Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
So I've setup a windows 2003 server with exchange server 2007 and set zoneedit.com to act as my dns servers. I setup a subdomain under godaddy as mail.mydomain.com and created an mx record of mail.mydomain.com and (a) record to mail.mydomain.com

Now i'm trying to access it through the iphone and when it asks for server I put in mail.mydomain.com and it doesn't work. I believe it can find the server because it asks to verify ssl certificates but I just can't figure it out. // EDIT: Got this part to work.

Now if someone can help me get the sending and receiving email part of it to work... I opened all ports on my router just to eliminate port configuration problems.

If anyone can help me with this it would be very appreciated.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Setting up Exchange 2007 is no small task. If all you've done is guessed your way through the set up you've got next to no hope of getting it working.

You either know how to set it up, or you don't, in which case you need a consultant who does.

Not much help I know, but Exchange 2007 has many components to it, and they can't even all be on the same server.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for the straight answer... I'm just trying to learn it out of curiosity.

Do you by any change know what components can't be installed on the same server?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The Client Access Server (CAS) has to be on a separate box, if I recall correctly. edit: Maybe Hub Transport too actually, though CAS and HT can share a server.

Honestly, I've been on the 5 day Exchange 2007 course (5047A), I still couldn't get it all up and running from scratch without a lot of help.

2003 I did once get up and running through pure guess work, 2007 is not so easy though. You have the fact you need more than one server, then you need to get them to talk to each other. You have to generate and register certificates for each bit. Then just to top things off a lot of this has to be done through PowerShell, only adding to the complication.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks!

I suppose I can setup a couple virtual servers through esxi and yea 2003 was easier just cause I could guess my way through...

Btw, how did you like that course? Helpful?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Success in receiving mail now just got to figure out how to get it to send mail outside the internal network! This so far has been an interesting experience.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
YAY! everything is configured correctly. Now I just have to secure everything

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
Exchange 2007 has many components to it, and they can't even all be on the same server.

the first part is correct, the 2nd is correct, but irrelevant. There is an optional exchange component that cannot be installed on the main exchange server.

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
YAY! everything is configured correctly. Now I just have to secure everything

only allow inbound port 25 for SMTP, and 443 for HTTPS

If you want to learn about how to configure a small system, then get a copy of SBS, and build it _many_ times

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks! I've actually been building and rebuilding several times cleaning up anything and also getting a better understanding of internal dns servers and creating SSL certificates for OWA.

Yea I also read that edge transport server is the optional component that can't be installed on the same server as exchange and microsoft recommends it for better security.

One more question...
If I named my AD server as mydomain.local and want exchange to be able to connect to the internet how would I go about doing this? Wouldn't all the exchange accounts be username@mydomain.local? Would I have to create some sort of alias so username@mydomain.com is the same as username@mydomain.local?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
only allow inbound port 25 for SMTP, and 443 for HTTPS

If you want to learn about how to configure a small system, then get a copy of SBS, and build it _many_ times

Absolutely spot on. Also, make sure you secure the SMTP service so you're not relaying any mail not sent from or to you.

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
If I named my AD server as mydomain.local and want exchange to be able to connect to the internet how would I go about doing this? Wouldn't all the exchange accounts be username@mydomain.local? Would I have to create some sort of alias so username@mydomain.com is the same as username@mydomain.local?

you can send email as anything you want, whether it will be received is a different question. to receive email you need to have a domain registered, and MX records pointing at the public IP that you have exposed/published/natted port 25 on your mail server(s)

I think your question is actually, "how do a configure exchange to use a public domain name for email addresses?" to which the answer is recipient policies, and allowed domains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.