Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the final version of its Safari 4 browser, officially launched Monday after the company's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address, has been downloaded over 11 million times in the first three days of release. Notably, Safari for Windows has accounted for half of the total downloads.
Apple today announced that more than 11 million copies of Safari 4 have been downloaded in the first three days of its release, including more than six million downloads of Safari for Windows. Safari 4 is the world's fastest, most innovative browser and is built on the world's most advanced browser technologies including the new Nitro JavaScript engine that executes JavaScript nearly eight times faster than IE 8 and more than four times faster than Firefox 3. Safari quickly loads HTML web pages more than three times faster than IE 8 and three times faster than Firefox 3.
Safari 4 is a free download available from Apple's site.

Article Link: Safari 4 Tops 11 Million Downloads in First Three Days

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land
Oh really windows?

How many of those windows downloads do you think were slipped in with people who hadn't updated their iTunes/quicktime yet and they didn't even mean to download it?

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
Windows Numbers Not Surprising

You gotta figure that most of those Windows downloads were Boot Camp users. I'm sure there's a few Safari fans on Windows, but lets not delude ourselves ...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I noticed someone on the local news was still using Safari 4 Beta. He was going over the news with a video feed from his Mac screen this morning. That is a strange way to do the news. Using tabs to switch to different news stories and talking about them. Tabs were at the top.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
You gotta figure that most of those Windows downloads were Boot Camp users. I'm sure there's a few Safari fans on Windows, but lets not delude ourselves ...

haha probably true. I was at work yesterday (on my Mac) and I opened up a new Safari tab to show someone a website, and they saw the Quick Look screen while I was typing in the URL and it amazed them. They loved it.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK

True

when they bundle it into software update, who would've thought? he he

More likely! I hit install without bothering to check what it was Apple was installing. I like this new build. The old one F'd up my skin.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
We've got it downloaded on 4 Mac's already in our household. So far I like it, but haven't decided to make the complete switch back from FireFox yet. Need to play with it some more, I think. :apple:

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Obviously this count will be high. It will most likely hit over 100 million soon. It's part of Software Update and people are just immune to updating their system. Most aren't saying, "Hey, I'm gonna download Safari 4." It's, "Hey, I'm gonna do the Software Update, oh look, Safari 4 is part of it." lol

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
Safari 4 is running beautifully on my work pc running xp as well as my mac at home. I've experienced a couple crashes on the pc and the mac in the first two days but they have yet to reappear.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
How many of those windows downloads do you think were slipped in with people who hadn't updated their iTunes/quicktime yet and they didn't even mean to download it?

Hum if you've installed iTunes on Windows the software update DOES NOT ask you to install Safari. The only way it'll show Safari 4 as an update is if you have safari 3 installed. And since it is quite simple to not download the update ( a simple check ) there is no way that more than a dozen people downloaded Safari 4 without meaning to do so. Plus no regular windows user is using Safari. You have to go a bit off the beaten path in order to install Safari on windows.

andyvp

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Detroit, MI
Safari 4 and the beta both kills my work pc. If it is open it and all my other programs run at half speed. I would love to use it but it's a no go.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Software Update mostly, but wow is it fast

I'm sure these figures are being driven by automatic software updates.

However... I must say that I was *shocked* by how fast Safari 4 is when I updated my year-old macbook last night.

If Snow Leopard has had as much attention as Safari 4 obviously has, then we're in for a real treat and an absolute steal at $29.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Just because I downloaded it as part of other updates doesn't mean that I use it... :p

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Safari 4 Beta was what caused me to switch from the less-than-ideal Mac Firefox.

Shame I lose a bit of vertical space now the tabs aren't in the titles, but they did cause a few unexpected minimisations.

atomic3

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
This just in!!! The entire 300+ million United States population is switching to digital television today!!! Oh wait...

AndreH

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I wonder if they're counting people like me...

I downloaded it a second time in the hopes that reinstalling it would stop it from hanging with the spinning pizza icon.

It seems that Safari 4 doesn't like me to scroll through long web pages - maybe with Flash. The beta didn't seem to be this unstable.

It also has trouble with the coverflow history viewer - similar hangs. Maybe getting stuck on the same pages, who knows.

I hope they fix this soon, as I like Safari 4 otherwise.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Safari causes more headaches than anything other browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE8) on the machines that I installed it on. Back to a real browser......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.