to the developers release of iPhone 3.0

Find My iPhone is appearing in the Account section of Me.com already.

I've not seen or heard mention of this previously, but Find My iPhone will also support iPod Touch. This is mentioned on the Find My iPhone page at Me.com

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
If the battery is dead, you are out of luck.

definitely... been a bunch of times i wished i could swap the battery to a full one.

As for the FIND MY IPHONE and REMOTE ERASE FUNCTION.... got a question

1- if you wipe your data remotely, can you still find the iphone and track it? i would hate to have to choose between the two in order to protect your data or find a missing or stolen iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.