Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Question Real-Time "Find my iPhone"?

I did a search but couldn't find my answer. Does anyone know if the "Find my iPhone" feature offers live updating or is it a "snapshot" of where that phone is at that time?

On a couple occasions, some city streets are closed for events and the GPS in the car is not helpful in those situations. If my wife calls me needing directions, will I be able to see her location in real-time or will I have to constantly update that page?
bobsentell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
jaw04005
macrumors 601

It's not designed for real-time tracking. I would imagine you would have to keep refreshing the page. For it to be real-time, it would need a constant connection to Apple's location servers, which it doesn't do for obvious reasons (design, battery life, performance, etc).
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
It's not designed for real-time tracking. I would imagine you would have to keep refreshing the page. For it to be real-time, it would need a constant connection to Apple's location servers, which it doesn't do for obvious reasons (design, battery life, performance, etc).
That's what I thought, but obviously the "Find..." service has a way to turn on the GPS remotely. I highly doubt Apple will keep it on by default.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
That's what I thought, but obviously the "Find..." service has a way to turn on the GPS remotely. I highly doubt Apple will keep it on by default.
Find My iPhone uses the location services that are already configured and turned on by default in firmware 3.0.

A thief could easily disable location services in the iPhone's general settings tab, and the service wouldn't work.

It doesn't turn any feature on remotely.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:43 PM   #5
The General
Banned

Quote:
I'm fairly certain it doesn't use GPS, just cell tower triangulation and skyhook. It never gives you a dot, only a circle with not such great accuracy.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I'm fairly certain it doesn't use GPS, just cell tower triangulation and skyhook. It never gives you a dot, only a circle with not such great accuracy.
So this would even work with the 2G? Other than giving me a general idea (left it at dad's, in-laws, etc) I fail to see the point of giving me a 10-mile radius.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I did a search but couldn't find my answer. Does anyone know if the "Find my iPhone" feature offers live updating or is it a "snapshot" of where that phone is at that time?
As mentioned, it's not only not live, but you need to keep logging into me.com every 15 minutes to access that area of it. At best, you can get an update every couple of minutes, since it "refines" the location for over a minute, at least as far as I can tell, every time you ask it (or at least nearly every time).
Quote:
That might be for privacy reasons. I've seen a circle with a radius that couldn't have been much more than 100', if that. I think, if there's a GPS, it uses it. But I could be wrong.
jsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:52 PM   #8
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
So this would even work with the 2G? Other than giving me a general idea (left it at dad's, in-laws, etc) I fail to see the point of giving me a 10-mile radius.
You just described the main point of the service. It'll get you to at least the block. In my case, the circle is around roughly three homes in my neighborhood.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/whats-new/
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:53 PM   #9
The General
Banned

Quote:
It's not a 10 mile radius. You don't give triangulation enough credit. This is a screenshot of mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	97
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	176253  
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:57 PM   #10
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's not a 10 mile radius. You don't give triangulation enough credit. This is a screenshot of mine:
I don't live in a large metro area. On my wife's 2G, google maps gives us a 10-mile radius, since there is only one tower in the area.

I found: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/whats-new/

It does use the towers. Unfortunately, won't help mush as neither my parents nor my in-laws have that great an AT&T (or anything for that matter) signal.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:57 PM   #11
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Looks like the OP wants FamilyMap. I think it's compatible with the iPhone, and it'll support all your stalking needs.

https://familymap.wireless.att.com/f...y/howWorks.htm
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:59 PM   #12
skwoytek
macrumors 6502a

Find my iPhone is precise enough to let you realize that you left your phone at a restaurant or at a friends. It is not precise enough to find the guy that stole your iPhone and kick in his door. It's not designed to be a tracking device so you can't put it in your spouses car and track them.
skwoytek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:01 PM   #13
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
Looks like the OP wants FamilyMap. I think it's compatible with the iPhone, and it'll support all your stalking needs.

https://familymap.wireless.att.com/f...y/howWorks.htm
I saw that, and I think I'll get it when my kids get a lot older.

But I'm really just asking for the purposes of emergencies. Since we don't have OnStar, I figure this could serve a similar purpose since it's built in. Oh well. Thanks for your help though.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:08 PM   #14
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwoytek View Post
Find my iPhone is precise enough to let you realize that you left your phone at a restaurant or at a friends. It is not precise enough to find the guy that stole your iPhone and kick in his door. It's not designed to be a tracking device so you can't put it in your spouses car and track them.
I have no intention of tracking my wife. In fact, I can't get her to stop texting me with her every location. Thank God for unlimited text plans.

Was watching an episode of L&O and the question just popped in my head. I appreciate everyone's help.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone