Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that ARM will be delivering multi-core ARM chips in 2010, making multi-core iPhones and other smart phones possible.
"You'll definitely see handsets shipping with a dual-core A9 in 2010," James Bruce, wireless segment manager for ARM, said in a phone interview earlier this week, referring to the next-generation Cortex-A9 processor from ARM.
The iPhone currently is believed to use the ARM Cortex A8 processor. While still a notable improvement over the previous generation ARM chips, it remains a single core device. The move to dual-core ARM chips is expected to happen "relatively quickly" and should be seen in about a year.

An ARM representative reassured CNet that the dual-core ARM A9 is actually more power efficient than the A8.
"What we've done on the A9 is actually make it more power efficient than the A8. The dual-core A9 will be coming out on 45-nanometer rather than the (current) 65-nanometer process," Bruce said. Generally, the smaller the geometries, the faster and more power-efficient the processor is.
Bruce continued. "With the dual-core running at maximum load there's probably going to be an increase of about 10 to 20 percent in power consumption but in general day to day use you're actually going to see better battery life."

Article Link: Multi-Core ARM (iPhone) Chips Due in 2010

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
See! All you who got pissy about the upgrade price, can now happily wait until your time comes and buy a faster iPhone next year. But then everyone who purchased the 3GS now will get pissy because THEY won't get the new phone cheaper next year. Oh well . Round and round we spin. :mad:

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Didn't that one guy make a post saying that the next iPhone, as in next year, would be the one with the jaw-dropping upgrades? I think this fits the bill.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
now this is why i sold my 2g and 3g and stuck with a blackberry bold. :D

The bold is alright, but any blackberry is still a royal pain to sync with a mac. RIM should get on it and make their own software for that.

Yes I have used pocketsync when I had my 8900, but still was a pain. There is nothing better than an iPhone and MobileMe.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, this is great for those crying about having to pay the unsubsidized price for the 3GS. They can wait another year for dual core.

I will be paying the unsubsidized price for that model but you won't hear me complain.

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
When this happens will Apple start bragging about specs? or will they do what they're doing with the 3G?

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The next iPhone isn't going to have multi-core processors, because the 3gS was being tested back in Oct/Nov 2008. And with the multi core coming out in 2010 that won't be enough time to test it. I'm guessing they will start testing the next iPhone later this year.

SatanLover

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
everybody that bought a first generation iphone and skipped the 3g to get a 3gs is going to cry when the 4th generation iphone comes out. 3g was a big upgrade to the first generation. 3gs isn't as big of an upgrade to the 3g

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps this is reflective of how much time I spend on these boards but I am somewhat saddened knowing that it's only a matter of time before we see 1) "The 'Unofficial' I'm Waiting For A Multi-Core iPhone Thread" and 2) An unnecessary number of threads about how outraged people are that Apple is going to make their brand new 3G S phone obsolete and they'll have to pay full price just to get the latest piece of tech.

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
Yeah, this is great for those crying about having to pay the unsubsidized price for the 3GS. They can wait another year for dual core.

I will be paying the unsubsidized price for that model but you won't hear me complain.

+1, this is when i will go back to the iphone.

The bold is alright, but any blackberry is still a royal pain to sync with a mac. RIM should get on it and make their own software for that.

Yes I have used pocketsync when I had my 8900, but still was a pain. There is nothing better than an iPhone and MobileMe.

i agree, i have a mac and a pc, i used my pc for my blackberry and my mac for the iphone that i used to have.
i never liked mobile me it always erased my data and contacts and so on.

Lenxal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
everybody that bought a first generation iphone and skipped the 3g to get a 3gs is going to cry when the 4th generation iphone comes out. 3g was a big upgrade to the first generation. 3gs isn't as big of an upgrade to the 3g

No, the 3gs is a big upgrade from the 3g.
3g just added 3g, gps, plastic covering, and little other stuff while 3gs brought a lot more.
just because they look the same doesn't mean it is the same.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
The next iPhone isn't going to have multi-core processors, because the 3gS was being tested back in Oct/Nov 2008. And with the multi core coming out in 2010 that won't be enough time to test it. I'm guessing they will start testing the next iPhone later this year.

Or maybe bump back the release from July to Sept/Oct in order to accomodate the supposed timetable for these? Maybe we'll see a refresh in March or so to 32gb/64gb capacities (is that reasonable? I don't know where these chips are in terms of price/avail.) and then a proper refresh after the summer.

kyleb822

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
and this is exactly why I didn't upgrade to a 3GS and stuck with my 3G, the update in 2010 will be huge compared to the one this year from the 3G to the 3GS

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
+1, this is when i will go back to the iphone.

i agree, i have a mac and a pc, i used my pc for my blackberry and my mac for the iphone that i used to have.
i never liked mobile me it always erased my data and contacts and so on.

hmmm... well it will erase them if you don't have them on your computer. it does give you a warning on your phone before you sync it for the first time saying it will erase what is on your phone and replace it with what is "in the coulds" so to speak...

sync your phone with your comp, your comp with MobileMe, and then your mobile me with your phone... it works well for me! I used to have to plug my phone into the comp everytime i wanted my calander to sync and it was annoying. some days i don't sit down at the comp... i just like the push calander (among lots of other features)

anyways to keep on topic I hope the model after the 3Gs has dual core...

Lenxal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
and this is exactly why I didn't upgrade to a 3GS and stuck with my 3G, the update in 2010 will be huge compared to the one this year from the 3G to the 3GS

Haha, and then people can say thats why they didn't upgrade to the 2010 iphone because the 2011 will be een bigger than the 2010.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
No, the 3gs is a big upgrade from the 3g.
3g just added 3g, gps, plastic covering, and little other stuff while 3gs brought a lot more.
just because they look the same doesn't mean it is the same.

I guess it depends on what you use your phone for. If you've been looking for video editing the 3G S is HUGE! However, if you wanted a convergence device to get rid of the GPS in your car then the 3G was also HUGE (bad example because of the GPS improvements in 3G S, but hopefully my point is somewhat clear).
As much as I want a better camera and video, for now I can tolerate not trying to upgrade my 3G to a 3G s (for now, that may change when I see people using the cool features) but that's just me... I'm sure there are tons of people who deperately want to upgrade to the 3G S from their 3G just as there were from the original to the 3G

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Maybe we'll see a refresh in March or so to 32gb/64gb capacities (is that reasonable? I don't know where these chips are in terms of price/avail.) and then a proper refresh after the summer.
Personally, I don't recall Apple doing a refresh or capacity bump before WWDC. However, there's a first time for everything.

labrats5

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah.....

I don't believe this for a second. I remember them saying that cortex-A8 phones would be coming out end of 2007, then mid 2008. Now It is mid 2009 and we have exactly 1 cortex-A8 phone on the market (the palm pre) with the iphone about to follow. next-gen ARM phones never deliver on time. They can't, because there are too many people involved. There is ARM itself, which designs the core. Then there is TI, Samsung and many others who then build an actual SOC around the core, which in itself is dependent on many other factors. Then there are the device manufacturers who need to integrate these cores into their products. And this isn't exactly a drop-in die replacement we're talking about: these smartphones are herculean efforts of engineering.

No silicon vendor is sampling cortex-A9 chips, not even in limited quantities. It takes roughly a year from sampling to an actual svelte smartphone. I would say that 2011 is optimistic, 2010 unrealistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.