Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
wartnig
macrumors member

Going the Mac mini Home theatre route

hi, i have apple tv and a mac mini. I have now decided to sell the apple tv and use the funds to turn my mac mini into my home theatre system.
Has anyone else done this? Do ppl prefer the apple tv or mac mini?

I am hoping that i wont miss out on to many features by doing this.. i have read people struggling to get 5.1 audio from the mac mini.. aprt from that i think its a good move.

PS is frontrow the only application that can play itunes purchased movies?
wartnig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
coogee
macrumors regular

I went this route (ditched ATV, now use Mini as HTPC).
Personally, I love it, much better but I use Plex and I'll never buy an iTunes movie. 5.1 no problem from Plex.
coogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
jahama
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini media center

I setup my mac mini with eyetv hybrid, and turbo264 from elgato and everything works well. I would probably beef up the RAM to 4 Gig for performance. The cool thing is right after a show is recorded, eyetv 3 will compress it for access over wifi by either another computer or my iphone.

Also records clear QAM ("free" of my regular analog cable - which I pay $12/month for), and it looks great.

Remote is ok, could be better.

Also installed cytv to stream the eyetv signal live to my other computers in the house (pseudo slingbox).

Also running plex but haven't hooked up the TOS cable to the mac mini to try out the 5.1.
jahama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:26 AM   #4
the2j
macrumors member

+1 for the mini !

After upgrading you will never miss your Atv again (well maybe the HDMI)
the2j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:37 AM   #5
azdunerat
macrumors regular

Love my mini and plex has a great GUI, so easy my wife can use it without issue. My only suggestion is if you have an iPod touch or iPhone download snatch and the custom plex remote screens! It makes using plex much easier and a lot more fun.
azdunerat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:54 AM   #6
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartnig View Post
hi, i have apple tv and a mac mini. I have now decided to sell the apple tv and use the funds to turn my mac mini into my home theatre system.

I am hoping that i wont miss out on to many features by doing this.. i have read people struggling to get 5.1 audio from the mac mini.. aprt from that i think its a good move.

Never had an apple TV but I sold a windows media centre machine and replaced it with a mini running plex. And I'm very glad I did. Can't hear the mini during use (to be fair, couldn't hear the windows machine either, just making the point that the mini is silent as I expect your apple TV is), except for the usual noises any player makes while loading and unloading DVD drive.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

I really find that both the ATV and the mini work well together.

The mini is a great server for music and movies throughout the house. I have a drobo attached to it and it works a charm.

The ATV really does an excellent job at getting the stuff onto the tv.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:16 AM   #8
wartnig
macrumors member

cheers for the advice guys.. I have had a play around with Plex (About 6 months ago).. so will have to reinstall it on the Mini and see how it works.

I take it you wont be able to play any itunes purchased movies?

The only reason i am selling my ATV is becasue bothe the ATV and the Mini are hooked up to my TV!! So kinda makes sense to drop one.My only concern is the 5.1 surround... fingers crossed i can get this working with my movies i have converted with handbrake (ATV preset).

Does plex play MKV files?
wartnig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:02 PM   #9
scotthayes
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to scotthayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Baby View Post

The mini is a great server for music and movies throughout the house. I have a drobo attached to it and it works a charm.

That the exact route I'm planning. Any tips or advice?
scotthayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:54 PM   #10
kadeschs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthayes View Post
That the exact route I'm planning. Any tips or advice?
Get a second job to pay for it? LOL Seriously, I've been thinking of doing the same. I just can't justify the cost. I do like what the Mini can bring to the table though. Let me know how it goes.
kadeschs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:30 PM   #11
srexy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
cheers for the advice guys.. I have had a play around with Plex (About 6 months ago).. so will have to reinstall it on the Mini and see how it works.

The only reason i am selling my ATV is becasue bothe the ATV and the Mini are hooked up to my TV!! So kinda makes sense to drop one.My only concern is the 5.1 surround... fingers crossed i can get this working with my movies i have converted with handbrake (ATV preset).

