Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
What's with all the hate for AT&T? Are other people just mad they're locked into carriers with no iPhone? Or are there some hidden rates I'm not seeing?

My Verizon contract expired last month and I was trying to convince myself to stick with them, but it just isn't happening. I always heard all kinds of rumors / myths about AT&T that I'm finding to be false the more I look through plans on their web site.

1.) AT&T has bad service: Nope! According to what I've read here their service is every bit as good as Verizon. I know several people with Verizon who can't talk on the phone in certain areas because they drop calls constantly -- and this is just outside of a major city (philadelphia).

2.) Their voice plans cost more: Nope! At least not according to each carrier's web site, which say their plans are essentially identical.

3.) AT&T data costs more: Nope again! They're the same $30 / month, and if AT&T follows through with the $10 cut they'll be cheaper. It looks like PDA / smartphone unlimited data on Verizon is actually $50 / month....

Any device Verizon sells that's 'comparable' to an iPhone also costs the same or $100-$200 more, yet none of them really have 'comparable' features other than being the same shape w/ a touch screen. And with an iPhone you don't need an unlimited text plan either :p

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
What's with all the hate for AT&T? Are other people 1.) AT&T has bad service: Nope! According to what I've read here their service is every bit as good as Verizon. I know several people with Verizon who can't talk on the phone in certain areas because they drop calls constantly -- and this is just outside of a major city (philadelphia).
As a former VZ customer, I find their support to be better than Verizon.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Service is entirely subjective for where you are in the world and where you use your phone most.

For some people Verizon is awesome and AT&T sucks. For others it is the opposite. In some cases they get good coverage on both.

The only thing you can be sure of is that Sprint will probably suck. (I kid)...

But whenever someone says, XYZ's network sucks... it is ignorant, because they all have their strong and weak points.

If you are a first time AT&T customer I think the return on the iPhone is only like 15 days, so be aware of that. Should be enough time though to find out if AT&T's network works for you.

I switched from Verizon a couple of years before the iPhone because I could not get a decent signal in my house. I had to stand outside to talk to people on my phone. AT&T has been great for me though. That doesn't mean the guy in Colorado will have the same experience.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I agree with you for the most part.

I was on Verizon before moving to ATT for the iPhone. I found that in some location ATT was better and in others Verizon was better. I really depends on the location.

As far as cost. Do not forget about ATT roll-over. This in some cases allows you to get a cheaper plan.

As far as not getting a unlimited data plan with the iPhone. I have also heard of this but I could not imagine the iPhone without an unlimited data plan. You are using data pretty much all the time.

You did not mention SMS Text. Before the iPhone I never used Text Messages. After the iPhone I use them all the time. Not sure the cost is the same on both.

Konz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
As far as not getting a unlimited data plan with the iPhone. I have also heard of this but I could not imagine the iPhone without an unlimited data plan. You are using data pretty much all the time.
As far as I know data is the same rate on both carriers. Verizon may be more expensive but their web site isn't really easy to navigate or understand... I tried using the Omnia to price a data plan and all I could find for it was the $50/month PDA/smartphone plan.

You did not mention SMS Text. Before the iPhone I never used Text Messages. After the iPhone I use them all the time. Not sure the cost is the same on both.
I don't think a text plan is really necessary with the iPhone. You can use the app TextFree or AIM w/push and I guess pay $5/month for incoming messages.... although they said soon your friends will be able to initiate text conversations with you through that app, so a text plan will be completely unnecessary.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I agree with you for the most part.

I was on Verizon before moving to ATT for the iPhone. I found that in some location ATT was better and in others Verizon was better. I really depends on the location.

As far as cost. Do not forget about ATT roll-over. This in some cases allows you to get a cheaper plan.

Agreed. I have a signal in places Verizon users don't and vice-versa. Also, I have 4,000 rollover minutes and never get close to ever using any of them. But from what I can tell, the costs are similar on every carrier. My wife and I both have iPhones and my inlaws have smartphones on Verizon and our cell bills are almost identical (they have a larger call package). But my wife hears via a cochlear implant, so the unlimited text plan is a MUST!

