Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:37 AM   #1
tbluhp
macrumors 6502a

PPC Version of Google's Chrome?

Why only working on intel what about us PPC users who cant afford intel upgrade?
tbluhp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
V8, Google's javascript engine, only works on 32 bit x86. Unlike almost all other software, JIT compilers do require large amounts of work to port to new architectures. I suspect the V8 team is busy working on performance improvements and porting to 64 bit.

(The approach Apple took when faced with this problem was a hybrid; Safari 4 works on PPC, but it doesn't get a lot of the speedups)
Catfish_Man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:51 AM   #3
turkay
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to turkay
I guess Google has no intention about releasing a PPC compatible browser in the future. They already are too lazy for an Intel version.
turkay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:04 AM   #4
MacAndy74
macrumors 65816

Might as well face it, sadly. Google and probably many more companies; in the near future are going to start abandoning the PPC platform.
Waiting for 2010 iMac
MacAndy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluhp View Post
Why only working on intel what about us PPC users who cant afford intel upgrade?
Begin to afford it. PowerPC is dead.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:14 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
Begin to afford it. PowerPC is dead.
That may be easy for you to say. You may be a boy living at home fully supported by his parents and the OP may be out in the real world where other things must take priority over buying an intel mac. You may be out on your own able to afford such luxuries and still the OP cannot. Your answer is inappropriate and unhelpful to be quiet frank. While it is somewhat honest and should be obvious to the OP, it's unnecessary coming from you.

That said, OP, unfortunately many are in your boat. Some who bought a PPC mac 4 years ago are finding it impossible to plunk down the funds to get what they need/want today to be able to go to the next level of OSs. However, the good news is that while Google Chrome may not support PPC, there are many other alternatives that work wonderfully still supporting the PPC platform. There is really no reason to support a dying platform, unfortunately. I have a PPC mac as well that is quickly becoming (if not already) a paperweight.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:48 AM   #7
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Yes, it is frustrating. No Chrome, Crisis, Star Wars Battlefront II, Snow Leopard, VM Fusion, Crossover. It is terrible.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
MacAndy74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
Yes, it is frustrating. No Chrome, Crisis, Star Wars Battlefront II, Snow Leopard, VM Fusion, Crossover. It is terrible.
Time to stimulate the economy, and make richer - buy a new Mac.
Waiting for 2010 iMac
MacAndy74 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
That may be easy for you to say. You may be a boy living at home fully supported by his parents and the OP may be out in the real world where other things must take priority over buying an intel mac. You may be out on your own able to afford such luxuries and still the OP cannot. Your answer is inappropriate and unhelpful to be quiet frank. While it is somewhat honest and should be obvious to the OP, it's unnecessary coming from you.

That said, OP, unfortunately many are in your boat. Some who bought a PPC mac 4 years ago are finding it impossible to plunk down the funds to get what they need/want today to be able to go to the next level of OSs. However, the good news is that while Google Chrome may not support PPC, there are many other alternatives that work wonderfully still supporting the PPC platform. There is really no reason to support a dying platform, unfortunately. I have a PPC mac as well that is quickly becoming (if not already) a paperweight.
If you're out in the "real world" and it's hard to accumulate funds in general, the last thing you need to worry about is a computer program.

Also, standard upgrades in the computer industry is four years. Does that mean your four year old PPC won't work because Snow Leopard won't support it? Nope. It will still run as it did when you bought it.

As you said, there is no reason to support a dying platform. It's not like Google Chrome is best thing ever.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:45 AM   #10
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

You know folks

If you can't afford a new computer then that's unfortunate but realize that Google and other companies are "just" as concerned about their finances as well and if the costs of support a 4 year old architecture are too high they're going to forgo on doing the work.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:21 PM   #11
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
If you're out in the "real world" and it's hard to accumulate funds in general, the last thing you need to worry about is a computer program.

Also, standard upgrades in the computer industry is four years. Does that mean your four year old PPC won't work because Snow Leopard won't support it? Nope. It will still run as it did when you bought it.

As you said, there is no reason to support a dying platform. It's not like Google Chrome is best thing ever.
i realize this tread hasnt seen a post in almost 3 years but i just bout my second mac a few days ago a eMac when i had my iMac G3 running years ago it was when Panther was out at that time i had no problems at all finding programs but now that i got my emac for 40 bucks and since Apple decided to leave PowerPC in the dark i have found it is hard to find any programs i have not used Firefox since Version 3 which happens to be the last version supported on PPC macs. But i just wanted to point out thr four year span of buying a computer is ******** generaly you are damn lucky if your computer even LIVES that long every computer i ever bought in a store only lasted a year, two if lucky, before the motherboards failed. the oldest still fully function computer i have is a Pentium 4 socket 478 over 5 years old. way i see it if you are lucky enough to have a computer last why buy a new one in four years time? all you have to do is upgrade the computer you currently have. this Pentium 4 system i have upgraded the sound RAM graphics Hard Drive and even the CPU it did have a 2.66GHz Celeron D when i got it i upgraded it to a faster Pentium 4 2.80GHz most of my computer were garage sale finds some i bought in the store some online i dont see the need to upgrade all the time i LOVE my eMac so what if PowerPC has been left in the dust there is two bonuses 1 it is still just as usable as PPC G4s were when they came out you just have to surch harder to find programs. and 2 Ubuntu has a current build of every OS for 8.04 to 12.04 although 11.04 is the last the works on the eMac. PowerPC users my have been forgotten but i have NEVER owned a new Mac my 1st mac a iMac G3 Rev D tray load was a garage sale find and i paid like 20 bucks for it back in 2005 or so with Computers yea being so cheap its easy to just buy a new one but when it comes to a overpriced Mac you cant just buy a new one i sure as hell not gonna pay $2400 for a Mac Pro when i and Build a computer for 100 or buy one in the store for 300 and hackintosh it.
LeoTheLion89 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:54 AM   #12
old-wiz
macrumors 604

I have several Macs, going back as far as 2005, and all of them still work fine. None have had any hardware issues and only one had a software problem that required re-install of OSx.

agh. just noticed the thread is from 2009. sheesh.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #13
LeoTheLion89
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via MSN to LeoTheLion89 Send a message via Yahoo to LeoTheLion89
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
I have several Macs, going back as far as 2005, and all of them still work fine. None have had any hardware issues and only one had a software problem that required re-install of OSx.

agh. just noticed the thread is from 2009. sheesh.
i was refering to the lifespan of Windows or as i call them "shitdows" computers i cant speak for Macs as ive only owned two and both where used as of how heavy of use i dont know this eMac cam from a school so im assuming it had pretty heavy use although the fan has practically no dust buildup at all
LeoTheLion89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store