Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-...baseball-video-to-your-iphone-tomorrow-2009-6

Major League Baseball is releasing an ambitious new product today, which we were the first to tell you about in April: Live video streaming of out-of-market games for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and iPod touch. Previously, you could listen to live radio broadcasts and watch live game illustrations, with in-game video highlights. Now, you'll be able to watch the whole game, both over wi-fi and the iPhone's 3G connection. Assuming it works, this is an awesome development for any baseball fan.

Out of market only though

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I wish I would have signed up with a fake address or something.. I think that circumvents the mlb.tv blackouts, does it not? Still pretty awesome to get live video sports on your phone though... I wonder if you could hook up the video cable to a tv and watch that way? Quality wouldn't be the best but still would be cool.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I wish I would have signed up with a fake address or something.. I think that circumvents the mlb.tv blackouts, does it not? Still pretty awesome to get live video sports on your phone though... I wonder if you could hook up the video cable to a tv and watch that way? Quality wouldn't be the best but still would be cool.

For mlb.tv, I believe it locates you based off your IP address to determine what games you can watch. Like, I wouldn't be able to watch Cardinals games while in the St. Louis area, but if I travel outside STL I can. I'd imagine with the iPhone, they could just use the GPS to determine where you are.

I just wish the MLB would get into the 21st century and allow you to watch games online regardless of your location.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007

It uses your current IP address so using a fake address shouldn't make a difference. You could hook it up to a tv and watch it that way as long as you have enough bandwidth to get the high quality stream without choppiness.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
For mlb.tv, I believe it locates you based off your IP address to determine what games you can watch. Like, I wouldn't be able to watch Cardinals games while in the St. Louis area, but if I travel outside STL I can. I'd imagine with the iPhone, they could just use the GPS to determine where you are.

I just wish the MLB would get into the 21st century and allow you to watch games online regardless of your location.

Thanks for the info, I thought it was tied to your billing address but this is good to know... you could always use a proxy or something at home to get around this (right? that's how I watch US web-site video) but I suppose that's not possible with the phone.

ryant601

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
i believe it's going to be free for people with the app already. From what i gather, they're starting with 2 games a day, and eventually, all of the games will be live, much like mlb.tv.

i live in new york, but im a sox fan---good thing i can watch my games!!

this is easily the best app i've ever bought.

go sox!

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
yep the app is in the store updated now and even has dvr features to pause and rewind the live games. 2 games a day isnt that bad honestly, its kind of like they're choosing the two best games of the day as features.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
hopefully more games will be added atleast put in teams that are in playoff compettion once the all star break is over.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
this makes my 3GS purchase that much better especially comming from the original iphone

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
would like to see them make use of the pns for your home team. game time alerts and scoring updates

DHarrisDBS34

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
This is different from MLB.tv in that they only stream certain games every night, not all of them. It's still cool though, I'm definitely going to try it out.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
The schedule is now up in the app main page.

June 18:
White Sox @ Cubs, 2:20PM ET
Tigers @ Cardinals, 8:15PM ET.

This is such a hot deal for baseball fans.
2 games/day for the whole season + audio + gameday + video highlights for $10/ yr. A pint of beer and a hot dog cost more than this at any ball park!

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Oh, it's broadcasting Yankees game LIVE right now. It's bot 9.

The video quality is surprisingly good. The app does use GPS information to determine if you are within the blackout zone.

ryant601

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Oh, it's broadcasting Yankees game LIVE right now. It's bot 9.

The video quality is surprisingly good. The app does use IP address to determine if you are within the blackout zone.

im watching the game as well. it uses GPS, i read on mlb.com.

im in the blackout zone, but it's still letting me watch the game for some reason haha

the quality is incredible however, im so pleased with this app! push notifications for favorite teams would be cool though

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
wow the mlb has gotten everything correct with this app from day one...hopefully the price stays reasonable next year...

EDIT: PS IT WAS AWESOME TO TURN ON THE APP AND WATCH THE YANKEES LOSE LIVE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.