Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venuslight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
Hello,

I've looked through the forums, but can't find any info on this. I apologize if I've posted this in the incorrect forum.

I currently have an iPod Touch with several apps that I have purchased. This device syncs to my MacBook Pro. I would like to be able to activate these on my new iPhone 3G S. More than anything, I have an app on my iPod Touch that is no longer available in the App Store. This app is still listed under my Applications in my iTunes.

My questions are:
1) Can I activate the apps that I have installed on iPod Touch onto my new iPhone?
2) Can I move the app that is no longer available in the App Store from my iPod Touch to my new iPhone?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Fe1

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I've never had any problem synching any apps on my i-Devices (I have 3) from my authorised computer unto them.

As for your specific question, e.g. I have "Edge" which has currently been pulled from the App Store, yet find no problem installing it unto any of the three i-Devices.

The kicker is that you have to have kept the app in your iTunes applications folder or separately for it to work (I have an "Old apps" folder which I keep older versions of games I like, in case I don't like an update). If you're asking if an app which is no longer listed, but one which you have purchased, can be synched -- the answer has gotta be "no", because you would need to re-download it: impossible if it's not listed.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It usually does this automatically, but just to be sure, plug your iPod into iTunes, right click it, and select "Transfer Purchases."

This makes sure that everything you've bought on your iPod is copied into iTunes. (Which it probably is, this is just a double-check.)

If it's in iTunes (and both devices are logged into the same iTune store account) then the iPhone will be able to take anything it wants from your iTunes.

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Me too

I had the same question, but what about the "profiles" within the apps.

I have my workout logs from iFitness, or how about my scores and history from Rolando and Peggle.

Will they be stuck on my iPod Touch?

When I sync my iPhone 3GS with the same iTunes account, will the profiles carry over or do I have to start ALL over?

Thanks!

solidol

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
transfering ipod touch info. to a iphone, little more elaborated

Hi,

I got this complicated issue, and don't know where to start... I already search on the web... can';t find exactly what I need,, I got something similar here though...

1- I have ipod touch, and its iyunes on a PC. I just bought an iphone 3GS; so
I want to transfer my touch apps,calendar events, contacts, (everything I can)

2- the issue is, I also have a New PC, so I need to transfer my itunes (including music, videos, apps) into the other PC...

3- Actually, Two iphone (3Gs), one for my wife, another for me. I guess we will share that new PC for both (in that way, music files can be gathered on one PC).

4- So, I don't know what to do, if to first transfer my files from one PC to another.... then.. what exactly :(

Please, i'm sure someone has experienced a similar issue..... Its just that this issue look quite comlpicated for me,, especially since I don't know all the perks of Itunes and apple devices.

Thanks in advance :)
-pavel

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Hi,
1- I have ipod touch, and its itunes on a PC. I just bought an iphone 3GS; so
I want to transfer my touch apps,calendar events, contacts, (everything I can)

I m not sure but I dont think you can use an iPod touch Back up for an iPhone. I might be wrong here as I never tried this. On second thoughts, this migh actually be doable. But you`ll have to give it a try to see it for yourself. just set up the new iPhone and see if it gives you the option to use the iPod touch backup.

For the rest of the stuff its a no brainer. There might be a lot of ways to do it but these are the ones I know..

1st method. Open iTunes. Click "File"- then "Library" and then choose "backup to disc". Select "Back Up entire iTunes Library and Playlists". Once done use these disks to restore iTunes in the new computer. Now authorize the new computer with your iTunes account using the "Store" menu in itunes. Once done first sync your iPod touch with the iTunes, coz I m not sure if the Backup and restore Library also copies your iPod backups or not. Better safe than sorry. In case it hadnt transferred your iPod backups earlier it`ll create and save the backup now. Also Dont forget to de-authorize your old computer(if you no longer intend to use it for your iTunes store purchases).

2nd Method. This one looks a lot simple and easier than the first one. In fact give this a try first. Just copy your iTunes Folder from your old PC using an external HDD. Make sure it contains all you iTunes contents like mp3, videos etc. If you are not sure then first use "Consolidate Library" from the "Library". This will copy all your itunes stuff scattered in you PC to your itunes folder. Now authorize the new iTunes(on your new PC) with you iTunes account. Then drag and drop the iTunes folder (on your external HDD) to the iTunes app on the new computer. It`ll copy all the stuff from the old pc to the new itunes on the new PC. Now again first sync your iPhone(which you already set up with your old pc). Also de-authorize the old iTunes in case you wont be using it anymore.

Please note I m no expert here. Just shared what I know. These might not work for some reason. But give it a try. I cant think of a reason ehy these methods wont work.

mjstelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
It usually does this automatically, but just to be sure, plug your iPod into iTunes, right click it, and select "Transfer Purchases."

This makes sure that everything you've bought on your iPod is copied into iTunes. (Which it probably is, this is just a double-check.)

If it's in iTunes (and both devices are logged into the same iTune store account) then the iPhone will be able to take anything it wants from your iTunes.

Tried this and it didn't work for me. My iPhone is the "master" library on my Macbook. I've tried syncing my applications to my iPod Touch with no luck. I've tried every example and instruction I could find including those from the Apple support site with no luck. I cannot even download apps from the app store on my Touch through iTunes. I don't know what the hell is going on. :mad:

FireDC

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
another twist

I purchased an I pod and have used it succesfully for a while now. When it came time to upgrade my phone at the department I switched to an Iphone. problem is I registered the I phone to my place of employment (since the phone belongs to them) My ipod is registered to me of course. I have a few apps that I have purchased and would like to move them to the phone.
Bottom line I guess is.. can I moved a 15 dollar app that I purchased for work use on my private ipod to the company iphone?
I guess I should've been smarter before buying a smart phone?...lol

maiaiamx

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I need to know

I have just bought an iPhone, and I have an iPod touch at the moment. I am selling my iPod, so can I transfer my apps to the iPhone? Otherwise im gonna have to pay for all my apps again! :( :confused::confused::confused:
Maia x

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you set up your iPhone with the same Apple ID as you used for your Touch, then the apps you've already purchased should be available to download to your iPhone from the "cloud". Go into the app store on your iPhone, and under "Updates" there will be a section called "Purchased". This should list all the apps you've purchased on that ID.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.