Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
It's going to come time eventually where I'll want dual displays with my Mac Pro, and I'll be damned if I attach anything that says "Dell" (Hell) on it to my Mac Pro.

And, I've found Apple's recent goings-on regarding its Cinema Displays to be questionable. They market that nice looking new LED for the bloody laptops and then come out later and say - "oh yeah, you can use it for the Mini, too," which doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. When I visited my "friendly neighborhood Apple Store" yesterday one of the sales guys said that the new 24 inch LED won't work yet with the Mac Pro (For some reason I thought it did).

So, if Apple Store Dude was correct on that, what the hell is Apple up to regarding their monitors? Their behavior on this subject over the past year has not made any sense at all to me. I want to buy a new Cinema Display and keep my present 23" as my secondary display in a dual monitor set up, and I've looked around and am confident that Apple's monitors are better than most all the others - but dealing with Apple's bizarre pattern of product releases can leave one befuddled.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
If you check apples site, it says

extended desktop
When you connect your new MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or Mini DisplayPort-enabled Mac desktops (Mac Pro, Mac mini, iMac) to the LED Cinema Display, it’s like upgrading your screen to first class. The 24-inch glossy widescreen display gives your work room to move. And the 1920-by-1200 resolution gives it room to impress.

so long as you have a mini display port enabled mac pro it should work fine, Apple Store guy, like his counterparts Best Buy guy and Wal-Mart guy has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

buckeye17

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
If you won't get a Dell monitor because of the name... that's kinda sad to be honest. Dell's nice Ultrasharp monitors (some of them are bad) are really good, and their warranty support is amazing.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
If you won't get a Dell monitor because of the name... that's kinda sad to be honest. Dell's nice Ultrasharp monitors (some of them are bad) are really good, and their warranty support is amazing.

Because I hate Dell the same way my father hates Sears. I've dealt with their crappy products and crappy customer service for enough years that I maintain a personal boycott of their miserable wretched company. They can go the way of GM for all I care.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
But back on topic - and not to re-open the can of worms about the matte or glossy controversy - but any idea how the glossy 24 inch LED helps or hurts with photography editing and color correctness?

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
You can connect the Mac Pro to the 24" LED display, you just need an extra NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card to do it. Basically tying up another PCI slot, but what else is new.

globalmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
duped by apple for a 24"

You can connect the Mac Pro to the 24" LED display, you just need an extra NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card to do it. Basically tying up another PCI slot, but what else is new.

Hi - I just got duped by apple into buying a 24" for a Mac Pro thats 1 year old. I got it here and it doesn't match. The adapter apple told me to but won't work. Can I plug in the GeForce card and go with it? any other suggestions?

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Hi - I just got duped by apple into buying a 24" for a Mac Pro thats 1 year old. I got it here and it doesn't match. The adapter apple told me to but won't work. Can I plug in the GeForce card and go with it? any other suggestions?

Yes that should work, as long as you have the additional graphics card. Basically you need two Geforce cards.

Dexter v House

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
UK
A couple of months ago, Macworld did a review of recent lcd monitors, and-surprise!-the 24" ACD wasn't their first choice! Top honors went to a gateway with a better price.

MacWorld June 2009,
ACD v HP LP2475W v LaCie324 v Samsung 245T v ViewSonic 2433wm
all 24"

HP LP2475W was their pick.
I'd recommend calibration as factory settings are bad.
And it has more connections than you can throw a stick at.
Haven't read the review word by word, nor recommending it as such, just a FYI.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just got duped by apple into buying a 24" for a Mac Pro thats 1 year old
clear.gif

Pretty sure you didn't get duped by anyone and that you should have done some research and known that you'd need to buy a GT 120 or 4870 for that display to work.

globalmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Pretty sure you didn't get duped by anyone and that you should have done some research and known that you'd need to buy a GT 120 or 4870 for that display to work.

Forgive me, I'm a newbie. You're right - I should have done more research, but I was under the gun and specifically asked the guy on the Apple support line if the 24" would work on an early 2008 Mac pro, and he said "all you need is an adapter". Let me rephrase and say "was misled" by Apple support.

I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but you would think Apple would provide an adapter to fit older models. I know Apple is strange in how they release their products, wanting you to buy their latest and greatest, but really, to make a monitor that doesn't fit older models AND discontinue making ones that fit doesn't seem like a wise business choice. The 30" would work, but who has $1800 to spend on a monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.