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008

Yep! The only people who don't really use data are people who get it for fashion's sake. They make me sick! Wasting a valuable :apple: product like that! :D

But anyway, I personally haven't had a great experience with AT&T. I'e been through some customer service difficulties and frequent outages. However, everywhere within about a 100 mile radius of my home is 3G covered. TBH, Verizon has EVDO there too. I still don't really like AT&T but I know that other people have had good :eek: (jk) experiences with them so I don't say that they are bad. Sprint service was pretty good, Verizon's was great, and AT&T's is amazing when it works.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I've been with at&t since they were at&t then cingular and back to at&t I can not complain at all about the service or my bill. I love the roll over minutes. I will never go over :). You can not please everybody, this will always be the case.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I don't get the bias either, unless the complainer can't get a cellphone signal in their house, business, etc.

I have yet to find anyone on any network with unlimited data and text that pays less than what I pay at AT&T.

But what do I know? I am not scared of signing cell phone contracts. I can't believe people pay $400 for last year's phone just to use it on T-Mobile with disabled features.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I've been with at&t since they were at&t then cingular and back to at&t I can not complain at all about the service or my bill. I love the roll over minutes. I will never go over :). You can not please everybody, this will always be the case.

+1

been with them for over 10 years

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
From what I gather, AT&T and Verizon on average are pretty equal. All of this depends on where you live and the different people you deal with. My aunt & uncle had two separate lines with Verizon for who knows how long when they could've saved with a family plan. My AT&T coverage is excellent here, but this is where BellSouth used to be HQed. I see out west that there are a lot of sparse areas.

I also really think any carrier would've had the problems AT&T did had they taken on the iPhone. It just overtook the smartphone market in terms of data usage, so it doesn't surprise me that AT&T's has been taxed so much. iPhones still use a lot more data per phone than any BlackBerry or other smartphone.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I understand why people hate ATT. They are a CellCo after all. What's to like?

What I don't understand is why there is so much love for Verizon. From some of the posts you think they were a consumer's dream. Personally, I've not found that to be the case. It seems maybe people like Verizon because the grass is always greener on the otherside. If you take off your tinted glasses its brown.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
1.) AT&T has bad service: Nope! According to what I've read here their service is every bit as good as Verizon. I know several people with Verizon who can't talk on the phone in certain areas because they drop calls constantly -- and this is just outside of a major city (philadelphia).

You obviously haven't read this: AT&T SUCKS. If AT&T has the same service as Verizon, why is everyone complaining about poor service on the iPhone all over the US while people on Verizon generally praise their carrier's service?

2.) Their voice plans cost more: Nope! At least not according to each carrier's web site, which say their plans are essentially identical.

Why don't you compare that to Sprint, where data and text messaging is included in the voice plan on devices like the Palm Pre and Samsung Instinct?

3.) AT&T data costs more: Nope again! They're the same $30 / month, and if AT&T follows through with the $10 cut they'll be cheaper. It looks like PDA / smartphone unlimited data on Verizon is actually $50 / month....

Did you even bother researching anything? For PDA/Smartphone and Blackberry plans on Verizon, voice & data plans cost the same as AT&T's smartphone subscriptions. These cost even less on T-Mobile and Sprint. It costs $150 for unlimited voice, data, and messaging on Verizon and AT&T but only $100 on Sprint and $135 (at least on Blackberries) on T-Mobile.

And with an iPhone you don't need an unlimited text plan either :p

No carrier requires a texting plan...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
There is always a "grass is always greener on the other side" aspect to cellular service in the US. I've had AT&T and Verizon at one time or another and longed for the other. The business model in the US done NOT favor the customer. We get cheap/subsidized/often "free" phones, but are locked into contracts. Elsewhere you pay full price, but are able change plans on a whim. Customer service often gets better when you are able to walk away.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
You obviously haven't read this: AT&T SUCKS. If AT&T has the same service as Verizon, why is everyone complaining about poor service on the iPhone all over the US while people on Verizon generally praise their carrier's service?

Why don't you compare that to Sprint, where data and text messaging is included in the voice plan on devices like the Palm Pre and Samsung Instinct?

Did you even bother researching anything? For PDA/Smartphone and Blackberry plans on Verizon, voice & data plans cost the same as AT&T's smartphone subscriptions. These cost even less on T-Mobile and Sprint. It costs $150 for unlimited voice, data, and messaging on Verizon and AT&T but only $100 on Sprint and $135 (at least on Blackberries) on T-Mobile.

