Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Santa Cruz County
Hiya.

I am interested in becoming a certified expert, both for the professional benefits and to expand my knowledge in an area that I enjoy.

Before jumping right in, I want to see if I can get some opinions and/or testimonials, and some advice. I would really dislike expending the time, effort, and money on something that may not be as interesting as I think it is.

Also, if I can, I would like to prepare myself for the exams, without the training, if possible. In my search for materials on certification I haven't found very much. Apple has a training kit, though I would rather do the hands on training if I go that route.

So, if you are know anything about this, whether it be a warning or a thumbs-up, please share.

Thank you.

maiki

gundamguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2004
I looked into it

I was gonna write an apple cert cause well it would have been nice instead of all the stupid pc certs I have now, however its quite expensive. You have to pay 300 us for the 2 exams to become an Apple certified desktop technican if I remember right, they have a bunch of diff ones you can take for help desk, etc kinda like an MCSE, (one software one hardware like A+).The really crappy part is you have to also buy a kit from Apple that includes the text and probably some online video professor thing and it is around 300-500 us. I don't think you can get manuals from anywhere else but you can write the exam at any comptia cetified testing centre. Some places also do a few day seminar and certify you when your done but I think the ones I saw were like $2,000.Also unless you work for a place that does Apple warranty work you don't really need it. Get an A+ cause mac hardware isnt really all that different aside from the firmware. Get your employer to pay for it. Good Luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.