Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone version of Documents to Go, the popular document editing application suite for mobile platforms from DataViz, has finally appeared in the App Store. Documents to Go for the iPhone offers the ability to edit, create and view Microsoft Word documents, as well as the ability to view and sync Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, iWork, and other files. Unfortunately, as detailed in a February preview, the ability to create and edit Excel spreadsheets is not included in the initial release. DataViz promises, however, that users will receive a free upgrade for the functionality when it becomes available.

Two versions of the application suite are available at introductory prices: Documents to Go [App Store, $4.99] and Documents to Go with Exchange Attachments [App Store, $9.99]. The Exchange version adds the ability to access Exchange attachments directly within Documents to Go:
For Microsoft Exchange e-mail users, you can now access your attachments right within Documents To Go. E-mail any Word document that you've edited or created in Documents To Go as well any other files you keep handy on your iPhone.

- E-mail with supported attachments are downloaded into Documents To Go.
- Attachments can then be viewed or edited.
- Reply or forward to an existing e-mail with supported attachments.
- Create new e-mail and attach files to send off right away.

Documents to Go is part of an increasing number on business productivity apps making their way to the iPhone platform. Quickoffice, a similar document editing suite priced at $19.99 but already offering some spreadsheet editing capabilities, appeared in the App Store last month.

Article Link: 'Documents to Go' Appears in App Store

xionmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Yah, but the desktop app...?

I bought this right off the bat, but I can't find the coordinating desktop app to sync docs with... Anyone smarter than me on that? :D

veterator

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
Oklahoma
Finally! I loved this on my Palm, finally for the iPhone. Interesting that it works with iWork '08, but not with '05, '06, or '09. I was excited at first, but I have been using Pages more as of late.

Yoda3984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
I bought this right off the bat, but I can't find the coordinating desktop app to sync docs with... Anyone smarter than me on that? :D

Go through the whole registration process on DataViz's website. Your registration number is under "About Documents to Go" in the app. After that, they should just give you a link to it. Not sure if registration is necessary, but that was the only way I could find it.

All in all, I really like this app. No Excel editing is a downer, but I the desktop app makes the wait worth it in my opinion. I always like Docs2Go on my Treo, so this was a no-brainer for me.

xionmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Go through the whole registration process on DataViz's website. Your registration number is under "About Documents to Go" in the app. After that, they should just give you a link to it. Not sure if registration is necessary, but that was the only way I could find it.

All in all, I really like this app. No Excel editing is a downer, but I the desktop app makes the wait worth it in my opinion. I always like Docs2Go on my Treo, so this was a no-brainer for me.

The excel editing is coming as a free update, according to DataViz. Thanks for the info, I'm checking it out now!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Finally! I loved this on my Palm, finally for the iPhone. Interesting that it works with iWork '08, but not with '05, '06, or '09. I was excited at first, but I have been using Pages more as of late.

I don't know about the older iWorks butit seems that there is a major difference in the format to iWork 09. There is not one application inthe store that can read it. Though there are many that can read iWork 08. Interestingly, the iDisk app coming with 3.0 can. Is Apple blocking others from creating an iWork compatible app because they will eventually release one?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This app doesn't display non-alphabet characters. Very disappointed, as most of my work involves reading/writing Japanese, making this app useless for me. QuickOffice displays, but doesn't let me enter, Japanese. *sigh*

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Slowly but surely they are making this phone do everything. I can't wait to see what kind of updates this app gets. I am kinda surprised Microsoft didn't try and make an office app. I know they are competition, but office is on a mac anyway. Why not take a little more money?

mobius42

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Can the regular non-Exchange version still email attachments using non-Exchange based email? I've been looking for an app that stores files but also allows me to email them to people.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Why do none of these Apps let you edit iWork documents, only Microsoft Office?

Is it because of licensing restrictions by :apple:, or the way that iWork files are constructed?

It isn't as though Apple seems to be in a rush to create their own Apps to add functionality in a hurry.

the iPhone is a Apple product for God's sake, it sould intergate better!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why do none of these Apps let you edit iWork documents, only Microsoft Office?

Is it because of licensing restrictions by :apple:, or the way that iWork files are constructed?

In a nutshell, Apple.

