Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi, how long does the upgrade process take for 3.0 firmware? People who have the GM might know.

Regards,
Shankar

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I'd say anything from 5-10 minutes for me. Maybe more, maybe less, but the wait made it feel like an eternity ;)

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i used the shift-click restore method to upgrade to 3.0 because the guide i went by said to do that and if apple makes you restore like they did with 2.0 then the whole process can take about 3 hours and 10 mins. (depending on the size of your library and if you restore the backup). restoring the backup is the longest part. if you don't restore the backup but instead set it up as a new iPhone or iPod then it will be around 1 hour and 10 mins. (depending on the size of the library, mine takes about an hour to put back on there). so the update doesn't take long, but every thing after the update takes forever but it depends on what apple does this time around.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
i used the shift-click restore method to upgrade to 3.0 because the guide i went by said to do that and if apple makes you restore like they did with 2.0 then the whole process can take about 3 hours and 10 mins. (depending on the size of your library and if you restore the backup). restoring the backup is the longest part. if you don't restore the backup but instead set it up as a new iPhone or iPod then it will be around 1 hour and 10 mins. (depending on the size of the library, mine takes about an hour to put back on there). so the update doesn't take long, but every thing after the update takes forever but it depends on what apple does this time around.

Any side affects?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Any side affects?

no i haven't had any problems. it's just lags a bit and some apps are incompatible because they haven't been updated yet (so far i've found dictionary.com and air sharing.) but there are always a few bugs when it first comes out. last year about a week after 2.0 was 2.0.1 (i think that's what it was called)

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I don't remember 2.0 taking very long at all. Back then, the biggest issue was just releasing the damn thing. :p iPod touch users had to wait for about 12 hours until after the iPhone version was released. These forums were up in flames. :D

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I don't remember 2.0 taking very long at all. Back then, the biggest issue was just releasing the damn thing. :p iPod touch users had to wait for about 12 hours until after the iPhone version was released. These forums were up in flames. :D

2.0 took me a very long time. for some reason when i did it, it restored the backup twice, and it didn't even work. i had to go back through and put all my settings and stuff back in.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
It really didnt take that long a few minutes, maybe. Apple has really come a long way with the process.. i remember back on iphone 2g some updates would take a LONG TIME, and going to 2.0 seemed like forever. 3.0 was VERY VERY seemless and i think that longest part of it was loading the 10GBs of media back onto the phone. Less than 15 minutes i would say. and VERY VERY seemless.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
It took around 5 minutes for me to get my iPod touch up and running when from clicking restore.

maddogeco

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
do i need to move my song back onto my ipod?

when the official version comes out and i pay the 15aussie dollars will i have to re transfer all my apps and song back onto my ipod? or will they all stay where they should be?
the only reason i asked is i deleted the songs off my macbook pro to free up some space.

cheers for your help:)

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
when the official version comes out and i pay the 15aussie dollars will i have to re transfer all my apps and song back onto my ipod? or will they all stay where they should be?
the only reason i asked is i deleted the songs off my macbook pro to free up some space.

You shouldn't need to.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

With 2.0, it backed up EVERYTHING before installation - unlike 'normal' backups where it only backs up things like settings an app information. If it's like 2.0 then it should retain your music and videos...as long as you update it normally (using Check For Updates) instead of using the Shift/Option + Restore method. If you do the latter then it'll literally restore your iPod - you'll have 3.0, but none of your content.

maddogeco

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
With 2.0, it backed up EVERYTHING before installation - unlike 'normal' backups where it only backs up things like settings an app information. If it's like 2.0 then it should retain your music and videos...as long as you update it normally (using Check For Updates) instead of using the Shift/Option + Restore method. If you do the latter then it'll literally restore your iPod - you'll have 3.0, but none of your content.

cheer Ivan P, i think ill do the check for updates method but i may wait and read to see what other poeple say when it goes live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.