Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
michaelrjohnson said:
RE: Linked article

wow... emac mods... never would have thought

you are not serious? modding brings you closer to your computer. you can't form truly say you are bonded until you've fondled it under the covers a few times...

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
melchior said:
you are not serious? modding brings you closer to your computer. you can't form truly say you are bonded until you've fondled it under the covers a few times...

no no, i understand modding... but its just that the target market for eMacs isn't exactly the "pro" crowd. it's cool, either way.

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
michaelrjohnson said:
no no, i understand modding... but its just that the target market for eMacs isn't exactly the "pro" crowd. it's cool, either way.

there are many pro/power minded mac users who can't afford a power mac. just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have the money to back it up.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I just saw a website the other week (sorry, can't remember where) where a guy took apart all old iMac and put it in a case that he built to look like a mini-G5. It was pretty cool and I think it would be fun to do something similar.

Edit: Found it. It was in a thread in the Apple Collectors forum.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Another reason:
doesn't the eMac have 2 ATA connections while on the iMac one ATA connection? (Therefore 4 drives possible on eMac and only 2 possible on iMac).

jayscheuerle

macrumors 68020
Original poster
kgarner said:
I just saw a website the other week (sorry, can't remember where) where a guy took apart all old iMac and put it in a case that he built to look like a mini-G5. It was pretty cool and I think it would be fun to do something similar.

I saw that and it's absolutely cool, but I can't help but wonder why nobody has done this with the eMac? It's a nicely powered machine for $800, but unless you want a 50 lb. beast on your desktop, the built-in monitor is overkill.

I swear, if someone had a tutorial on how to de-monitor an eMac, I'd buy a new one and gut it in a minute. I've had an idea on building a in-the-wall mounted machine that fits between standard 16" spaced studs (3.5" deep) and taps directly into a power line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.