Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I have a Intel Xeon Mac Pro and I've been able to put XP and Vista on it without issue, but am now trying to put Win 7 on it and every time after doing the initial installing files and then reboot, it comes to a blue screen and reboots very quickly.

Has anyone run into this and if so have you found a work around?

For more info, I created a Windows partition in Leopard using the Boot Camp utility and divided my drive equally. Then I insert the Win 7 disc and click on the start install and it reboots. I select the Boot Camp partition and format it. It copies files and does the install process and eventually gets to a point where it reboots and goes to load the Win 7 OS and this is when it blue screens.

I have done all the firmware updates on my Mac Pro, I even tried it on another Mac Pro with the same results.

I'm at a loss.

Update:

I've redownloaded the iso direct from MS and burned it using different brand disc and using a different burning app. I tried the 64bit version also and whenever I use that version it comes up asking me what CD drive, 1 or 2, I can't enter in a 1 or a 2 or do anything at all but turn the machine off. I even tried it on another Mac Pro with the same result.

I tried removing the OS X drive and having only 1 hard drive in the system that's just for installing Win 7 to, all to no avail. Every time with the 32bit version I get a blue screen and every time with the 64bit version I get the "which cd drive" screen and cannot do anything but power off the machine.

I was able to do an upgrade from Vista after installing Vista SP1 but after it completed and tried to load the Win 7 OS for the first time it again blue screened.

I'm at a total loss.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
not sure what is wrong, you are using the RC I assume? Mine just worked, no issues... you formatted with windows right, not disk utility?

Yeah.

Formatted with the Windows Utility.

Did you install 64 or 32bit?

I'm trying the 32bit.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I don't know about the bluescreens, but I do know that I was having some issues with Windows 7 and GPT partitions on the same disk (ie, a disk formatted by "Bootcamp"). These issues cleared up once I threw in a dedicated drive for Windows 7.

IDK, but just as a rule of thumb, I **never** install Windows to any disk other then a dedicated drive. I know this doesn't work for laptops where you've only got one HDD, but on a Mac Pro, I usually remove all my OS X Boot drives and leave only the Windows HDD installed, install Windows, *then* re-insert my OS X boot drives. I don't trust the Windows installer to muck around with partitions when my OS X boot drives are in the same system, and I barely trust Windows not to go and spam crap to all my other OS X formatted disks, thus destroying them.

-SC

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Update:

I've redownloaded the iso direct from MS and burned it using different brand disc and using a different burning app. I tried the 64bit version also and whenever I use that version it comes up asking me what CD drive, 1 or 2, I can't enter in a 1 or a 2 or do anything at all but turn the machine off. I even tried it on another Mac Pro with the same result.

I tried removing the OS X drive and having only 1 hard drive in the system that's just for installing Win 7 to, all to no avail. Every time with the 32bit version I get a blue screen and every time with the 64bit version I get the "which cd drive" screen and cannot do anything but power off the machine.

I was able to do an upgrade from Vista after installing Vista SP1 but after it completed and tried to load the Win 7 OS for the first time it again blue screened.

I'm at a total loss.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
It is an issue with iso standards. I just googled the cd 1 or 2 message and got several answers that made it work for me. Can't give you any links though since I do not remember the message and you did not write it.

EDIT:

Here it is...

Solution (need a working windows installation or a windows-pc):

0 - create 3 folders c:\windows64iso c:\windows64exe c:\windows64dvd
1 - download this (http://sergiomcfly.googlepages.com/oscdimg.exe) .exe file and put into c:\windows64exe
2 - put .iso you downloaded from ms (or an .iso you created from your retail windows disc) into c:\windows64iso and unzip it
3 - move .iso file out of c:\windows64iso and trash / delete it (won't need it anymore)
4 - open a dos prompt in c:\windows64exe and type:

oscdimg -n -m -bc:\windows64iso\boot\etfsboot.com c:\windows64iso c:\windows64dvd\windows64dvd.iso

The windows64dvd.iso is the file you gonna burn onto a new DVD

But yeah, search more next time.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
It is an issue with iso standards. I just googled the cd 1 or 2 message and got several answers that made it work for me. Can't give you any links though since I do not remember the message and you did not write it.

EDIT:

Here it is...

Solution (need a working windows installation or a windows-pc):

0 - create 3 folders c:\windows64iso c:\windows64exe c:\windows64dvd
1 - download this (http://sergiomcfly.googlepages.com/oscdimg.exe) .exe file and put into c:\windows64exe
2 - put .iso you downloaded from ms (or an .iso you created from your retail windows disc) into c:\windows64iso and unzip it
3 - move .iso file out of c:\windows64iso and trash / delete it (won't need it anymore)
4 - open a dos prompt in c:\windows64exe and type:

oscdimg -n -m -bc:\windows64iso\boot\etfsboot.com c:\windows64iso c:\windows64dvd\windows64dvd.iso

The windows64dvd.iso is the file you gonna burn onto a new DVD

But yeah, search more next time.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That did indeed work for the 64bit version. I'm going to try the 32bit version also at some point and see if it also does the trick.

Thank you very much for your help!

iBookRevA

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Rolla, Mo.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That did indeed work for the 64bit version. I'm going to try the 32bit version also at some point and see if it also does the trick.

Thank you very much for your help!

Did it work for the 32bit version??? I've had the exact same problem, just about to t give up on Windows 7.
I have the Mac Pro quad early 5100 series 3.0 GHz, 2g ram, 2 (1 Tb) HD's, 2 (1 500Gb HD's) of which 1 dedicated 500GB for Windows XP (never used Vista... blahhh).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.