Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'TweetDeck' Comes to the iPhone

An iPhone version of TweetDeck [App Store, Free], the popular Twitter browser for Mac, Windows, and Linux, has appeared in the App Store. The application brings a number of features to enhance users' mobile Twitter experience:

Quote:
- Tweet directly from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Manage multiple Twitter accounts.
- Stay up to date - view all new tweets in real-time.
- View notifications for new tweets received.
- Use columns to create your personal dashboard.
- Easy set-up - Sync with your existing TweetDeck columns.
- Create Groups to easily follow all your friends.
- Follow topics in real-time with saved searches.
- Reply to tweets and send direct messages.
- Easily re-tweet messages.
- Share photos with Twitpic and YFrog.
- Shorten and share links with your favorite URL shortener.
- Follow and un-follow people.
- Shake your iPhone to refresh columns.
- Manage your favorite tweets.
Kevin Rose was able to get his hands on a beta version of the app and earlier today posted some brief favorable impressions and several screenshots.

Article Link: 'TweetDeck' Comes to the iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:44 PM   #2
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

Just picked it up. Not too bad so far.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 PM   #3
airlights
macrumors regular

I still prefer Tweetie.
airlights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

More choice = good.

I don't like the interface though, looks..uhm..not standard. Don't know why they didn't go with the tab bar.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Drew4884
macrumors newbie

Trends?

Is it me? Or is their no way to see what is "trending" on twitter with this app? Love everything else!
Power Mac G5
MacBook (One day soon!)
3rd Generation - 30g Ipod
Drew4884 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:02 PM   #6
mattpol
macrumors regular

Nice, but Tweetie is better.
mattpol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:05 PM   #7
themacintoshman
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to themacintoshman Send a message via Skype™ to themacintoshman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew4884 View Post
Is it me? Or is their no way to see what is "trending" on twitter with this app? Love everything else!
I can't find it either.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Switz213
macrumors 6502

Free? I'll check it out ofc. I used to use TweetDeck until Cocoa Tweetie came out for mac. I hope they implement push, though.
Mac User since Day One.
Switz213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9
okrelayer
macrumors 6502a

i like a lot of this app. But missing trends is a huge negetive! I could see my self useing this exclusivly to keep up with certain search topics (as its really easy in the coverflow/card view ) and continue to use tweetie for my day to day.

am i the only one that wants to swipe up to get rid of the "cards" like on the pre?!
okrelayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:04 PM   #10
BigTRQ
macrumors regular

Trying to look at folks' profiles results in getting kicked out of the app, back to the Springboard. I like this software, even with the inevitable v.1.0 bugs. My older twitter app, Twitterfon, has been put on notice.
BigTRQ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:16 PM   #11
nehunte
macrumors 6502

I can't seem to be able to mention anybody when I create a new tweet. Anybody else having this problem?
nehunte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:35 PM   #12
dannyar
macrumors regular

I have a review being uploaded to youtube as i speak. Check out my channel at Dannyar10 in a bit to check it out. I like it a lot more than tweetie.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:52 PM   #13
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816

The more and more people record their lives on Twitter, the less and less they will be able to "bend the truth." If someone tells me they haven't been to Disneyland (or whatever) in over a year, and I scroll through their Twitter and find that they Twittered from Disneyland six months ago, then there will be a "paper trail." Twitter is great for keeping people honest, but just be careful ... it gives other people PROOF. It's just a matter of time before the FBI starts searching the Twitter of people they are investigating. "Officer, I was with my parents that night." ... "I have a print out of your Twitter, and here is what it says: "I was at Sally's party Tuesday night, it was so much fun!" ...

Last edited by iphones4evry1; Jun 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:24 PM   #14
scirica
macrumors 68020

Way to buggy

I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!
scirica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
crash8130
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!
Restart the phone and it runs like a dream.. Great App.. even though it lacks trends..
crash8130 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:57 PM   #16
websyndicate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpol View Post
Nice, but Tweetie is better.
My only gripe with Tweetie is it doesnt give you notifications on replies and show new tweet counts not unless I am missing something.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:31 AM   #17
trav
macrumors member

I'm loving that it stays in sync with the TweetDeck desktop app. It's about time an app does this!
TV (2nd generation)
trav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:06 AM   #18
infamous
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to infamous
Tested it out.. its neat to have but I still feel TwitterFon FTW!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:56 AM   #19
scirica
macrumors 68020

Unable to sync columns?

Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Briankeith82
macrumors newbie

Twits

I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:45 AM   #21
sellitom
macrumors member

freakin sweet!
sellitom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:57 AM   #22
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
nice that's free. i'll probably check it out. right now i use twitterfon
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:01 AM   #23
glasserp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankeith82 View Post
I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter?
Have you been living under a rock? Have you not heard about how significant Twitter has been in communication for those living in Iran and all the events taking place there in the past week? I'll argue that Tweets will eventually replace RSS as well. It's more than just "o hai just woke up and eating a bagel nao". Look at how many website distribute their stories / articles now via Twitter. Also check out this article by TechCrunch http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/14...cal-breakdown/
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:52 AM   #24
geekmommy4
macrumors 6502

So far, I absolutely LOVE the TweetDeck interface. It's very innovative compared to the other Twitter apps out.

In addition to missing the trends and syncing not working for me (as mentioned by others above), I found a couple of other things I'd like to see in this.

The first is that I'd like it to have an option to open to the oldest new post instead of starting at the top. I don't like having to figure out where I left off reading. Also, it needs to allow landscape viewing of links. TwitterFon does both of those things and has me spoiled!

However, I love the UI enough that it will be my first choice as soon as they get a couple of these things working!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:02 AM   #25
scirica
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??
Ok...apparently all I needed to do was upgrade my tweetdeck software on the pc and get an account with tweetdeck. Syncing seems to work, but the app is crashing frequently. Other than that, I really like it!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion