Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:29 AM   #1
tstirling22
macrumors newbie

Safe to delete items in downloads folder?

i Have over 40 gigs of files in my downloads folder (a lot of which is music) Is it safe to delete this folder? should i do something first? get an app to do it for me? thanks in advance!
tstirling22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000

If you don't want them anymore then delete them. It doesn't do anything but store downloaded files.
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Why store your music in your Downloads folder..? Import it into iTunes and have iTunes copy it to the iTunes folder.

Don't delete the Downloads folder, just delete what's inside if you don't need it..
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 02:07 AM   #4
tstirling22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Why store your music in your Downloads folder..? Import it into iTunes and have iTunes copy it to the iTunes folder.

Don't delete the Downloads folder, just delete what's inside if you don't need it..
I dont store my music in the downloads folder. The whole point of me starting this thread is so i dont have to go through the trouble of browsing my downloads folder
Old Jun 22, 2009, 02:12 AM   #5
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstirling22 View Post
I dont store my music in the downloads folder.
I mean... you just said that you had 40 GB of music + stuff in your downloads folder. Is there also a copy of the file in your Music folder? Is there anything else from the Downloads folder that you use? It's worth browsing through to make sure that there isn't anything in there that you might need, once it's deleted it can be fairly arduous and expensive to recover.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:02 AM   #6
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
I dont store my music in the downloads folder. The whole point of me starting this thread is so i dont have to go through the trouble of browsing my downloads folder
Well, you are making no sense.. read your first post and now read your response to me.

Re-think what it is you are trying to do.. you aren't being clear at all.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:08 AM   #7
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
If you can't be bothered, just bin it. If you don't care why should anyone else?

I'll be looking out for the follow up thread - "Crap. Deleted Downloads folder, everything important to me gone. What do I do?"

Laughter commences...
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:26 AM   #8
rheuter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Well, you are making no sense.. read your first post and now read your response to me.

Re-think what it is you are trying to do.. you aren't being clear at all.
I am sorry but if you understand what does the "Downloads" folder does in iTunes then you will see he makes perfect sense...

What the "Downloads" folder does is when you are downloading (read: downloading, not downloaded) items from iTunes (store purchases - music, movies, MVs, and podcasts - both audio and video), it is being temporary stored in this folder until the download is completed, then it will be moved to the appropriate place in the "iTunes Music" folder. Now from time to time when the download is incomplete the files will then get stuck in this folder permanently. That's why in tstirling22's case he has over 40GBs of files. In my case I also have over 800MBs of files in this folder as well...

Now you said "just delete what's inside if you don't need it..", are you sure by doing so will not confused the "iTunes Library" (the iTunes database file) file hence corrupted it and screwed up the entire iTunes library? Kindly please confirm.

Have a nice day.

/Rheuter
rheuter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:49 PM   #9
tstirling22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk View Post
If you can't be bothered, just bin it. If you don't care why should anyone else?

I'll be looking out for the follow up thread - "Crap. Deleted Downloads folder, everything important to me gone. What do I do?"

Laughter commences...
well yea thats exactly what i dont want haha. Does anybody know that downloaded music that is in the downloads folder that is also in iTunes will stay in iTunes if i delete it from the downloads folder? I hope that was clear..
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:12 PM   #10
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheuter View Post
I am sorry but if you understand what does the "Downloads" folder does in iTunes then you will see he makes perfect sense...
We all understand that, I am sorry but if you understand that this was posted under Mac OS X forum and not iTunes then you will see this makes no sense.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:40 PM   #11
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
well yea thats exactly what i dont want haha. Does anybody know that downloaded music that is in the downloads folder that is also in iTunes will stay in iTunes if i delete it from the downloads folder? I hope that was clear..
MOve the contents of the folder to another one. Then see if you have any problems, if you do move it back.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:15 PM   #12
rheuter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightPhoenix View Post
We all understand that, I am sorry but if you understand that this was posted under Mac OS X forum and not iTunes then you will see this makes no sense.
I agreed the poster is posted in the wrong forum but if you read Kilamite's responses it is obvious that he knows this is an iTunes related issue and his statement of "makes no sense" is simply referring to why music file is store under "Downloads" folder, NOT because tstirling22 is posting this question under OSX forum... so by trying to mock my post and give me a fire back is not contribute to this thread at all. And if you like the job of being a moderator so much maybe you should file the application of the forum admin instead of trying to be one while you are not.

Your next response to tstirling22 is a very dangerous move as I have stated in my first post the iTunes database file is one of the last file you want to corrupt in the iTunes world, and if you move contents inside the iTunes folder it might confused the database file thus corrupt it and make the iTunes shows no content when loaded. So my question to you is? Is your answer a wild guess or a legit method?
rheuter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:33 AM   #13
(L)SD
macrumors newbie

Items in Download folder - do they RESIDE there?

Is the download folder just a temporary holding zone? If I clean it out, is all that stuff really gone, or am I deleting files that are duplicated elsewhere?
(L)SD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:42 AM   #14
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (L)SD View Post
Is the download folder just a temporary holding zone? If I clean it out, is all that stuff really gone, or am I deleting files that are duplicated elsewhere?
It's not temporary and those files in there and not duplicates of others unless you made them. It's just a normal folder like your Documents folder.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 02:28 PM   #15
strangegeek
macrumors newbie

good question

This question is something I've been wondering for a while and since I made the switch to Lion I've tried to get a better grasp of the way Macs handle files. I've always wondered:

-When I download an app, say Growl or Notational Velocity, it shows up in both my "applications" folder and the "downloads" folder in my dock. If I delete the app from the "downloads" folder does that mean it will be gone from the "applications" folder, will the icon remain but give me an error?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is I have about 10 GB worth of files in the "downloads" folder on my dock - mostly from apps I have downloaded or from audio books purchased from places outside of Itunes (I have my Itunes folder set to download to an external hard drive) - are these duplicates of files in the applications folder and does deleting them affect the application itself if it's already in the applications folder?

Thanks for your help!
strangegeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:45 PM   #16
pumcal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
It's not temporary and those files in there and not duplicates of others unless you made them. It's just a normal folder like your Documents folder.
Thank You for this comment. I do believe that this is the answer I have been searching for on the web, and the answer that the original poster (I believe) was looking for.
pumcal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X