I love DTG on my BB, but dunno if I'd need it for my iPhone. Airshare has suited me fine.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Is this only for business users with corporate Exchange accounts?
For example, I'm a college student and I don't even know what Microsoft "Exchange" even is.
So this means that I will not be able to use this App, right?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I this only for business users with corporate Exchange accounts?
For example, I'm a college student and I don't even know what Microsoft "Exchange" even is.
So this means that I will not be able to use this App, right?
There's a version without exchange support that lets you edit word docs and view ppt and excel files. Get that one. It's cheaper too.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Is it possible to email documents with the "light" version ?
I have the app and it looks like it can´t ...
with 3.0 I guess I´ll just copy paste the dosuments and paste the into email then but it seems kinda pointless to have the documents on the go if I can´t get them of the phone doesn´t it ? I´d still have to take my laptop to sync and email the files ?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
In a nutshell, Apple.

I love DTG on my BB, but dunno if I'd need it for my iPhone. Airshare has suited me fine.

That may be because Apple may be developing their own iWork app. My guess is that it won't come around 'till next year when OS 4.0 and there is an API with better integration between apps such as downloading attachments or printing from your iPhone. It may be the best solution considering that it can support Office formats as well.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Is it possible to email documents with the "light" version ? I have the app and it looks like it can´t ...
with 3.0 I guess I´ll just copy paste the dosuments and paste the into email then but it seems kinda pointless to have the documents on the go if I can´t get them of the phone doesn´t it ? I´d still have to take my laptop to sync and email the files ?
It seems like the iPhone should have a "My Documents" folder by now, where we can store Word documents. I am seriously VERY surprised that the iPhone does not have a folder yet where we can store files.

OS 4.0 and there is an API with better integration between apps such as downloading attachments or printing from your iPhone.
Being able to print a document directly from my iPhone would be awesome!
...but how much would you really use it? If I'm at home, I'm probably going to use my computer. Printing from my iPhone would be most useful when I am using someone else's printer ... but in that situation, I would have to connect to their network and find their printer and so forth. By then, I could just pull a flashdrive out of my pocket and plug it into their computer. Some things sound great until you think more and realize you probably wouldn't use it that much. But who knows ... maybe we will.
One way or another, we need a folder to download and store attachments from emails onto the iPhone.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
It seems like the iPhone should have a "My Documents" folder by now, where we can store Word documents. I am seriously VERY surprised that the iPhone does not have a folder yet where we can store files.Being able to print a document directly from my iPhone would be awesome!
...but how much would you really use it? If I'm at home, I'm probably going to use my computer. Printing from my iPhone would be most useful when I am using someone else's printer ... but in that situation, I would have to connect to their network and find their printer and so forth. By then, I could just pull a flashdrive out of my pocket and plug it into their computer. Some things sound great until you think more and realize you probably wouldn't use it that much. But who knows ... maybe we will.
One way or another, we need a folder to download and store attachments from emails onto the iPhone.

It would not be the most used way of printing but I would be print a lot lot through it. It is way too much a pain to print a photo from your iPhone. You'd have to connect your iPhone, launch iPhoto, move the files over and then print. Giving the iPhone direct access to the printer cuts out a few steps. When printing docs, I almost always keep them on my iDisk and it's easier to print from my iPhone which I always have instead of having to open up my laptop or sit down at my iMac.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

With MobileMe integration, it could be possible to print to your home printer from wherever you are. That would be pretty sweet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It would not be the most used way of printing but I would be print a lot lot through it. It is way too much a pain to print a photo from your iPhone. You'd have to connect your iPhone, launch iPhoto, move the files over and then print. Giving the iPhone direct access to the printer cuts out a few steps. When printing docs, I almost always keep them on my iDisk and it's easier to print from my iPhone which I always have instead of having to open up my laptop or sit down at my iMac.

Have you tried the Print & Share app?

autograf

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Quickoffice

I downloaded Quickoffice. It works seamlessly with MobileMe's Idisk. Really nicely. While I was confused if they do or if they don't allow updating a document from an email be aware that they DO NOT CURRENTLY but it is planned. Hopefully soon. There are some other bugs or aesthetic issues but it's a great app. VERY pricey at $19.95 though. $9.95 would be a better sell but they gotta make money I guess.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Have you tried the Print & Share app?

I'll try it Print & Share. I bought Docs to Go even though I had Quickoffice just because of how much I like it on my Treo. While I think the interface is great, the app is shockingly bad. It looks as if they put no effort into it! Android has fewer sales and less people willing to buy apps but it still has more features. I can even do something as simple as pinch with a .doc. They should feel embarrassed by this offering. I really didn't care if the app would have cost $30 or even $60 if it had all the features it should have. There's not even a way to get it off your computer when you're away from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.