Does plex play MKV files?
Plex will play anything - even rar's of non-specific formats apparently (not that I've tried this one)

I had the tv for over a year before the Mini came into being and I'm looking forward to putting it in our bedroom when my father's day gift (32" LCD panel) arrives. W/xbmc installed on the tv I should be able to stream the content off my Mini...
srexy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:00 PM   #12
richard.martin
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Buy it. 5.1 is no bother.... DTS, 2.0 it all comes thru. I use Plex and remote buddy and EyeTV - perfect, my 5 year can use it - literally....
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:52 PM   #13
geoffreak
macrumors 68020

The mini Toslink to Toslink cable I use to connect my Mini to my 5.1 surround system makes a HUGE difference over an analog connection, even if the audio isn't surround. Most receivers can handle turning stereo sound into surround sound with little effort and a great effect.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:15 AM   #14
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I've never tried it
Keep in mind you could AT WORST, if it does't 'just work' in Plex, just play these via front row, which I think you can access through plex anyway. You won't be stuck with stuff you just can't play.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Can you get the Apple Remote to work well with Plex?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:42 PM   #16
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Can you get the Apple Remote to work well with Plex?
Absolutely. I find the Apple remote to be sufficient.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:45 PM   #17
geoffreak
macrumors 68020

Sometimes I want the Apple remote to control iTunes while Plex isn't running, but it can't do that.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Bokes
macrumors 6502

What is the major benefit of going with mac mini vs Appletv?
Is it the ability to use different codecs and get better quality?
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19
SpeedFleX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokes View Post
What is the major benefit of going with mac mini vs Appletv?
Is it the ability to use different codecs and get better quality?
yes, you can also watch a dvd without the need of converting if you dont already have a dvd player.

the possibilities are just alot more with a macmini since you can add things to it
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Pigumon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srexy View Post
I had the tv for over a year before the Mini came into being
The mini was released two years before the tv... did you mean came into being at your house?

I ended up buying a NMT (hdx-1000) instead of apple tv or mini. I have a mini, but it doesn't have HDMI, doesn't output 1080P very well, and the framerate drops during 1080P playback.

So for now, the NMT is leaps and bounds better. I have a 1.5TB installed, has HDMI, Composite, Component, optical audio, no fan (no noise). Drawbacks- need parallels to take advantage of the extra linux apps, otherwise, you can just format as windows and mount it on your mac. Also, some codecs are not yet supported, but so far almost all are. Has DTS output.
Pigumon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:00 PM   #21
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreak View Post
Sometimes I want the Apple remote to control iTunes while Plex isn't running, but it can't do that.
Try this out, I've been using this on my Mac mini for Plex, iTunes, Safari, Google earth and more .. all on the living room big screen using only the Apple remote (even shutdown the mini from the apple remote):

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mo...88d9eee1483390

Its really worth the look if you only want one remote to access everything on your mini

Hope this helps
aduteau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 04:35 AM   #22
srexy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigumon View Post
The mini was released two years before the tv... did you mean came into being at your house?
... snip
Yes
srexy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:37 AM   #23
soLoredd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Baby View Post

Agreed. I bought a $250 Mini off ebay after getting my 40GB Apple TV. I don't need the Mini to do anything but stream from an attached 1TB MyBook. I thought about doing the Mini-only thing but this way I can keep my Mini hidden away with the attached HDD and the Apple TV leaves a small footprint. One HDMI cable, one TOSlink cable, and power cord.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:19 PM   #24
mscriv
macrumors 68040

What would you guys say is the lowest available system requirements to use a mini as a successful home theater system? I'm mainly looking to use it for movies and internet on the big screen in the living room. Movies are obvious, but using the net I would like to do basic surfing, google maps, hulu, and other media access like tv shows availalbe online, etc. Do you need the latest model maxed out to be able to do all of this or would a previous generation work. I'm assuming you need to have an Intel model, but would a 1.5ghz be sufficient? My budget is pretty tight and if I can buy a used mini to make this work that would be great.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:23 PM   #25
geoffreak
macrumors 68020

I can only confirm that a 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo is enough to play 1080p without any problems. I wouldn't recommend going any lower than this model.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater