Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
mi
This is an odd one, and I haven't been able to find similar situations (or solutions, for that matter). I've been experiencing some oddness while using my mac, for a while now - I'll save the long story, but the short version is this - for some reason, programs seem unable to save any changes to preference files. Even if I trash the original .plist files and create a new one - after the original file is created, no new changes are saved. Perusing my preference folder, no .plist file has had any changes saved for some time (Feb 24). I haven't been using this machine too much lately (mostly my wife uses it), so I hadn't noticed it earlier, but now its driving me crazy (especially since Safari 4 went out of beta - I can't save any preferences, so I now have an apple start page, and get the 'top sites' every time I open a new window or tab...)

Anyhew, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them - I've tried reparing permissions, repairing the disk, forcing cron jobs, combo updating vs. the auto update (to 10.5.7), but the plist files still refuse to update.

Not sure where to go from here, and I really don't want to entertain the thought of re-installing over this issue... I'd like to find out why it's happening and fix it.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Bugger. I was hoping I had just forgotten to click on the 'instant email notification' button. :eek:

nik1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Same problem with permission files.
Did you fixed that somehow or you created a new acount?
Coz in the new test account i created everything seems to work fine.
Any helpful info will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
mi
No, never found resolution. Only options were to use a different account, or re-install. Sorry -

nik1981

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Thanx for your reply mkaake.
If i won't find a solution soon, a new user account maybe my best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.