Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 19, 2004, 05:59 PM   #1
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Really stupid argument about the iMac

Well a fried of mine wants to sell me a 256 MB card of DDR SDRAM, PC 2100. But my computer takes DDR SDRAM, PC 2700. I don't think this would work since he is trying to sell me a PC 2100, and my computer is 2700.

Could sombody tell me (or point out an article on the internet) if it is possible to put a 2100 card in a 2700 slot?

I bought my iMac (FPD) in late November, and was after the the updates. (USB 2, DDR SDRAM).
Old May 19, 2004, 07:10 PM   #2
magid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to magid
The memory your friend is trying to sell you wil not work because it is too slow to work in your iMac. You might have been confused about this because you can use faster ram in a slower computer that is certified at a certain speed. Hope this helps
magid is offline   0
Old May 19, 2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

PC users tend to overclock anything.

On the Mac the overclocking doesn't not get you as far, with the way Apple is stuffing crap into small spaces.

Sure you can try the Corsair overclocker's memory in your Mac, but generally will have to dump the heat spreaders to get airflow. And without the heat spreaders, you don't really want to do it.

There's lot's of room in the G5, but not for heatspreaders without blocking airflow, and it's a tossup which is better --> airflow around naked dimms or heatspreaders in stale air (since they will block airflow between the dimms).
Old May 19, 2004, 07:38 PM   #4
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by magid
The memory your friend is trying to sell you wil not work because it is too slow to work in your iMac. You might have been confused about this because you can use faster ram in a slower computer that is certified at a certain speed. Hope this helps

Thanks, good to know, you just saved me $35.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:23 PM   #5
Celeron
macrumors 6502a

For what its worth, the slots are the same. A dimm slot is a dimm slot no matter the speed.
Celeron is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers