Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An iPhone version of TweetDeck [App Store, Free], the popular Twitter browser for Mac, Windows, and Linux, has appeared in the App Store. The application brings a number of features to enhance users' mobile Twitter experience:

- Tweet directly from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Manage multiple Twitter accounts.
- Stay up to date - view all new tweets in real-time.
- View notifications for new tweets received.
- Use columns to create your personal dashboard.
- Easy set-up - Sync with your existing TweetDeck columns.
- Create Groups to easily follow all your friends.
- Follow topics in real-time with saved searches.
- Reply to tweets and send direct messages.
- Easily re-tweet messages.
- Share photos with Twitpic and YFrog.
- Shorten and share links with your favorite URL shortener.
- Follow and un-follow people.
- Shake your iPhone to refresh columns.
- Manage your favorite tweets.

Kevin Rose was able to get his hands on a beta version of the app and earlier today posted some brief favorable impressions and several screenshots.

Article Link: 'TweetDeck' Comes to the iPhone

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
More choice = good.

I don't like the interface though, looks..uhm..not standard. Don't know why they didn't go with the tab bar.

Drew4884

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
Trends?

Is it me? Or is their no way to see what is "trending" on twitter with this app? Love everything else!

Switz213

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Free? I'll check it out ofc. I used to use TweetDeck until Cocoa Tweetie came out for mac. I hope they implement push, though.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i like a lot of this app. But missing trends is a huge negetive! I could see my self useing this exclusivly to keep up with certain search topics (as its really easy in the coverflow/card view ) and continue to use tweetie for my day to day.

am i the only one that wants to swipe up to get rid of the "cards" like on the pre?! :p

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Trying to look at folks' profiles results in getting kicked out of the app, back to the Springboard. I like this software, even with the inevitable v.1.0 bugs. My older twitter app, Twitterfon, has been put on notice. :)

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
I can't seem to be able to mention anybody when I create a new tweet. Anybody else having this problem?

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
I have a review being uploaded to youtube as i speak. Check out my channel at Dannyar10 in a bit to check it out. I like it a lot more than tweetie.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
The more and more people record their lives on Twitter, the less and less they will be able to "bend the truth." If someone tells me they haven't been to Disneyland (or whatever) in over a year, and I scroll through their Twitter and find that they Twittered from Disneyland six months ago, then there will be a "paper trail." Twitter is great for keeping people honest, but just be careful ... it gives other people PROOF. It's just a matter of time before the FBI starts searching the Twitter of people they are investigating. "Officer, I was with my parents that night." ... "I have a print out of your Twitter, and here is what it says: "I was at Sally's party Tuesday night, it was so much fun!" ...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Way to buggy

I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!

crash8130

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
I realize it's a 1.0, but they released it too early. Crashes often, and won't display all my follows for selection into groups. That's a showstopper for me and what tweetdeck was made to do!

Restart the phone and it runs like a dream.. Great App.. even though it lacks trends..

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Unable to sync columns?

Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??

Briankeith82

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
CT
Twits

I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter? :confused:

glasserp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I am dumbfounded as to why there are so many Twitter apps. Tweet this, twit that. Quite frankly, I don't care to know your status as to what you are doing or about to do, every 30 minutes. I fail to see how this is just basically a dumbed down version of facebook where all you can do is leave and read status updates. With so much more to do and see on facebook, why do so many ppl waste time messing around on twitter? :confused:
Have you been living under a rock? Have you not heard about how significant Twitter has been in communication for those living in Iran and all the events taking place there in the past week? I'll argue that Tweets will eventually replace RSS as well. It's more than just "o hai just woke up and eating a bagel nao". Look at how many website distribute their stories / articles now via Twitter. Also check out this article by TechCrunch http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/14/for-techcrunch-twitter-traffic-a-statistical-breakdown/

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
So far, I absolutely LOVE the TweetDeck interface. It's very innovative compared to the other Twitter apps out.

In addition to missing the trends and syncing not working for me (as mentioned by others above), I found a couple of other things I'd like to see in this.

The first is that I'd like it to have an option to open to the oldest new post instead of starting at the top. I don't like having to figure out where I left off reading. Also, it needs to allow landscape viewing of links. TwitterFon does both of those things and has me spoiled!

However, I love the UI enough that it will be my first choice as soon as they get a couple of these things working!

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Okay, restarted my phone, back into Tweetdeck. Supposedly you can sync the columns you have on your pc version. I find where you can "add a new column" with the option of "get from server". When I try this, no groups are found on server, but I have three groups set up on my home pc. Perhaps the pc version doesn't sync to a tweetdeck server??

Ok...apparently all I needed to do was upgrade my tweetdeck software on the pc and get an account with tweetdeck. Syncing seems to work, but the app is crashing frequently. Other than that, I really like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.