Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 13, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
LifeIsCheap
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to LifeIsCheap
Question PC2700 memory in an iBook???

Hi all,

I've just received a sparkley new 1Ghz 12" iBook from Apple and the extra 512mb RAM that I ordered from MacShack.com.au. Now, the RAM that MacShack have supplied is PC2700 instead of the PC2100 that I ordered. I phoned up to query this and they said that they checked with their supplier who recommended PC2700 over PC2100 and that I should go ahead and fit it. They tell me that I can cause no harm.

Now, I'm usually of the belief that you should follow the manufacturer's instructions and that if PC2700 memory was the best choice then that is what Apple would tell you to put in.

Now my question is, am I going to do any damage if I put this RAM into my iBook? Will it work? Will it work better/worse than PC2100?

Any advice much appreciated...
LifeIsCheap is offline   0
Old May 13, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2
kidA
macrumors regular

it should work fine. it won't benefit you at all (as in it won't run any faster than the slower stuff--pc2100--because you're restricted by the slowness of other components of the ibook's logic board), but it shouldn't cause any problems. it will just run at a speed slower than it's capable of.
kidA is offline   0
Old May 15, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3
five04
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to five04
i have a ddr333 stick that i tried putting in my ibook and it kept causing crashes. it might be because it's such a cheap stick but still. apple's computers are insane when it comes to making ram work with it. try it out, if it works hours on end you're fine. if you start seeing weird crashes it's because of the ram. good luck.
five04 is offline   0
Old May 16, 2004, 09:10 PM   #4
LifeIsCheap
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to LifeIsCheap
Unhappy Can't budge the screws!

Thanks for the replies so far guys but I haven't been able to try out the memory yet. I followed the instructions as to removing the battery, keyboard and AirPort card successfully but cannot for the life of me budge two of the screws holding down the plate covering the memory!

Two came out after a little persuasion but the other two refuse to move and I'm afraid to keep trying in case I strip the thread. I'm gonna have to take a trip to my AppleCentre to see if they can help...
LifeIsCheap is offline   0
Old May 16, 2004, 10:29 PM   #5
belf8st
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsCheap
Thanks for the replies so far guys but I haven't been able to try out the memory yet. I followed the instructions as to removing the battery, keyboard and AirPort card successfully but cannot for the life of me budge two of the screws holding down the plate covering the memory!

Two came out after a little persuasion but the other two refuse to move and I'm afraid to keep trying in case I strip the thread. I'm gonna have to take a trip to my AppleCentre to see if they can help...
Check your manual. It specifies the size phillips you need. I believe its a #00 phillips. I picked one up at the local hardware store for a few bucks.

I also ordered memory for my rev b powerbook. Viking sent me 2700ddr memory as well. didn't harm the book at all.

good luck
belf8st is offline   0
Old May 16, 2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Threnody
macrumors member

When I got my iBook a couple of weeks ago I upgraded the RAM before even booting it for the first time. I was so worried about damaging it!

The hardest part for me was disconnecting the Airport Extreme antenna. It took WAY more force than I wanted to put toward my new baby!
Threnody is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers