Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
natatos
macrumors regular

Can a power cord short out, and if it can would that cause a macbook to turn off.

a few hours ago my macbook turned off for no apparent reason and now my power cord wont work the battery is at 10% and says about 14 min remaining. the cord itself is hanging by a celled wire and a lot of tiny wires by the part where you plug it in. But I have it taped together with electrical tape and that holds it together pretty good. I'm also using the add on to give it six feet of cord instead of like three or four. I've tested the plugs and I think its in the box thing on the cord. should I get a new one, e walmart ater way the apple stores and bust buy are closing in about 15 min so unless or target have them I cant use it until tomorrow. BTW I tested the short plug thing.
natatos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

MacBook power adapters are notorious for fraying and shorting. If you go to an Apple store they may even give you a new one for free.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

It's probably not a short, if the wires are frayed it's probably not connecting one of the power lines in the magsafe connector.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help