Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Background: I am a doctor. I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my 2 bedroom rental apartment smells of rich mahogany. I am a pretty big deal.............well..........not really.

I am a resident in radiology and I need help buying a new macbook. I currently have a G4 15" powerbook that is ready to be replaced. Can the single 9400M graphics card in the 13" or 15" handle the large image files (MRI and CTs) that I will be dealing with? These files are big, usually in excess of 1gig each. Sometimes up to 8 gigs each (they contain 1000s of hi-res images in each file. Really big.

Would upgrading to the dual graphics card make a difference? What about once snow leopard comes into play?

This computer won't be my main base, but I will need the ability to work with these images on my laptop and also to incorporate them into keynote/ppt presentations.

Thanks for any help.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't think the graphics card will be super important to your work (although personally I'd go with the best computer you can afford) but you will need hella RAM working with those images.

jdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
thanks for the replies. Sample size: 2

in order for this to be scientifically significant, any other people have anything else to say?

So far: RAM is the MAN!

Keep the opinions coming.

jdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Seriously people, this is an extremely important study. Don't mess with science.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The more RAM you have, the better. And don't buy it from Apple, even though their prices aren't nearly as high (compared to third-party vendors) as they used to be.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i would use nothing less than a SSD + 8gb ram

SSD will definitely offer a advantage for reading these larger files.

if you can afford, 2 250gb summit's or 2 intel 160gb ssd's

these will offer the most speed.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
thanks for the replies. Sample size: 2

in order for this to be scientifically significant, any other people have anything else to say?

So far: RAM is the MAN!

Keep the opinions coming.

The patient needs a massive infusion of RAM ...... STAT !!!!!!!!

You'll need as much RAM as possible, especially if you think you may need to open multiple image files.

alhajis

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
RAM Rules!

Get the 17 MBP with 8GB ram and 500gb HDD and also get an external 2.5 HDD to store those large files.

jdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
i would use nothing less than a SSD + 8gb ram

SSD will definitely offer a advantage for reading these larger files.

if you can afford, 2 250gb summit's or 2 intel 160gb ssd's

these will offer the most speed.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

While I like your style, my tiny salary (about $10 bucks an hour) only allows for a pretty standard configuration. I do think that using my education discount (i am technically still a student at an academic medical center) that the 13" MBP with 4gb ram and 320 gig HD for less than $1300 is a steal.

Maybe once I am an attending I could afford a SSD.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

While I like your style, my tiny salary (about $10 bucks an hour) only allows for a pretty standard configuration. I do think that using my education discount (i am technically still a student at an academic medical center) that the 13" MBP with 4gb ram and 320 gig HD for less than $1300 is a steal.

Maybe once I am an attending I could afford a SSD.

shiz.....my ssd's alone cost more than 1300 :|

alhajis

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
And ask for permission to use those files...zzzzz.... cos i remember when i was working as a cardiovascular technologist, you can't use those videos files on your own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.