Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorenjorvang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I just did a visual calibration of my new Mac using SuperCal.

This color profile (attached) is for a mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro with a LP133WX3-TLA1 display panel (0610-9C9F).

I set the gamma to 2.2, but you can change that with SuperCal if you like.

Note that because TN panels, even such a good one as this, are very sensitive to vertical viewing angle, in a sense what I have done is simply create a profile for my preferred viewing angle. Still, it's probably a useful starting point for others as well.

The mb13pro9c9f file goes in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles .

Attachments

• mb13pro9c9f.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 3,921

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Thanks, I have the 9CBD, and this calibration does not look good on it, just for reference for others. This thread could really take off good though, I'd love to find a nice calibration for this display.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Keep in mind that color reponse will vary between individual units of LCD panels, despite them being the same model #. The variation can be pretty significant too. That is why they have calibration utilities in the first place, and why the really high end monitors usually ship with a colorimeter included.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using others' calibration profiles, or even basing your own calibrations off of those of others. Calibrate yours independently because there is no reason someone else's display profile is going to make yours look any better or more accurate. If it did, it would be random luck. Naturally the best solution is to use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer but if you're not relatively serious about photo editing then visual calibration using the built in utility or SuperCal is going to be fine. Actually, the default calibration that came with my 13" MBP compares pretty well to my calibrated 22" IPS display (once I modified the default profile to be 2.2 gamma and 6500K color temp). There is some small difference but I expect that to lessen or dissapear once I calibrate the Mac display too.

Just my 0.02

Ruahrc

theKitch

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I have found that the MBA Native L profile is dead on (as compared to my calibrated 20" Dell LCD)

Attachments

• MBA Profiles.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 2,006

theKitch

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
FWIW I tried using the SuperCal profile above and doing my own supercal profiles by hand and found the MBA profile better than both. It's not perfect, but still damn close.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Here's mine for the 9CBD. The MBA ones listed here have way too much color for my tastes. Just look at contacts icon.. thats a strange variation of yellow.

Anyways .. Hope someone likes this.

Attachments

• MBP-13 9CBD.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,829

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Here's mine for the 9CBD. The MBA ones listed here have way too much color for my tastes. Just look at contacts icon.. thats a strange variation of yellow.

Anyways .. Hope someone likes this.

I keep forgetting that the 9C9F is a mba panel! Bump for more calibration profile

sorenjorvang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I tried the various profiles posted by other people.

The MBA ones all had a green tint. However, trying the various profiles also made me realize that my own SuperCal profile had a slight blueish tint.

I just did another calibration, this time with the Apple app because I found the SuperCal white balance adjustment fiddly.

I like this one best so far.

It happens to look very much like Maven1975's 9CBD profile on my 9C9F, just with a different gamma for a more contrasty look.

Attachments

• icc9c9f.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,554

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Keep in mind that color reponse will vary between individual units of LCD panels, despite them being the same model #. The variation can be pretty significant too. That is why they have calibration utilities in the first place, and why the really high end monitors usually ship with a colorimeter included.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend using others' calibration profiles, or even basing your own calibrations off of those of others. Calibrate yours independently because there is no reason someone else's display profile is going to make yours look any better or more accurate. If it did, it would be random luck. Naturally the best solution is to use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer but if you're not relatively serious about photo editing then visual calibration using the built in utility or SuperCal is going to be fine. Actually, the default calibration that came with my 13" MBP compares pretty well to my calibrated 22" IPS display (once I modified the default profile to be 2.2 gamma and 6500K color temp). There is some small difference but I expect that to lessen or dissapear once I calibrate the Mac display too.

Just my 0.02

Ruahrc

I followed your advice and I feel you are right. I created my own color profile using the Expert Mode in the calibration tool and I am very happy with the results.

Thanks!

ncx5

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
For 9CBD

Here's mine, based on Spyder. Gamma 2.1

Enjoy...

New Supercal Calibration for 9BCD

Attachments

• Ncx5-Spyder-Pro.icc.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 3,480
  • NCX5-MP9BCD-Supercal.icc.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,699

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
im using the MBA's D65 22 color profile, that and the MBP-13 looked the best on my 9C9F. That synder one looked terrible on it though.

Does anyone know where i can get the pic Apple used at the keynote on the screens of the MBP's when they announced the higher gamut screens? i really like it!

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
13" 9CBD Profile

So here's one I created, I tried to keep it as neutral as possible - hope it helps someone.

Attachments

• Macbook Pro 13.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,570
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.