Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
How do i stream movies, music etc from my Mac Pro in my study to my MBP plugged into my TV?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
My first though is to use iTunes sharing.

Add the media to iTunes on the MP, then enable sharing in iTunes (iTunes Preferences > Sharing "Share my library on my local network". On the MBP, the shared library from the MP should show up in the media list (left side) under "Shared" (if not, check iTunes preferences Sharing "Look for shared libraries" is enable).

You should [on the MBP] find your video/audio under the MP's shared library - it will play (stream) from the MP.

pekedey

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
gr8tfly is right on supposing all of your media is in iTunes... if it isn't all you need to do is set up folder sharing for the folders that have your media in them.

You do this (on your Mac Pro) by:
In system preference\internet and networking\sharing
Check File Sharing
Add any folders you want to share
Set up what user access people have (typically if it's just your home network and you don't care about privacy, you can make "Everyone" have read/write access)

Now on your MBP Simply open up your finder. The name of your Mac Pro should appear on the left-hand side. Open it and you should be able to navigate to the shared folders containing your media.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
thankyou!

was going to buy apple tv for this but was not happy with it, so thought the MBP was a better option.

Does this work in front row too?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
There is also software that can use any computer as another computer's speakers, which allows for another form of streaming. You only have to pay for the broadcasting software while the receiving software is free.

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
There is also software that can use any computer as another computer's speakers, which allows for another form of streaming. You only have to pay for the broadcasting software while the receiving software is free.

Which is?

pekedey

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
Ever since I made the move to Plex (a freeware Frontrow-like program that is better IMO) I haven't touched Front Row, so I can't really say I've ever tried shared files/streaming to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.