Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
After installing 3.0 GM on my 2G iPhone I immediately noticed some visual changes in the keyboard. The difference was subtle but noticeable and it bugged me so much that I downgraded back to 2.2.1 just to make some screenshots for comparison :D
If you flip between the two pictures below, you'll spot the differences.

Now, the question is, with the differences so subtle, why bother doing them at all? I can't imagine Steve Jobs saying: "Hey, {insert name of :apple: employee here}, reduce the font weight here by 5% and decrease the contrast of the background gradient by 3%". It's a well-known fact that Apple is unhealthily obsessed with the design, however I can't say that the second picture represents any significant improvement in usability, both are equally good.

Attachments

• iphone_keyboard_2.2.1.png
    iphone_keyboard_2.2.1.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 178
  • iphone_keyboard_3.0.png
    iphone_keyboard_3.0.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 152

lostime

macrumors regular
May 19, 2009
I want a customizable keyboard where I can add a "." and the "@" symbol on the everyday keyboard not just the Safari one.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
You must have a screw loose if you down graded to 2.2.1 because of something that small.

It's insane...

If you read my previous post, I downgraded just to take a screenshot, not because I like the old keyboard better. Then returned back to 3.0.

And what's insane is that someone at Apple is paying attention to something that small.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
If you read my previous post, I downgraded just to take a screenshot, not because I like the old keyboard better. Then returned back to 3.0.

And what's insane is that someone at Apple is paying attention to something that small.

No, that's called doing their job. What you're doing is something completely different....

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
You can't imagine Steve Jobs saying that?

Yeah I can totally see him saying that. Steve Jobs is one of the most anal people at Apple. But fortunate for Apple his being anal and telling people when their designs, ideas are stupid caused Apple to become successful as it has.

I can't tell any difference between the two keyboards.

Load it up in two separate tabs and cycle between them. It was pretty mesmerizing to do it back and forth, but for the person to downgrade because of it is ridiculous. Ridonkulous even.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I can BARELY tell a difference when they are side by side. I still feel like there may not be a difference at all and now it's just my mind playing tricks on me since I'm expecting it. The fact that you noticed this without comparing side by side blows my mind. You're probably incredible at the Spot The Difference game at the bar.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah I can totally see him saying that. Steve Jobs is one of the most anal people at Apple. But fortunate for Apple his being anal and telling people when their designs, ideas are stupid caused Apple to become successful as it has.

Load it up in two separate tabs and cycle between them. It was pretty mesmerizing to do it back and forth, but for the person to downgrade because of it is ridiculous. Ridonkulous even.

Did you read his post? He downgraded just to take a screen shot.

I noticed the difference as soon as I loaded 3.0

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I can BARELY tell a difference when they are side by side. I still feel like there may not be a difference at all and now it's just my mind playing tricks on me since I'm expecting it. The fact that you noticed this without comparing side by side blows my mind. You're probably incredible at the Spot The Difference game at the bar.

I have a pretty sharp attention to graphical detail because that's what my work involves. I work in a pre-press department and everything has to be perfect. I sometimes wish I didn't have this ability because when I notice things that are off, it bugs me... then people look at my like I'm out of my mind because they can't see the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.