Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I guess we're about half way to a new iMac release, so what would you like changed or improved in iMac 2010?

Here's my list:

- LED Backlit LCD Panels,
- 30" Model,
- Quad Core Processors,
- Faster Onboard nVidia Graphics,
- >1TB HD Options,
- Updated Mighty Mouse,
- Black keyed / backlit Keyboard,
- Aluminium Build - File the sharp edges.

That's my wishes please Mr :apple:

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Possibly, since Apple was to have done that by the start of aught nine.

Can always dream though, right? :eek:
Also, WD already have a Green Power 2TB HD so why would a HD capacity bump be doubtful?

Actually was going to also add that I'd like the possibility of a Blu-Ray drive too.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Touch screen.

NOT on a vertical screen, and not before OS XI.

Can always dream though, right? :eek:
Also, WD already have a Green Power 2TB HD so why would a HD capacity bump be doubtful?

Because Time Capsule would need to be updated, then, as well.

Actually was going to also add that I'd like the possibility of a Blu-Ray drive too.

Like to add, but it isn't happening.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I guess we're about half way to a new iMac release, so what would you like changed or improved in iMac 2010?

Here's my list:

- LED Backlit LCD Panels,
- 30" Model,
- Quad Core Processors,
- Faster Onboard nVidia Graphics,
- >1TB HD Options,
- Updated Mighty Mouse,
- Black keyed / backlit Keyboard,
- Aluminium Build - File the sharp edges.

That's my wishes please Mr :apple:

..plus the moon on a stick! ;)

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk

Thankyou very much, bookmarked!
bmw on a stick...

As for 2010, a 30" iMac is a dream, although a new 30" ACD would be spot on. And I think its about time we shifted from white keys to black on keyboards. I doubt a re-design of the mighty mouse or even a black one for that matter.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
2010 iMac
2 SATA drive bays + SSD options
Lynnfield 65 Watt Nehalem Quad Core procs
LED backlighting on displays.
Latest Nvidia or ATI GPU
SDHC slot
Wireless bluetooth kb/mouse standard
FW3200 Gbps
USB 3.0

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
-Quad-core or Arrandales
-LED backlight
-3 or 4 RAM slots
-Thicker iMac so it could handle desktop GPU and CPU
-New keyboard and Mighty Mouse
-SSD and two HD bays
-eSATA port
-FW3200 and USB 3.0

And of course new design

Attachments

• nexgen-imac-mockup.jpg
    nexgen-imac-mockup.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,866

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
iMacs with dedicated graphics should NOT start at £1,499/$1,799. Sure have some models with integrated, but don't make the price leap between the two ridiculous. This is turning into the old 15" MBP $1,999 vs. $2,499 gap (which they fixed with this revision thank god). Quad-cores and LED backlit would be nice too.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am keeping mine (al iMac mid-2007) until the following occurs, (or I may just go Mac Pro next time):

(1) LED Screen
(2) USB 3.0
(3) Firewire 1600/3200
(4) Quad-Core
(5) SSD Drive
(6) Video Card with 1GB VRAM

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'd really like a small and fast SSD boot drive with a huge HDD for storage (like the Xserve). The performance gains from SSD really do it for me.

Exactly

If you move your Home folder to say a large SATA drive that frees up a lot of space on the boot drive and you could then go with a small but very fast SLC for the boot volume or MLC really since writing speed wouldn't be that critical though durability with a SLC drive would be nice.

Kevin Mosley

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Montgomery, IL
  • Blu-ray superdrive
  • LED or OLED screen. Or soething better than that. Basically a much better contrast ratio.
  • SSD
  • A mouse that I like. I don't like or use the mighty mouse.
  • I like the feel and quality of aluminium but I really want it painted matte black.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
:eek: That is an amazing new concept, I would like that design to come true.
For me the aluminium iMac's are very attractive machines, but I think it's time for a design refresh too.

:eek::apple:

Yea, that's amazing design. I found it on an accident, I was just Googling iMac and found that. Lets hope Steve has also seen that picture :cool:

chewbaccacabra

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
I am keeping mine (al iMac mid-2007) until the following occurs, (or I may just go Mac Pro next time):

(1) LED Screen
(2) USB 3.0
(3) Firewire 1600/3200
(4) Quad-Core
(5) SSD Drive
(6) Video Card with 1GB VRAM

I am with you there. I dont think I would even consider replacing my iMac AL 2.8 from 2007 with another iMac until USB 3.0.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I'd love to have a 30 inch iMac but truly shudder at how expensive it would be.

For all of the above wish lists, we should remember that Apple's business model appears to be to sell oldish hardware in a very shiny box at a very high price.

Hence quad core, blu-ray, usb 3??? I really doubt it.

I bought a 24 incher in Oct 07 and for me the biggest problem is the shortage of USB ports. I find it frankly criminal that Apple only puts three on the machine. Apologists parrot the line that there are two on the keyboard - well that means you use one on the machine, and other than a mouse or a USB drive (if you are lucky) these are always underpowered.

How can it be that the Mini in all but its PPC incarnations has had more USBs than the iMac? I know that the latest iMac has 4, but really given the puny hard drives inside the iMac, there should be at least 6 and really 8. I fail to see how this would be difficult.

Yes I could buy hubs - but given the price of an iMac, why the hell should I?

I could also buy a Mac Pro - but strangely enough dont want to spend £2000+ on a computer which has more power than I would ever need.

I love using OSX but the sheer price that you pay for this privilege sticks in the throat somewhat when you look at the specification of what you are getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.