Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Of course I had to try it....

Well after about 2 and a half hours of looking at an Apple logo I decided something wasn't right. I opened up a chat with tech support and we went around with it for about 10 minutes before I decided to try to put the iPhone in DFU mode and do a restore. Well that finally got it working again, but tech support had not heard of this yet. Just an FYI for anyone else that needed to use the feature.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
isn't that the point of it? that you wipe everything and disable the phone?

The wipe everything part, not the disable your phone part. Tech support confirmed that after the wipe you should be able to plug it into iTunes and restore from a backup in case you find your phone. The point of remote wipe is not to brick your phone.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
what happens if said thief gets ahold of your phone and restores from a backup floating around the interweb?

How would a backup of your contacts, emails, pictures, etc be floating around on the internet? The point of remote wipe is strictly to keep someone else from getting your data... thats it. It is not to punish someone who stole your phone by making it not work, it is just to make sure they can not get your personal data.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
How would a backup of your contacts, emails, pictures, etc be floating around on the internet? The point of remote wipe is strictly to keep someone else from getting your data... thats it. It is not to punish someone who stole your phone by making it not work, it is just to make sure they can not get your personal data.

I wish there was a way to punish! Like a 50'000 V shock delivered via the find-my iphone program. (Mind you, if an ex knew your log in details you could be in trouble.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.