Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
xaxidk
macrumors newbie

[Help] Need to restore password locked iPod touch w/ broken home button

My brother's iPod touch from 2007 has had a broken home button for the past few months, which is annoying, but he's been able to deal with it.

However, yesterday, something happened with his iPod, and now whenever he reboots it, the "connect to iTunes" icon shows up. Unfortunately, we're vacationing, and the only computer he has access to is my laptop, and my iTunes isn't synced to his iPod. This means that whenever I try to restore the iPod for him, it says something about iTunes not being able to connect until the passcode has been entered, which isn't possible, because the first thing that shows up is the "connect to iTunes" symbol.

To top it off, I can't reboot the Touch in DFU mode because the home button is broken.

So... help. Is there anything I can do for my brother, or is he stuck with a bricked Touch until we go home in a month?
xaxidk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:45 PM   #2
markojug
macrumors regular

When you see the "connect to iTunes" screen, just plug it in. You don't have to put it into DFU mode, unless he jailbroke it. Did he? If no, just send it to Apple to get a free one
markojug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:18 AM   #3
xaxidk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojug View Post
When you see the "connect to iTunes" screen, just plug it in. You don't have to put it into DFU mode, unless he jailbroke it. Did he? If no, just send it to Apple to get a free one
The problem is that when I plug it in, iTunes tells me I need to enter the passcode before the connection will work. And the iPod warranty already expired, so he can't trade it in.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
markojug
macrumors regular

Does he know his iPod Touch passcode? If he doesn't, then your screwed
markojug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:20 PM   #5
xaxidk
macrumors newbie

We know the passcode, but can't input it because of the "connect to iTunes" symbol.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
CHANMH09
macrumors newbie

unfortunately...

its best if u guys connect to the apple expert if not it might be time for a new iPod. we had the same condition happen to our iPod but it came bacxk after multiple times of pressing the home and power button only thing is now all the APPS are completely gone.
go here and consult an expert: http://www.apple.com/support/expert/
CHANMH09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch