Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2004
Norway
Hi!

I've read many posts about burning/copying/backuping dvds... but I don't understand nothing..... can anyone tell me in an easy way:

How can i copy my dvds (backup :eek: ) - without using expensive software... are there any free programs ??

i've downloaded "DVD Backup" ... what do i do when i've finished copying the dvd to the disk... can i insert a blank dvd-r, drag the video_ts over and burn??

thank youuu! very much!!

sofie :)

using: iMac something os x10.2 with CD-RW/DVD-R

sofiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2004
Norway
backup and copy i guess... make a copy of a dvd as a backup of the original.....!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Chip NoVaMac said:
MacTheRipper, DVD2OneX, and Toast; the perfect 1, 2, 3 punch....
Not quite free but it is what I'd use too. Although it's almost $150. Pretty steep if you ask me.

Free would be:
1. MacTheRipper
2. ...--> Duh, I forgot the name of the free program that recompresses, does anyone else know?
3. DVD Imager
4. Burn with Disk Utility

Anyway... it goes way faster with the above mentioned 3 apps. You can always substitute Toast with Apple's Disk Utility though.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Here is a good program. I found it on VersionTracker, its called Fast DVD Copy. It allows you to take an existing DVD and throw out stuff like subtitles, and other languages, to make it fit on a single layer DVD (4.7G).

You can find it here: Fast DVD Copy

The Good: You can download a trial version which will let you burn one copy. Another good thing is that you only have to click one button to start the process. The Bad: it will only let you burn one copy, then you have to pay for it, $99.95 in order to buy it is really steep in my book. However, it works really well, and the DVD i burnt had really no loss of quality.

sofiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2004
Norway
hey thank you... i'll probably use the free solution ;)
but does anyone know a free compresser program stuff well i dont know what to call it ("...--> Duh, I forgot the name of the free program that recompresses, does anyone else know?") shrriiiiinking the dvd thing...

well. hehe... :rolleyes:

// okey thank you..... was bit to slow in writing :p
sofie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.