And don't you think Sprint's $100 unlimited everything plan is an, I dunno, last ditch effort to prevent them from going out of business? They aren't exactly gaining customers are they? And thank God, I am so glad I no longer hear that d-amn Nextel beeping two way talk noise everywhere now, I only hear the clicking of iPhone texting. :cool:

The market will dictate who succeeds. You hate AT&T? Don't get an iPhone.

thecellar

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
i have had verizon and att within the last year, I live in upstate ny and the service is pretty much the same everywhere i have been. i travel around the northeast quite a bit. As far as billing, my plans were exactly the same base rate, although verizon does discount data plans and voice for employee discounts, so for vzw it was a little cheaper.

but came back to att for iphone....

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
And don't you think Sprint's $100 unlimited everything plan is an, I dunno, last ditch effort to prevent them from going out of business? They aren't exactly gaining customers are they? And thank God, I am so glad I no longer hear that d-amn Nextel beeping two way talk noise everywhere now, I only hear the clicking of iPhone texting. :cool:

The market will dictate who succeeds. You hate AT&T? Don't get an iPhone.

But Sprint has the NOW network! (What the heck is that?)

I seriously don't know a single person with a Sprint phone. I know people with every other service provider on the planet, but nobody with Sprint.

People don't rave on here about how much they love AT&T because nobody really loves their wireless carrier. I have no problems with AT&T aside from the lack of data plan choice and the god-awful charges for text messages, but that's pretty much a thing everywhere in the US. They offer the iPhone, nobody else does. I have had maybe two or three problems in about six years, and I have never felt shafted or unsatisfied with their support. In fact, they took a charge off for a game someone downloaded and didn't use. I'm not going to go all mush on them, but they've been decent to me.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Good post. I'm the last one to kiss AT&T or anyone else's butt, but I'm so tired of hearing people say things like "the iPhone would be SOO much better on Verizon, ______, etc."

It's subjective. The companies are so similar in so many ways, and they ALL have their caveats. Pick your poison, choose the phone you want, and **** already.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
But Sprint has the NOW network! (What the heck is that?)

I seriously don't know a single person with a Sprint phone. I know people with every other service provider on the planet, but nobody with Sprint.

People don't rave on here about how much they love AT&T because nobody really loves their wireless carrier. I have no problems with AT&T aside from the lack of data plan choice and the god-awful charges for text messages, but that's pretty much a thing everywhere in the US. They offer the iPhone, nobody else does. I have had maybe two or three problems in about six years, and I have never felt shafted or unsatisfied with their support. In fact, they took a charge off for a game someone downloaded and didn't use. I'm not going to go all mush on them, but they've been decent to me.

Agree with every point. I wouldn't be in love with any of them. If anything, I say I admire Sprint because there is no nickel and diming, just unlimited everything. I would rather AT&T come out and say MMS, tethering, minutes, texting, everything you want, as much as you want, $150. Would I pay it? No, but I would appreciate the straight up offer instead of going the nickel and dime route like the airlines. It make no sense to sell me a $99 plane ticket and then charge me $50 for 2 bags and $25 for an aisle seat, and $5 for a coke. Just charge me $179 to begin with!!!

Konz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Look everyone, here's one of the haters now!!
"AT&T SUCKS" Wow, you make a very convincing argument.... simply brilliant!

I have Verizon and was sitting on an open deck in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia (no skyscrapers around) the other night with NO service whatsoever. How's that for praise?
I've never known anyone who had Sprint service, and I've never heard anything about their coverage.

For all I know they could have crap for coverage and the slowest data transfer on the planet...
Again, I've never heard anything about the quality of Sprint service. That could be a good or bad sign...

That's not the point, the point is that with an iPhone you can send unlimited texts for free.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Wife was paying for an outrageous plan on Sprint and the only way she could change was to extend her contract two years.

I've got a story on every carrier.

Anyway... I think ATT has done a pretty good job serving all those data hungry iPhones.

I rarely ever have dropped calls. I think when you have to deal with any of these big service comapnies you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt. What I'd like to see on ATT is improved in building coverage and expanded 3G at least on all interstates. And of course get moving up the 3G upgrade and stop restricting our uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.