Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
neevan
macrumors newbie

5.1 speaker system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
I have 15" classic MBP(non-uni).

This week i purchased creative 5.1 speaker system.
Cable which connects from MBP to Speaker system has three pins on bath sides.....

one end three pins are going to speaker input....when i connect any pin of the other end to my MBP ,only the front 2 speakers are working...

my 5.1 speaker system doesn't have optical input(but has auxillary input).

i found that TOSLINK mini-plug pin will work if speaker system has optical input...

is there any other alternative for me to get the sound from all 5speakers...

i just need sound from all 5speakers no doldy effect or 5.1 surround...

Please help me...

Thanks in advance
neevan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevan View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
I have 15" classic MBP(non-uni).

This week i purchased creative 5.1 speaker system.
Cable which connects from MBP to Speaker system has three pins on bath sides.....

one end three pins are going to speaker input....when i connect any pin of the other end to my MBP ,only the front 2 speakers are working...

my 5.1 speaker system doesn't have optical input(but has auxillary input).

i found that TOSLINK mini-plug pin will work if speaker system has optical input...

is there any other alternative for me to get the sound from all 5speakers...

i just need sound from all 5speakers no doldy effect or 5.1 surround...

Please help me...

Thanks in advance
The simplest way is to get a AV Receiver that has a toslink input. Then you can use passive speakers. I've seen good working AV receivers in thrift stores for $40.

EDIT: Some of the mid-level audio interfaces can monitor suround sound, they have analog outputs for 5.1 or 7.1 But when you look at the price the AV receiver is cheaper. For example look at this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Saffire/
You are still best off using the AV Receiver as it will do all the decoding has a big built-in amp, remote control and so on.

Last edited by ChrisA; Jun 11, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
slpdLoad
macrumors 6502a

A Griffin Firewave will do this. But, just getting sound out of all 5 is very different from surround sound or something. You can get splitters to make the stereo feed go into multiple speakers. The Firewave will spread the sound out a bit, but not as well as you might like to 5.1.
slpdLoad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:46 PM   #4
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
If you simply just need sound. Radioshack makes a spillter that has three outputs, similar to this, it's not on their online store, but if you go to the actual store, they have them.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio