Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi:

I had an iPhone with FW 2.2.1 and BB 2.30. I am looking to use ultrasn0w on Friday.

Today I upgrade the phone to 3.0 firmware. Eventually I got a message "insert a valid sim with no pin". Indeed, I didn't have a SIM card inside as I didn't think I needed it to upgrade the firmware. I decided to put in my Rogers SIM just to see if I could use the iPhone programs with it inside (I don't expect it to be unlocked yet). I tried restarting and now I just get the Apple logo and it isn't doing anything.

What should I do next? I don't have a working SIM, at least a SIM that won't work until it is unlocked.

What should I do next?

Thanks

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I tried restoring but it is still telling me I need an original SIM, which I don't have.

Here is what I did:

1. Held down both power and home for 10 seconds.
2. released power and held home for 5 seconds.
3. itunes told me recovery mode.
4. I clicked restore in itunes.

Shouldn't I still have access to the iPhone without activating it with a SIM?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I tried restoring but it is still telling me I need an original SIM, which I don't have.

Here is what I did:

1. Held down both power and home for 10 seconds.
2. released power and held home for 5 seconds.
3. itunes told me recovery mode.
4. I clicked restore in itunes.

Shouldn't I still have access to the iPhone without activating it with a SIM?

No, it needs to be activated
QuickPWN would do the trick by "Hacktivating" it. But it's not released yet:(

urbanmojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
OK, so I just have to wait until QuickPwn for 3.0 comes out and then I will not need an AT&T sim card, is that correct?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
OK, so I just have to wait until QuickPwn for 3.0 comes out and then I will not need an AT&T sim card, is that correct?

Sure is.
I am a little worried though, the dev team said that their updated tools would be released soon after 3.0 was released. It has now been 11 hours, and still no word from anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.