Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Oleophobic screen.
Nice.
However, fingerprint proof is NOT scratch proof.
So, what type of screen saver (not full body) do you all suggest to continue the thought of limited fingerprints, yet also scratch resistant?

I want a screen protector (as apposed to full body) cuz i'm putting it in a case. Suggestions?

redrox5

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'd say the general consensus around here is that PowerSupport Anti-Glare or Crystal Film is the best. I got them after being reccommended them here back in 2007. I got them again for my 3G and will get them for my 3G S as well.

timmypv15

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
The Power Supports still scratch up however. The InvisibleShield that I had on my iPhone 2G was awesome. Never scratched, and fingerprints didn't show up nearly as much as they do on the Power Supports

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Are they necessary? I never used one with my iphone and its flawless. Come to think of it, i never even saw a scratched screen before.

Just curious.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd say the general consensus around here is that PowerSupport Anti-Glare or Crystal Film is the best. I got them after being reccommended them here back in 2007. I got them again for my 3G and will get them for my 3G S as well.

Yeah I have the anti-glare film as well, and its pretty awesome. I've been using that same single film for almost a year and a half now on my iphone. And when I cracked my screen the film is keeping the pieces from falling off :D

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
the screen is very durable. just keep it away from sand at all costs. that's the one thing that can easily scratch it up.

but I also recommend the InvisibleShield front for the screen.

yes, it has a slight orange peel effect, but fingerprints are reduced dramatically, and it doesn't get scratched.

fr00b

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Power Support Anti-Glare films seems to work the best, especially with the 3G. Prevents finger prints and smudges all across the screen. :)

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
lol nice. Not sure it's a reason for buying one though...!

Haha yeah, its just nice knowing that if I didn't have that film on, my screen wouldn't be functioning lol.

Here's a pic, air pockets all over the place lol:

Attachments

• Photo 9.jpg
    Photo 9.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 174

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Power Support Anti-Glare films seems to work the best, especially with the 3G. Prevents finger prints and smudges all across the screen. :)

I was using one for some 5 months until a few scratches on it made me take it off. I decided not to put another one on as the beauty of the screen now clearly shows through. As long as one is reasonably careful - ie no keys or coins in your pocket - I do not see the need for a screen protector.

Yes, it gets fingerprints like crazy but, for me at least, there is a net benefit.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
the screen is very durable. just keep it away from sand at all costs. that's the one thing that can easily scratch it up.

but I also recommend the InvisibleShield front for the screen.

yes, it has a slight orange peel effect, but fingerprints are reduced dramatically, and it doesn't get scratched.

I like a combo between full rear Invisible Shield protection, but Power Support Crystal film for the front.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
but ruins resolution.

Yeah. I don't understand why so many people like this thing. I bought it on the overwhelming recommendations from this board, and my screen looked like total crap afterwards. Any and all white space was converted to seizure-inducing rainbow artifacting.

It did prevent fingerprints nicely. But I've found that going without a screen protector is the best. They always get scratched up and a naked screen doesn't. So what's the point, really?

Randykn.

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Oleophobic screen.

they did coat this for some reasons which is to resists fingerprints
and now people want to put another screen protector on it?
so that basically just recontructing the fingerprints problems again

wasn't the iphone scratchproof all along? keys can't scratch it, that's the main reason for scratches? you're not planning to glide the phone on concrete are you?
its just not crackproof, so yeah get a casing with a string attached like nintedo wii lol,

anyway my 2g iphone was case-free all these while, have a dent or two at my back case but no scratches on screen, its almost 2 years now
so.. 'just go naked!'

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have two scratches on my glass. Not sure how they got there. I don't use a screen protector, but I also make sure not to put keys or coins in my pocket with my phone. I guess I wasn't careful enough.

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
After destroying the screen on my 3G, I'm definitely going to be picking up some sort of screen protector when I get the new iPhone.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I've used BodyGuardz, Best Skins Ever, and InvisibleShield, I think they're all pretty much the same... over time when the corners fold up, that's when it sucks :(

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Oleophobic screen.
Nice.
However, fingerprint proof is NOT scratch proof.
So, what type of screen saver (not full body) do you all suggest to continue the thought of limited fingerprints, yet also scratch resistant?

I want a screen protector (as apposed to full body) cuz i'm putting it in a case. Suggestions?

Wait! Is the original post saying that the new 3G-S phone "oleophobic" screen is NOT as scratch proof as the current 3G screen ? :confused:

jmeray

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Tks for the responses so far.

Well, like another poster said... we just dont know.
The Oleophobic treatment helps with keeping fingerprints off the screen.
Thats wonderful!
However, will the screen show scratches easier now because that treatment provides a layer of fingerprint protection that scratches easily?
Thats my concern.
So, I thought, hmmm there has gotta be some really good screen protector that doesnt cause the rainbow affect, doesn't look like i wrapped plastic-wrap around my iphone, it has decent fingerprint protection, and good scratch protection.
I put it on, i put the case incase slider on.
I wait and see how other "naked" people fair with the new oleophobic screen.
If we find out its just as scratch proof as the naked glass was on the 3G, then I have the option of removing the protector.

But until i know... i'd rather have the protection.
Then again, i hope the screen saver doesnt pull the treatment off! :) doubtful, but i'd like to read the manual in that section before I place a screen protector on.

So it sounds to me like the:

1) Power support Crystal FILM
2) The Invisible Shield FRONT section
3) Power support Anti-Glare

are being recommended, with the AntiGlare being disliked by a few.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've been using the Anti-Glare about four months now and have not noticed any of this "nausea inducing rainbow effect".

It looks good. Go to an Apple store and I guarantee you can find a genius with one on his iPhone. That's where I got to see it in use before making my decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.