Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
Does this mean that rather than partitioning my hard drive, I can put Vista on a SD card and boot it? (I'm a bit tech stupid)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Does this mean that rather than partitioning my hard drive, I can put Vista on a SD card and boot it? (I'm a bit tech stupid)

Probably not, especially if the SD Card slot is on the USB bus???

Windows does not like booting off of external devices from what I hear. It has to do with how the Windows OS handles them.

I know it doesn't work from the USB ports.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
The existing MacBooks can boot from an SD card under Mac OS X (when using a USB-based card reader). As for speed, I've seen posts where the previous generation MacBook would boot from a class 4 SDHC card in about two minutes, versus about 45 seconds from the MacBook's internal hard drive.

L0s7man

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
Instead of ditching the Expresscard they should have introduced Expresscard 2.0 (specs came out in March). Now, that would be SOMETHING.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
i also don't see how this is interesting. osx has always been able to boot off of anything that can hold it, whether my compact flash, a usb drive, firewire, internal/external disks: everything.

zsnow

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
i'm wondering if i can boot windows xp from the sd.
so i don't have to use my hardware to create a new bootcamp partition.
when i need windows xp, just insert the sd card and boot

zsnow

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
the limited write cycles on sd...wouldent be long before you replace the sd card because its write cycles are used up.

i run most windows app from vmware. i just need bootcamp when i can't use vmware like flash the ssd firmware.

AdamLikesMusic

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
Just read on ifixit that the SD cards don't sit flush. (Says they stick out almost .5") That's a shame. Was hoping I could keep a 16/32gb card in there for added storage.

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
I don't know what the big deal is.. you could always boot an intel mac off a usb hard drive or flash drive too.. :rolleyes:

I have the OS X 10.5.6 dvd imaged on an 8gb usb flash drive and do installs from it all the time.. Its super fast.

PSpfano

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
This is weak

Apple should of put other ports on there too such as memory stick, sony makes good cameras, do you guys think they can make a sd and memory stick in one port?

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Apple should of put other ports on there too such as memory stick, sony makes good cameras, do you guys think they can make a sd and memory stick in one port?

Sony is ditching their proprietary memory format because there is no reason for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.